PDA

View Full Version : Redi Melt heater

Longone
08-24-2013, 12:12 PM
I was given this heater and pot set up and need some help setting it up. It looks like it was made to sit on top (thread into) a propane tank. But all the newer tanks are side outlet and this won't work too well on it's side. Anyone seen or using one of these or have any suggestions on setting it up? The pot is 8" across and 5 1/2" deep.

Thanks, Longone

dbosman
08-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Old style tank. Somewhere between 8 and 20 lbs.
If you can fabricate a stand, your local propane dealer may have a hose assembly for it.
But... Check prices first. You may find a turkey fryer for what the hose will cost.

Hawkeye45
08-24-2013, 02:58 PM
It looks like the plumbers pot that I have used for the last 30 years or so. It replaces the factory installed valve on the steel tank. IMHO.

Mr. Ed

Smoke4320
08-24-2013, 03:51 PM
It looks like the plumbers pot that I have used for the last 30 years or so. It replaces the factory installed valve on the steel tank. IMHO.

Mr. Ed
That is correct.. a plumbers lead pot and yes it replaces the valve

Kskybroom
08-24-2013, 04:55 PM
??? How Does He Refill The Tank an Will Fit a Tank With a Handle

Longone
08-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. The best part is it came with about 150 pounds of lead. I did some looking for Turkey fryers and it looks like you can buy the heater separate from the pot so now I have an idea of how much money I should put into getting this running again. Anyone have an idea on the thread pitch?

I'll check with our local gas supplier to see what they have in mind.

Again, thanks Longone

mdi
08-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Or, if you're not familiar with gas hoses/fittings, you could take it to a welding supply and they would prolly find you a hose/fittings that will work. I'd try that just so I could have a "cool" melter...

Spruce
08-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Longone,
As others have said it is a plumbers furnace, and the valve screwed into the top of a tank. The brass valve unscrews from the cast iron furnace top, with a rubber gasket in between. That's how the tank was filled by the gas co. Some propane co. might remove the new valves from a tank and screw yours into a tank, if they still have a refill valve. Check with several suppliers.

Other options are remove the brass valve and screw on a cast iron base that comes with a needle valve. That's what I use. Check this place, circlemfg.com , 570-585-2138, they have pots, gaskets, laddles for smelting, but may only ship to a plumbing supply.

The other options are creative. The tank thread I think is a pipe thread and might screw into a pipe coupler which could be welded to a plate to make a stand. You would also have to install fitting for a regular gas hose to connect to.

I also have a table model, where the 3 legs from the furnace bolt onto a sheet metal base with a hose fitting. Hope this might help. I like this type furnace, and use mine for smelting and casting from another pot. You might want to fabricate a wind screen. Have fun, good score on furnace and lead.
Spruce.

casterofboolits
08-31-2013, 11:31 AM
That is correct.. a plumbers lead pot and yes it replaces the valve

+3. I've been using one for 30 years too. Problem is , most propane dealers won't refill it. I have to drive to a commercial operation to get it filled. I'm trying to replace it with a turkey fryer now.

Longone
09-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Well my propane dealer set me up with a hose and fittings so I can just hook it up to a new style tank. Now all I have to do is build a base/ stand, when it's complete I'll post some pics.

Longone