PDA

View Full Version : Those that ordered Ballisti-Cast Mark IV's and MArk X's

6bg6ga
08-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Just wondering out of those that ordered MArk IV's and Mark X's did they arrive as ordered? I talked to one individual that told me that he had ordered a Mark IV with a digital control and a manual model arrived. Did any others have this happen to them?

Are there some out there that ordered MArk IV's and MArk X's that haven't received them yet.

Those that have their machines ....How would you rate the quality? Features? Would you buy one again? Would you like to see any added features on the machine?

Care to share pictures of your Ballisti-cast?

ssnow
08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Going from the information posted in the Mark IV and Mark X Group Buy thread;

Originally Ballisti-Cast had said that they could/would produce 6 Mark IV machines. During a later conversation with Derek, he told me that they made 4 of them. They only had 4 committed orders in the thread, and that's all they ended up producing.

I personally know of 3, one to you, one to a gentleman in Texas, and I have one. No idea where the 4th machine went.

There were 4 committed Mark X orders made in that thread. There was a few other guys talking to them that may have placed an order, but it was not listed in the thread one way or the other.

No one mentions having received a Mark X before the shake-up at Ballisti-Cast, and I'm fairly certain that there has been none produced since then, based on my conversation with Bill. (although that was not specifically discussed.......just my personal understanding of the situation)

So; of the orders placed in the Group Buy, it appears that there were no Mark X's produced. Ballisti-Cast never mentioned them as being completed, and never posted that they were invoicing for them.

No Mark X's produced/finished, but 4 Mark IV's shipped out. (3 that I have personal knowledge of) I think that's as far as they got before the shake-up.

6bg6ga
08-22-2013, 07:11 PM
ssnow,

Thanks for the information. It pains me to see the shake up at Ballisti-cast. In my opinion they make a heck of a machine. I have no idea myself as to how they are progressing or if they are. My wish is that they get the problems ironed out and can go forward and produce their line up.

ssnow
08-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Yeah, it's a bad deal all the way around. Bad for Bill that he thought it necessary, and bad for Mike and Derek for it to come to that after all that they had accomplished. It's always sad to see a rift in a family.

Bad for us customers because it means more delay, after having waited so long. Because no matter Bill's intent, the people who were producing the product are gone, and he is basically starting all over. It's a tough row to hoe.

I spoke to Bill yesterday. He says he is working and making good progress on the Mark II machines, which are commercial casters. The web site says they will be ready in September, and I think he will probably meet that schedule, at least to some degree.

He says he now has a few molds programed, and is working on that. He gave no estimate on projected mold delivery, and I did not press the issue because it was clear to me that he really didn't know how much longer it will take.

It appears to me (just my personal assessment) that his current priority is for the Mark II's, and getting the molds programmed. I do not expect to see any more Mark IV's produced, and do not expect Mark X's any time soon. I expect they will produce the Mark VI sizer again, but no telling when, considering the current backlog.

ReloaderFred
08-23-2013, 01:10 AM
I've watched the Ballisti-cast Company for quite a number of years and it's always struggled, which is a shame. It has gone through numerous owners and they seem to last a few years, at most, before it's sold again. The equipment seems to be solid and the couple of molds that I have are well made, but they were made a couple of owners back.

I'd really like to see the company make it. I don't know if the current owners purchased the rights to the H&G mold designs with the company, or if it's even necessary anymore? At any rate, I hope it survives and they make a success of it.

Fred

6bg6ga
08-23-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm sure Bill has had the best interests of Ballisti-Cast on his mind but I do question the way it seems to have been done. If I were faced with the problem I would have had a sit down meeting. This meeting would have been a fact gathering one to see what had been ordered, sent out, and so forth. I would have pushed the concept of a combined effort with Bill acting as a mentor. Having been faced with very poor working equipment a time study should have been done to obtain a time frame on product machining, assembly, and shipping. This information would be helpful in assessing the need for job specific machinery and work smart attitude.

I haven't emailed Bill for a while but I did offer to come up to their facility and see if I could be of any help looking at their operations and possibly suggesting alternate ways of doing things that might be more cost effective and more productive.

Thru personal experience with the Mark VI and the Mark IV I can tell you they make a heck of a machine. It would be a loss for all of us if they didn't make it. I have every confidence that they will make it but I personally would feel better seeing Mike and Derek back as well as the rest of the crew.
Things might have happened too fast and not having 40 years of experience they may have made an error or two but the main thing is their hearts are in the business. I personally got to meet and talk to Mike, Derek, and one of their machinists. You should have seen the intensity they had in setting up my Mark IV and making sure it was 100% as well as listening to me when I mentioned possible options for their machines.

Just my .02

barodi
08-24-2013, 06:03 AM
I have got the Mark X, but minus Fans and mold carriers, not done, 100% quality and I will by again.