PDA

View Full Version : Any difference between old Pyrodex and new Pryodex?

hornady308
08-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I just opened my last old canister of Pyrodex. It was purchased new in 1982 and the canister is made primarily of cardboard. It works fine, but seems a little less powerful than the current stuff. Just wondering if there has been any change in the recipe over the years. I don't think humidity is the issue because this can was kept in a climate controlled area.

Boerrancher
08-24-2013, 10:04 AM
I haven't used Pyrodex since about 1988 where I bought a can of it and didn't like it. It was supposed to be cleaner burning than real stuff, it wasn't. It was supposed to clean up easier than the real stuff and it didn't. So I never messed with it again.

Best wishes,

Joe

rmark
08-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Oldest Pyrodex I've shot was 2002, it worked fine.

mooman76
08-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I have some older Pyrodex like 20+ years old and it still works fine. I haven't heard they changed the formula. They usually put something like that on the can if they do, like New improved formula. I'm sure they probably have done some minor tweaking over the years. Mine isn't stored in what I would call a climatized place either. The garage. Dry here but does get hot at times. It is in a plastic container too.

fouronesix
08-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Have half a cardboard can from the mid-70s. That was enough for me. Doubt they've changed the formula much otherwise all the earlier pressure and load data would have to be updated with warnings plastered all over the place.

Nobade
08-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Same formula, but it does degrade over time. The time depends on the storage conditions. Nasty stuff all the same.

-Nobade

hornady308
08-26-2013, 10:31 PM
The only reason I am using Pyrodex is that I have one rifle that does best with it. I have 8 blackpowder guns and all of them do great with real blackpowder, except for a .58 Lyman Trade Rifle (made in '78) that insist on pyrodex. Murphy's Law, I guess.

451 Pete
08-27-2013, 08:50 AM
There may be a small difference in your older cans of Pyrodex from what is being made today and not because of the age or how it was stored. If I remember correctly back in the 1980's they had an accident and the original inventor of Pyrodex died and took part of the original formula with him. Experiments had to be done, the powder was reverse engineered and for a short while the propellant was hard to find but the powder was re-introduced and claimed to be and perform exactly the same as the old.

Pete

bob208
08-27-2013, 03:45 PM
where real black powder does not go bad. pyrodex degrades fast .

roverboy
08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
I know guys that have had good luck with Pyrodex but, not me. It used to hangfire some and I went to Goex Black ffg with no problems. I wish anybody that uses it, good luck.

deep creek
08-29-2013, 09:16 PM
pyro p works great in my whites and knights! am i missing something? 90grns of pyro p behind a 450grn pp conical is deadly accurate and clean up is no worse than 777 or black. i guess each to thier own.

hornady308
08-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Idaho may not have the humidity of the South. I believe Pyrodex is more hygroscopic than blackpowder or 777, and I know that Pyrodex is more corrosive. Other than that, it is great.

HARRYMPOPE
08-29-2013, 11:23 PM
In a couple of traditional rifles i shoot pyrodex works as well as black.When i tried it in a 20ga and 12ga smooth bores with patched RB is when the black shot much better.My 20 year old plastic jug still shot like the new stuff i had.

Good stuff i believe.

OverMax
08-30-2013, 07:29 AM
If you've got powder that 20 years old. You haven't been shooting enough. No big deal if its lost a little of its zip. But that said. I'm not fond of Pyrodex myself. I much prefer to roll my own as I know my powder doesn't get much of a chance to age. A motto to remember: Unlike cheese. Powder doesn't get better with age.

jabilli
08-31-2013, 08:25 AM
I would guess it's just the fact that it's aged, but I'm no chemist. :-p

OP- Are you sure it's weaker or could you be tricking yourself?

where real black powder does not go bad. pyrodex degrades fast . - I'm a bit curious: To what degree does it degrade? Is it just a smaller bang? I'd imagine that if you can notice the difference, it would be somewhat significant. How long does it take for Pyrodex to degrade assuming it's stored well?

I know guys that have had good luck with Pyrodex but, not me. It used to hangfire some and I went to Goex Black ffg with no problems. I wish anybody that uses it, good luck. Very likely you already know this, I read somewhere not long ago that it helps to use magnum caps with Pyrodex, as the ignition temperature is significantly higher. What kind of caps were you using when said hangfires occured?