PDA

View Full Version : Need help from you squrrel hunters

Fly
08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
I want a crockett 32 cal really bad.But money is a little short.I could do it
but have to deal with Moma.But I got to thinking.Is there a barrel maker
that could make me a .32 cal barrel for my GPR, at a decent price?

Or should I just buy a Cockett & put up with the yelling.

Fly :roll:

aspangler
08-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Take my advise. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Try reduced loads for what you have or try shot loads in what you have. You and momma will be happier.

starmac
08-23-2013, 05:14 PM
I reckon this all depends on whether you want a crockett worse than Mama.
I have always found it is easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than permission before.

Cosmiceyes
08-23-2013, 05:21 PM
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12251280/rifles-for-sale/muzzle-loader-rifle/thompson-center-cherokee-.45-caliber-black-powder-rifle-set-trigger-octagon-bbl
This is a super gun.Currently listing on auction at 151.00 and there is a .36 or .32 barrel already made for it!

PK3335 Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle Kit .32 Caliber Percussion $575.00
Dixie Gun Works
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162_192

Squeeze
08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
thats a lot harder than you would think. most barrel makers only make small caliber on rare production runs, and several big names are dropping blackpowder barrel making alltogether. A while back, I tried to get a barrel made for a TC cherokee in .32 BUT I wanted the cherokee 1-30 twist I could have gotten something in a 1-48 twist, but I wanted what I wanted. I tried contacting many barrel makers, most didnt even reply, the ones that did gave a hasty answer, basically not interested. a few dealers did reply, but they all said it would be approx a 1 year wait. these small cal BP are getting harder and harder to find, thus the demand is greater than the supply...price goes up so, your best options are to look at a traditions deerhunter in .32 a bit cheaper if you can find them, try to find a used CVA varminter, or squirrel rifle, OR buck up, and just get the crocket you want. If thats what you have your heart set on, you may never be fully satisfied with an alternative, and buying that, may break the bank for the gun you really want, leaving you to just live with the next best thing... One last option, is to have one custom made for you. which really usually is a much better rifle than anything production factories do. one builder I would recommend, who focuses on quality rifles on a budget is http://mikelange.homestead.com/ check out his site, or contact him, BUT if you REALLY been wanting the crocket, save a while and be patient. you may never be happy with what you had to settle with, just because it was second choice, and getting the second choice, may break the bank for ever getting what you really wanted. Just some things to ponder, as you dream of sighting down that crocket barrel at the head of an...."attacking" squirrel

Pat I.
08-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Plus a .32 caliber barrel on GPR is gonna be mighty heavy.

Junior1942
08-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Plus a .32 caliber barrel on GPR is gonna be mighty heavy.Yep......

rodwha
08-23-2013, 08:29 PM
I've looked into the same thing for my Deerstalker. It's very hard to find exactly what you want.

wgr
08-23-2013, 09:09 PM
bobby hoyt will do it
lost his address but someone should know

Boerrancher
08-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Buy a Crockett and be done with it. When dealing with wives and guns remember these two things:

1. Wrong is something your wife knows you've done. If she doesn't know you've done it she can't call it wrong.

If she finds out...

2. It is always better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Been happily married for many years and it always works for me.

Best wishes

Joe

Good Cheer
08-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Mr. Hoyt is currently swamped with orders so don't get in a hurry.
I'd really like to get him to make a medium twist .36 to shoot round ball as well as use paper patched from .38 caliber pistol molds. I just haven't figured out the how-to's for a left hand breech.

mooman76
08-24-2013, 11:47 AM

I've picked up a few bargains that way. A friend of mine had an old Double barrel he wanted to sell me. I jumped on it when he offered. His wife would only allow him to own 3 guns so if he wanted another, he had to get rid of one. Just don't tell here. Most wives don't know what you have gun wise and if you keep it put away for awhile, eventually when she sees it, you can say oh that, I've had it for awhile.

Rick N Bama
08-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Most wives don't know what you have gun wise and if you keep it put away for awhile, eventually when she sees it, you can say oh that, I've had it for awhile.

Shhhhhh, please don't give away our secrets:)

Rick

enfield
08-25-2013, 08:02 AM
If your creative, I took an old (rusty bore) 50 cal muzzleloader barrel and a length of 1/2 hydrolic tubing from the local machine shop ( hydrolic line for equipment measures .50 outside and about .36 inside ) it fits perfectly down the barrel . I then drilled and tapped the breach plug to take a 7/16 fine thread piece of bolt and tapped the end of the liner to secure the inner liner to the main barrel. oh I guess I had to make a new bolster for the nipple to go through both barrels too. o.k it's a bit of work but you could pay a machine shop to make those 2 pieces and locktite the liner into the old barrel and you got a great little smooth bore that is pretty accurate. I shoot a patched .350 round ball or a 38 case full of #9 shot. you can use as little as 5 grains of powder for fun so your powder and lead bill will make momma very happy .

TCLouis
08-25-2013, 01:40 PM
What about 25 grains or maybe less in your current smokepole?

Little testing and you may be able to get some practice in with your deer gun.

Boz330
08-26-2013, 08:37 AM

You could point out what a deal it is, whether it is or not. Then the savings on lead and powder because it uses so little. And you can point out the savings on the grocery bill having all of that wild meat to eat instead of $10 a pound beef.:kidding:
Personally I just slip them into the safe and keep my mouth shut unless asked which usually doesn't happen. But I also have my own checking account or use cash. Kind of tough if you're working from a joint account.

KCSO
08-26-2013, 02:54 PM
I use to use Orion barrels to make interchangable barrels in 15/16 for the GPR but I have used up my last small caliber barrel. In 40 these made a dandy target and samml game outfit to a GPR. Problem is that now a good barrel wil set you back almost as much as a Crockett rifle.

451 Pete
08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Fly

I'm kind of jumping in a bit late to the conversation but another thing to consider is that for you to swap barrels in your Great Plains Rifle you will also need more than just the cost of the barrel. Sights , the patent breech plug, an under rib , ram rod thimbles, a couple of under lugs for your barrel wedges and a ramrod. Add it all up and the Crockett may not be too much more for the budget.

Just my thoughts .... Pete

Fly
08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Fly

I'm kind of jumping in a bit late to the conversation but another thing to consider is that for you to swap barrels in your Great Plains Rifle you will also need more than just the cost of the barrel. Sights , the patent breech plug, an under rib , ram rod thimbles, a couple of under lugs for your barrel wedges and a ramrod. Add it all up and the Crockett may not be too much more for the budget.

Just my thoughts .... Pete

Ya Pete I think getting the Crocket is the best way to go.I just need to do it around the wife.She control,s our money.I need
to sell or make some money she don't know about.I,m working on that.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

Junior1942
08-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Ya Pete I think getting the Crocket is the best way to go.I just need to do it around the wife.She control,s our money.I need
to sell or make some money she don't know about.I,m working on that.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

FlyFly, isn't there someone in your or your wife's family who plays golf at a country club? They spend the cost of a Crockett Rifle every month! Tell the wife you might take up golf. Or bass fishing! Or honkytonking!

John Allen
08-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I want to thank all of you for yet again requiring me to buy another gun. I have been reading these posts about the 32 cal Crocket guns and have now determined that I truly need one, not want one but NEED one.

dondiego
08-27-2013, 12:04 PM
John Allen - You definitely NEED one. Squirrel season is upon us!

Boerrancher
08-27-2013, 04:13 PM
I want to thank all of you for yet again requiring me to buy another gun. I have been reading these posts about the 32 cal Crocket guns and have now determined that I truly need one, not want one but NEED one.

I can assure you that once you get one and start shooting both PRBs and Maxi's out of it it will quite possibly become your go to gun for causal hunts and walk-a-bouts. I know mine has, and if not my Crockett I pack the trade gun if it is really wet out.

Best wishes

Joe

Sergeant Earthworm
08-28-2013, 02:19 PM
old squirrel hunters trick: shoot the branch just below the squirrel, not the animal. The impact will drive pieces of bark and splinters into the critter, resulting in dead critter and less meat damage. I'm sure this approach will work well with a .50 caliber PRB or otherwise.

Then again, if it is a new gun AND squirrels you are after, that is a different matter...

Junior1942
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
old squirrel hunters trick: shoot the branch just below the squirrel, not the animal. The impact will drive pieces of bark and splinters into the critter, resulting in dead critter and less meat damage. I'm sure this approach will work well with a .50 caliber PRB or otherwise....Not necessarily resulting in a dead critter. The first squirrel I shot AT with my Crockett Rifle was flattened out on a limb on the other side of a small creek. This was soon after I got the rifle and I hadn't learned to slow down the ball. It was going circa 2,000 fps. It hit that squirrel with a loud WHOP, and the squirrel fell off the limb and hit the ground WHOOMP and didn't move a muscle! Dead as a doornail, I thought.

I had to walk some 100 yds up the creek to find a crossing log so it was 10 minutes or so before I got to the squirrel. It wasn't there. I searched diligently but to no avail. So I walked back up the creek to the log and crossed again.

Standing in my original spot I looked with my binoculars up to the original spot on the limb, expecting to see blood. I clearly saw the whiteish mark where the RB hit the limb beneath the squirrel's head. All it gave him was a headache and maybe a belly ache from hitting the ground.

OverMax
08-28-2013, 04:49 PM
An a~~dapter kit would work. No!! Not for you fly. But for the better half once she finds out about that Crockett rifle your pine'ing for. If it seems you can't make any head way with the Mrs's concerning that sweet little 32. My advice:
Get that letter off to Santa early.

Sergeant Earthworm
08-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Not necessarily resulting in a dead critter.

Point well made and taken. What I was getting at is that hunting squirrels with a .50 is well within the realm of doable. I've hunted small game with my .75 smoothbore loaded with #5 shot, just saying there are many ways to go about it.