PDA

View Full Version : realigning mold

mrblue
08-20-2013, 08:50 PM
So I was casting with a lee mold and water dropping. WEll i was going along, did a drop heard a weird kind of metal hitting water. I looked in my pail, see something not silver lead looking, Looked at my mold and sure as stuff. I dropped a alignment pin in the pail. HUh, So i pulled it in. Rewarmed it and the mold and slide it back in. Ive tried to pour with the mold again and its dropping my boolits with a slight alignment. Ive done all i can think of to help moved the pins in and out and still nothing. Any times or shoudl i sell it off and start a new?

500MAG
08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Anytime I've had this happen it has turned out to be a slight layer of lead stuck somewhere on the inside of the mold or in the alignment pinholes.

mrblue
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Will steal wool solve the problem?

500MAG
08-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Before I'd take the chance of ruining the mold, I'd send it back to Lee. I was a bit embarrassed when I read the letter, they sent back with it, stating that there was a small amount of lead keeping it from aligning and also told me to do a better job of lubricating the mold. Anyhow, the mold works fine now. Also, send a couple of the misaligned boolits with it.