PDA

View Full Version : boolit droppings

krallstar
08-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Dropping a bunch of boolits on a towel. After they cool and i sort them out. There is some stuff on the towel. Kinda crystal like. I also find this stuff in the sprue plate holes sometimes. Is this a problem.

RobS
08-23-2013, 08:41 AM
No..........if it's just from your cutting of the sprue and if this is so your mold is a bit too hot. Cool your alloy in the pot a bit, slow your tempo down and see if that helps. Although some molds like it hot for fill out especially when using antimony alloys and/or alloys with little tin in them in which you will probably need to keep the mold hot i.e. faster casting tempo with a possible hotter alloy temp.

youngda9
08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
boolit droppings...Your boolits need to be potty trained. Drop them straight into the toilet from the mold. This also serves to harden the bullets. :wink:

mold maker
08-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I have 2 molds that the taper doesn't go all the way through the sprue plate. There is a drilled portion ~1/16th" deep at the cutting surface. This makes little puck shaped droppings sometimes. Other than holding on to the sprue occasionally, it is just a minor inconvenience.

Idz
08-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Make sure your towel is 100% cotton. If it has any plastic in it you'll get crusty white bits stuck on your bullets.

trixter
08-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Make sure your towel is 100% cotton. If it has any plastic in it you'll get crusty white bits stuck on your bullets.

Now that is good to know. Thanks