PDA

View Full Version : It has become "that time"

OeldeWolf
08-23-2013, 01:36 PM
I went to the doctor last week, and had a talk with him. With reduced hours/day (7), and especially with short weeks, my income has dropped about even with disability. Sometimes below.

I have been working 5 days a week, and spending weekends recuperating enough to do it again.

Well, the doctor wrote the letter. I now need to find out the hows and amounts of state disability, and file for ss.

It looks like the challenge of staying employed is going to change to the challenge of filing, then to the challenge of staying busy. I have some disabled friends, they are all teasing me about it, lol.

Any tips on making this lifestyle change? Never thought I would get to this at 54. And not even a big accident to justify it, just genetics.

mroliver77
08-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Ya, keep it to yourself as you will be looked down on by many on this forum. I say this kinda tongue in cheek but it bothers me some of the bashing of anybody that is on the Gov "tit".
I am on disability. I paid in to the plan for many years. I had no other choice but to sign up. I hate it!
I have had people at church tell me "You look fine" "You get around well" If they only could see me crawl to the shower on Sun morn after eating double pain pills! An hour of Sunday school followed by an hour of church service then eating out($4.50 @ China Buffet) I am pretty much out of service until Tues.

My advice is to find a hobby that don't cost much. Listen to your Doctor and try to not be too macho. Watch your calorie intake. Weight is your enemy! Cast Boolits can keep you busy if your housebound. Try not to isolate (like me). It is good to have somebody to share the darned ole doldrums that can come with not working.
Good Luck
Jay

PS Document everything and look at your doctors notes. My Lawyer told me my spine doc won the case for me. I still had to pay the lawyer.

g5m
08-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear it. Best wishes.

dilly
08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Mr Oliver is right about weight. Many people are able to balance a rather unhealthy diet by activity, but certain disabilities prevent activity to a degree. As a healthcare worker I've seen many cases where disability causes obesity and obesity causes the disability to spiral out of control and absolutely ruin a person's life.

And don't worry too much if anyone tries to look down on you! It's none of their business and they only have a right to look down on you if they are in the same physical position you are, in which case they probably wouldn't. Seriously, don't let it get under your skin.

If I were disabled though I might look into paper patching... time is really the barrier that keeps me out of that.

dbosman
08-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Find the best disability lawyer in town.
If you don't need them after the first visit, great.
My father worked 32 years for a steel corporation, and finally had to stop, in his late fifties. It took well over a year and having a good lawyer working on it for him to get anything.

KYShooter73
08-23-2013, 02:17 PM
I've handled many disability cases, just not Kalifornia. Expect to be rejected on your initial application. Be prepared before you apply, that means get all your medical records before you apply. In KY, a patient is entitled to one free copy of all medical records. Index them by physician/date and bind them up in a folder. I can't tell you how many applications get denied just because doctors don't send in records on time. Expect a bullcrap independent medical exam. Doctor says raise your arms and count to 10, then files a report saying you can work.

If you get denied first time around, get a disability lawyer. Won't really cost you a dime. The lawyer gets 25% of the back pay from the time you claim you were disabled until your application is approved. If you lose, lawyer don't get paid. Pm if you want more info. I can't do it for you, but don't care a bit to share my experiences.

jsheyn
08-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Aint no one going to look down on you. I dont anyone who isn't willing to help a person in need....The people looked down on are those who dont need help and work the system.

country gent
08-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I just went thru this in Ohio I had a lawyer ( UAW legal) I Have multiple schlrocis and it has caused balance issues numbness and some other problems of a more personal note. I stayed working as long as I could. Every orientation I went to for a new plant I was sent home unable to perform duties. I filled for SS disability ad was denied 4 times before even getting the exam. It was noted that I was uncooperative in the report since I would walk with out the cane in my hand in case. Doctor also made note I smelled of mariuana. Be prepared for alot of games. I filled out the same paper work 6-7 times. There is no rhyme or reason, no common sense in this process. I was awarded disability back to filling date at the hearing Judge ruled the govts Doctors exam didnt match my actuall issues and didnt merit any consideration. Be prepared. Its a long trip. Hope things arnt to bad for you. As to hobbies watch what you do as certain activities can merit a change in findings.

Trey45
08-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I am disabled and on SS disability and have been for over ten years, and yes you do get looked down upon. I have had people tell me flatly, You look fine, you're not disabled. At which time I kindly offer to drop my pants and show them the scars from my surgeries. For some reason they always decline my offer, mumble something apologetic under their breath and scurry away. Had a "man" tell me I was wrong to park in the handicapped space because I wasn't in a wheelchair (I have a placard I hang on the mirror when I do need those spaces).
You WILL get denied the first time you apply. There are almost no exceptions to that "rule". Keep applying, get a lawyer, be prepared for every appointment and don't miss a single appointment. SS and SSD are not entitlement programs, they are programs that each one of us pays into our entire working lives. You have a RIGHT to your own money.
Be prepared for your life to change. It will. For me it did at least. I am not the same person I was before I got sick. Pain changes a person.

gray wolf
08-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Some people are just scum, why the Helll give a crappp what they say.
There your friends ?--doubt it-- A true friend would never put you down.
Then again some/most don't think like I do.

KYShooter73
08-23-2013, 03:24 PM
There is no rhyme or reason, no common sense in this process.

That is the absolute truth. I quit doing these in my business for this reason. Now I only work on these for family or close friends. I once had a man denied with hepatitis, diabetes, an tuberculosis, with only 1/2 of a lung remaining. I've had 3 die while waiting for a ruling. I've had others healthier than me approved first time around. Sorry about being graphic, but my point is, keep fighting and appealing.

375RUGER
08-23-2013, 04:09 PM
There is a list of disabilities that do not get challenged, check it. I wish I could point you to the list but last time I saw it was in 1995. Maybe I got when I made the initial application. A disability lawyer may be able to provide that list. Your Dr. should be very specific about the diagnosis so that there is no question if your ailment is an unchallenged one.

Duckiller
08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
I am suspious that the closer you are to retirement age the better chance you have to get a disability approved. My wife when she was in her early 60's got a socal security disability with no problem, no lawyer, just filed and provided Dr. info. Good luck with your filing.

Wayne Smith
08-23-2013, 09:34 PM
My understanding, at least for SSDI, is that the initial application goes to someone who basically checks it against a list. If your issues do not fit that list it gets denied. You should automatically appeal that one, no lawyer needed. This sends it to a board that actually reads and attempts to understand what the applicant is saying. If you have a single cause or an obvious inability you will get it then. More complex cases, especially those with multiple causes that are additive, will be denied. Now you get a lawyer, because the next level is a board hearing where you get to argue your case. From there the appeal, if you are denied, goes to a judge for another hearing.

Regardless of how long the process takes when you are accepted you are paid from the date of your application, not the approval.

Try to find a doc with a good sense of humor. I once had a reviewer of a client's SSDI write me and ask if he could fold towels in a hotel. My response was that, yes, he could fold towels in a hotel. Unfortunately we have no idea when he will become frustrated enough to light them on fire.

He kept his disability.

MaryB
08-23-2013, 11:42 PM
I filed for torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders, carpal tunnel, nerve damage in my left leg, and the big one is my spine is basically trashed and slowly fusing itself together. Rejected twice with that list of issues, got a lawyer, finally got a hearing a year later. Got in front of the administrative law judge and he ripped the SS rep a new hole. Asked him how th ehell do you expect her to work in her old industry (repairing industrial electronics). SSA rep said she can't. Then the judge asked what job could I be expected to do with doc appointments, PT every month, time missed because I didn't sleep from the pain etc. SSA rep just sat there with a red face and it took him 10 minutes to finally say nothing. They have to look at your education level when they determine what you can do, I had no college degrees so they couldn't dump me into a desk job. Got 3 1/2 years of back pay and my lawyer was a nice guy and he fixed his fee at a set amount that was less than he could have collected.

One thing is stay busy, I still do some physical stuff now and then and then pay for it but you can't quit living. Trying to figure out a deer hunt for this fall where I don't have to walk in to far off a road.

bob208
08-24-2013, 12:03 AM
no shame at all. we worked and paid into the government scheme now it is our turn to get some of it back.

Bzcraig
08-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Looks like you've got plenty of support here. People will make comments out of ignorance that will just tick you off but remember they are speaking out of ignorance. Do your best to stay as healthy and active as you can without causing harm to yourself. My wife is disabled but its not visible to the uninformed and it was a huge struggle to find balance. Life does change. We used to RV but had to change, that was a difficult transition. It also caused several years of relational stress working through it all. Praying for you brother.

fatelk
08-24-2013, 02:07 AM
People will make comments out of ignorance that will just tick you off but remember they are speaking out of ignorance.
+1 to that. As long as you know you're not gaming the system, don't worry about what some people think.

I know it's not the same, but I went through a period of extended unemployment and went back to school a few years ago. I was out of work for the whole first half of '09 before I started school (seemed like half the county was out of work with more lay-offs every day). I would get occasional comments like "I could never be out of work that long, I'd be working at McDonalds or digging ditches." Usually from well-meaning hard-working manly-men whose lives are defined by their work, but it sure made me feel like a worthless bum. It's easy to feel a bit depressed in times like that.

I finally realized that I was doing my best for my family, was NOT gaming the system in the least, and it didn't really matter what they thought.

As to the application process, it sounds like there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here with good advice. I hope it all goes well for you.

walkswithsticks
08-24-2013, 03:43 AM
I paid into the system, like most of you guys, all of my working career. I looked at it like paying insurance premiums. Now, I have filed a claim and am receiving the payments from that policy.

After a nasty bump on the forehead, I was diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury. I stumbled around the office for a while before realizing that the Doctor's were right- I had to retire. Unfortunately, I retired in mid December and nearly died of cabin fever that first winter. If you have a choice, retire in the spring allowing you to be active.

Do not COPE with your disability. Get help and learn how to MANAGE your life. Your list of "can't possibly do' can be discouraging, but your list of "can Still do' should be your priority.

Here is an interesting observation as I sometimes use a power chair and sometimes can use two canes. I notice that about 90% of men over 30 years old will hold a door open for me. Of that 90%, 90% do it with no acknowledgement. It is something that they do for another man, and it does not merit making an issue out of it. The other 10% will make an acknowledgement and will sometimes inquire about my condition.

On the other hand, about 90% of women will flat out ignore the fact that I need help with the door. Of the 10% that do hold open the door, about 90% 90% will give me the most maternal gaze.

The majority of men will stop and allow you to use the crosswalk. Very few women will offer that courtesy. Different upbringing, I suppose.

One of the biggest things that I had to learn concerned Help. First, I had to admit that I needed it, then I had to learn to accept it when offered, and most difficult, I had to learn to ask for help.

Most importantly, through clinical education, I have learned to manage my altered life. I have accepted those things that cannot be changed, and enjoy what remains.

BruceB
08-24-2013, 05:13 AM
The posts on this thread are very worrying to me.

You see, I'm within a week or so of making my first application for disability benefits, and I had no idea what to expect.

I'm now 70, and have had my left leg amputated just below the knee, as well as also having the front 1/3 of my right foot amputated. Healing has been VERY slow (diabetes) and I still am not able to get out of this $%^&*(#$ wheelchair since June 2012.

From reading this thread, I'm now expecting some rough sledding in my campaign to receive disability payments.... but, it's better to know in advance just what to expect. Thanks for that, gents!

Ramar
08-24-2013, 06:23 AM
BruceB "I'm within a week or so of making my first application for disability benefits, and I had no idea what to expect."

My understanding, (if wrong please someone correct me,) your disability check is the same amount as your SS retirement benefit amount. If you are not collecting SS then your disability benefit will be what you would receive at retirement. If you are already collecting SS and become disabled, I didn't think there was anything more SS could do for you, except Medicaid maybe?

I thought you disability benefit amount could not exceed what your retirement benefit amount would be if you were determined to be 100% disabled.

I'm easily confused lately and I maybe I'm getting SS benefits VAs mixed up.

mroliver77, " Try not to isolate (like me)."
I isolate big time; family and only couple real good friends. I have no time for BSers and the like with my limited time left.
Ramar

longranger
08-24-2013, 06:57 AM
First let me say a Lawyer cannot negotiate you a better deal,i.e. more $, disability benefits are carved in stone based on type of work and age.They can only help themselves to a portion of your benefits, you are best served to read and understand your rights and the requirements for such benefits. You will need a Lawyer if treatments are being denied,employer is trying to replace you or your trying to scam the system those folks need a Lawyer. Legitimate claims speak for themselves when required documentation is provided.
Once a Lawyer is employed you can no longer speak to your Human Resource people, it all has to be done through the Lawyer and you pay for it.

Ithaca Gunner
08-24-2013, 07:35 AM
My wife had to go on disability at age 50. Yes, her initial application was rejected and it took her lawyer almost another year to get her benefits approved before a "judge". Medicare began about a year and a half after that. It's a tough road to getting the benefits you deserve and paid into all those years. Get a good lawyer who specializes in it from the get go!

Trey45
08-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Ignorance of this magnitude is something else you'll have to deal with from time to time....

You will need a Lawyer if treatments are being denied,employer is trying to replace you or your trying to scam the system those folks need a Lawyer. Legitimate claims speak for themselves when required documentation is provided.

km101
08-24-2013, 12:59 PM

You see, I'm within a week or so of making my first application for disability benefits, and I had no idea what to expect.

I'm now 70, and have had my left leg amputated just below the knee, as well as also having the front 1/3 of my right foot amputated. Healing has been VERY slow (diabetes) and I still am not able to get out of this $%^&*(#$ wheelchair since June 2012.

From reading this thread, I'm now expecting some rough sledding in my campaign to receive disability payments.... but, it's better to know in advance just what to expect. Thanks for that, gents!

Bruce, it is possible to get approved on the first application. I am living proof! But it is not the norm. It depends a lot on the type of disability and your Doctors. I am lucky that my disability (vision) is easily quantifiable and I had good Dr.'s to back up my claim.

Just remember that even though the process may be drawn out, once you are approved you get payments from the time you filed, not the time you are approved. So the silver lining is that you could have a sizeable "nest egg" coming at the end of the process. Keep your spirits up and keep appealing if you are denied. Somewhere down the line you will find a person in authority with some sense and judgment who will see things your way.

popper
08-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Most of the above advice is very good - and free. Wife works in Med insurance. Her biggest gripe is the lack of good documentation. Get copies of your medical reports!!. Make sure they are correct. Limit your activities to what is accepted for your disability. Aka, if you are claiming being crippled, don't join a bowling league or go on a hunt. Watch your expenses, it may be a long time before you get bennys. Depending on your financial situation you may be entitled ( I hate that word) to more than disability.

lylejb
08-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Not nessassarily, Bruce.

My wife had cancer, and applied for SSD at age 44. She had plenty of medical documentation thru her treatments, and was approved first time. The lady at our local SS office was nice.....Yes, I said nice, and was very helpful. The process took about 6 months. They paid back benifits from the time she became disabled. In her case, her first surgery.

I also heard horror stories, and feared the worst. It didn't happen in our case.

I'm sure you have plenty of medical records documenting your conditions, which SS will have you sign a paper so they can see them. You might just get this first shot.

mroliver77
08-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I "won" the first time through. It took almost 4 years to get in "front" of a judge. He was in the state capital and on a TV screen.
In Ohio the lawyer gets either X% or a set fee whichever is smaller. My doc was thorough and had sent me to the right Drs. in advance. well he was trying to fix me. He advised me to get a large trapper keeper type deal and keep everything in it. It became huge! It also helped me to win as the Lawyer was a putz.

The guidelines also look at age. In my understanding under 50 is an automatic flop. It has been a while since I went through the process. I got a letter after Ohomo was firmly entrenched that they were to reevaluate my case. I gave them my Docs # I got a letter a few months later that they reevaluated their revaluation and I was good to go for now.

There are days that I feel pretty good. I can almost walk normal some days. I get a lot of guff about pain meds. "You gotta get off that chit" I have heard over and over. "That stuff is bad." is also often heard. Nobody has a good answer when I ask what the alternative is. The Whitlesshouse is on a crusade to stop pain med abuse. Unfortunately everybody is looked at with suspicion.

Uh, the worst comments I have heard(read) have come from some well respected members here on CB!!
J

Ehaver
08-24-2013, 04:13 PM
People may look down on being on disibility, but you earned it. You have tried your best to make it to work and deal with everything. People forget sometimes that when you are out and about you are having a "good day". I see no shame in this. Best of luck to you.

MrWolf
08-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Good luck - hope you get it the first time. I know what you mean as I am in pain everyday also but I can't take painkillers at work, so I deal with it. I will work until I can't but only you can decide when that is. I also get the "you don't look hurt" BS or you kill yourself to get something done around the house and pay for it for days after and hear but you were able to do such and such. Prayers with you that it works out for you.

OeldeWolf
08-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Thank you, all of you, for your comments and support.

I do look pretty good, unless I have to get up off the ground, pick something up, get out if a chair, walk after sitting, etc. I see the GP next week, will have him start getting the documentation together, and will call the rheumatologist.

MrOlliver77, I have a lot of pain, but manage most of it through biofeedback training I did as young man. It does not stop the pain, but ratchets your awareness way down. But it took some pain meds to reduce the body's physiological reaction, like high blood pressure and worsening my diabetes. It might be an option, to reduce the amounts you take, maybe get you a little more "good days" out of the mix. Maybe, as everyone differs.

And I will have to watch the isolation bit. I do not have that many friends locally, and many are much older than I. In addition, my gf has Asperger's, and tends towards agoraphobia.

dilly, I have also thought about paper patching, especially as I would like to be able to cast for my rifles. And I can already see weight is going to be something to fight. the rheumatologist says aqua-aerobics, but the classes are held during working hours, though that will not be a problem in the future..... I will just drag the gf along with me.

Trey45, you are correct about pain changing you. I have found myself having to consciously exert patience, or bite my tongue. And the frustration when your hands/arms/knees just do not do things they used to do with ease. It can get to me, at times. Or having to take a break, just when whatever you are doing is just starting to go well.

KYShooter73, I appreciate the reminder and encouragement. I am not one to give up, but pain and discouragement sure slow me down. I will need to watch out for that.

I will ask about the list, 375RUGER. Another fibro patient I know said it was on the list, perhaps she can point me to the list. Thank you.

MaryB, I hear you loud and clear on the doing things, even if you pay for later. That is basically a description of my work week. And at my gf's hearing, the judge told the SS representative that she should have never have had to go as far as a hearing, as it was an obvious case.

fatelk, I was where you were at one time, also. It took a profession change to get back to work.

walkswithsticks, first, what a great monicker. Yes, realizing, then admitting, that I need help, is very difficult for me. And asking for help even more difficult. I am learning, though. This week, I watched the sister missionaries do more for my living room, than I had been able to do in a couple of years. It kind of drove home how bad I have gotten. And the house has gotten. This is going to be a struggle, balancing what I feel I Should do, vs what I Can do.

BruceB, I am thinking you may only have the standard difficulties. I will add a prayer. along with one for everyone else.

I want to say a very big thank you to al of you, and everyone here on cb. I do not log on unless I feel I have something to contribute. But reading here is something I consider a "good" part of my days.

BruceB
08-24-2013, 06:41 PM
One more question, if y'all don't mind:

I was still working a full-time job at age 69 (in 2012) when I was hospitalized after shift one morning with heart trouble. That was the last shift of my long mining career.

My employer stuck by me for many months, holding my job open from February until October. At that point they simply HAD to permanently replace me, and gave me a medical discharge. The problem was that my workplace ( a minesite) is simply inaccessible to a wheelchair, and I was obviously a LONG way from being able to walk to my jobsite.

The question: Considering my age, and the circumstances around my discharge, am I even eligible for disability benefits? Opinions welcome....

Wayne Smith
08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Bruce, are you collecting Social Security Retirement? I had a client who was on SSDI - he turned 65 and his payments switched to Social Sercurity Retirement. Did not change the amount.

BruceB
08-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Yes, for about the last six months I've been collecting the SS retirement payments. I was hoping to augment that benefit with the disability benefit as well.

Going from a $100K annual income to a fixed pension income is a real shock, especially when it happens right out of the blue without any warning!

mold maker
08-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Just don't ever give in, or give up. Yesterday is past, today is almost over, and Tomorrow is a new day.

Uncle Jim
08-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Best of Luck to You. I am Disabled Myself. I was forced to stop working at 50 due to a stroke, 2 TIA's, and 3 heart attacks in less than 6 months. It took SSDI From May till Feb. To determine my claim, but I got it first time. Excelent documentation from my Drs.

wv109323
08-24-2013, 10:02 PM
I fought SS Disability for seven years. Yes seven years. Get a lawyer up front. Get a local lawyer that is well known for disability cases. The disability lawyers and the ALJ are in bed together to make a long story short.
Expect anything. Keep a copy of everything and expect to fill out the same paperwork time after time. If you go before a ALJ for a hearing secretly tape record the hearing.
Here are some of the things that happened to me:
I was in a hearing for one hour and 10 minutes. The audio recording of the meeting that I got from SS was 28 minutes long.( much of the hearing was erased).
My report from the judge said that I "left my family and went to live with my mother in North Carolina". I did not ever leave my family and my mother lives in WV.
After waiting for 14 months to see the ALJ, The State Psychologist said " I can not read your doctors records, They are scriblings and I can not render a decision". My recommendations are to fully read and know what your doctors records say and mean.
Social Security said I did not appeal my case and that I had lost my case. I actually appealed it three times because SS did not enter my appeal in the computer records over a five month period.
Social Security in Falls Church ,Va. told my lawyers office that they were four months behind in opening their mail.
The judge after a second 14 month wait did not show up for my hearing.
SS said that both my wife and I were deceptive and untruthful.
The ALJ asked questions about my retirement and my financial standing that should not be a part of a decision about my disability.
Talk to your lawyer and find out what to say and not say in the hearings. That is why to get a local disability lawyer.
The judge wrote so many things in error in his decision that I doubted that the decision was even mine. It is a frustrating, crooked, and unreal experience. You will leave the process thinking less of America as a free, honest country.

MaryB
08-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Once you reach full retirement age you automatically go from disability to social security. Once past retirement I don't think you can even file for disability. I cleared a small patch of brush today for 2 more solar panel arrays. Going to really pay for it the rest of the week but it had to be done.

One thing they can't do is say you can work just because you can do something one day. The criteria is being able to do it 5 days a week. Many people will say I saw you lift x, doesn't mean anything if you can't do it for a standard work week. By the time I was done after 2 hours today I had to use a shovel as a cane to get back to the house.

country gent
08-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I sat for 45 mins in the witing room for my hearing another 20 in a room with my attorney then 45-50 in the hearing. I was 3 years getting to the hearing. When the judge "dismissed us. I stood up and knew I was in trouble from all the sitting. I started for te door behind my attorney and on the 3 rd or 4th step almost fell when my foot snagged on the carpet. The judge SS rep and work specialist all seen this happen. The work specialist was saying I could work and quoting jobs that in my trade take 20-40 years senority to get and hold. Niether of these two profesionals took into account the urgency issues caused by the MS. In the judges ruling he ackowleged the almost fall leaving. The numbness issues, the urgency issues and vision issues. He had apparently read and listened during the hering. The work specialist, SS rep, and SS Doc were all ruled as not applicable to my case. I was awarded back to filing date. But be aware also if you are collecting ins or sick pay from work a portion of the back pay may have to go to the ins as over payment. I got 64XXX in back pay but the Copany Ins took 59XXX in over payment from it. Look at a everything and have your lawyer check everything so there are no suprises. My medical retirement is the same awarded back to 12-12 and overpay goes to ins. Its very hard to keep up with and understand at times.

Ramar
08-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Wayne's post #33 I am in agreement with. This was also my experience Bruce. SSDI became SS retirement benefit and no change in the amount. I imagine there is some financial aid available but I've never pursued that and have no knowledge of entitlements.
Ramar

GaryN
08-25-2013, 11:15 AM
I don't look down on anybody that is disabled. Especially the ones that paid into the system. It's the people working the system that bug me. The ones that go into the grocery store with their food stamps and then go out and get into their Cadillac Escalade. I also have a problem with the way the government has handled all the money that people paid into the system.

OeldeWolf
08-27-2013, 01:48 PM
thank sll of you for your writings. I have little prospect for work this week, so will be checking on options. The lawyer for socsec, will not even talk to me till I have been denied the first time. So am looking into state disability.

mroliver77
08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
We don't have such a thing as state disability. Welfare and medicaid is all we have. There re tons of programs one can apply for. Listen while in lines and the scammers and dirt balls know every place to get a handout and how to game the system! I hear them telling how to not pay your electric bill for months. Then you take your shutoff notice to X office and they will pay it all etc, etc.

As far as the pain pills. I have been to pain clinics, shrinks, massage blah blah. I live with a lot of pain! I hate the friggen pills. My Doc gets mad as I usually do not take as many as he would like me too. It is a vicious circle! Like country gent if I am out and about even setting for a few hours my legs don't cooperate well. Pills take the edge off but your body knows the pain is still there.

I never realized so many of us here were messed up!

MaryB
08-28-2013, 12:47 AM
I fill the prescriptions and stockpile extras for the time that may come when they aren't available. What the doc doesn't know won't hurt her.

country gent
08-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Actually I am on the "lucky" side of disabled, with the MS my pain is minimal my issue is numbness of thre legs and feet also right hand. Makes walking hard especially on uneven surfaces.Cold is a real issue for me as I dont feel getting cold till Im close to frozen. Heat has its effects also. But getting out in the sun helps alot. I can over do it really easily. Im still doing all I can and probably more than I should. You need to pay attention to surroundings and whats going on more, In cold I limit my time out doors, bundle up well, and stay moving as much as possible. Heat is just an issue you cant dress for it easily oor legally (LOL) it drains me of energy quickly. To combat this I keep fluid intake up and try to make use of shade when outside. Learning your needs capabilities is a first step. I worked as long as I could and it got to the point in the summer I would have to stop on the way home and take a nap for 10-15 mins at the half way point. But the biggest thing is to never give up dont give in keep fighting to stay as active as you can.

pmeisel
09-02-2013, 04:42 PM
I feel your difficulty. I am not permanently disabled, but recent medical difficulties have me in the similar situation of needing all weekend to recover from the week, and I am usually dragging from Wed. pm to Friday. The good thing is, I think my situation will clear up.

One piece of advice, when you are not working, keep a routine. Having order to your days is beneficial. For a little while in my recovery, I didn't, and my days and nights got turned around, couldn't sleep when I wanted to, had to sleep when I wanted to be awake, etc.....

10 ga
09-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I never realized so many of us here were messed up!

I'm sure every single one who posts here has a friend, relative, or family member that is disabled in some form and many themselves are disabled. The posts are a view of how things are for many people. I have a good hunting buddy that was hit by a tree on the job and had a TBI. He can't drive at all or even leave the home without assistance. Just seeing him you'd never know what he deals with every day. I'm retired and have been his taxi for a lot of Dr. visits and such as his wife works. He was lucky as he had over 30 yr. on the job but was only 52 when injured. He got good advice from family and friends and had a good lawyer from the get go to deal with the agencies. He also had a very good workmans comp. advocate. Yes, he got his disability retirement 1st application but had the typical rejection from SS 1st application. He is slowly beginning to get better but will never be able to work again.

I now have another list for my daily "prayer warrior" chants. Best to all!

10 ga

MaryB
09-03-2013, 01:20 AM
I have gotten out of my routine and you are right, I have gotten my sleep mixed up with half my days. Sorta works though because I have telescopes and an observatory and pull the occasional all nighter if it is clear and not windy.