PDA

View Full Version : Cool bbl vibration video.

Harter66
08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
I saw this and thought it might make explaining bbl ''whip''easier . It is certainly obvious here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozyw84Swmb4

USAFrox
08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Dang, that looks a lot more extreme than I ever realized it was. Unless that barrel is more flexible than the norm. I liked how that first case slowly ejected spinning right into the camera. Cool!

prs
08-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Watch the damn fool bash his eye with the scope! Time after time after time! He uses almost zero eye relief. The scope is bending more than the barrel unless it is an optical artifact.

prs

USAFrox
08-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Well, he does have one of those nifty rubber accordion bumpers (whatever you call 'me) on the end of the scope, but you're right about the scope flex. Never thought about that before. It's a wonder with all that movement that these things can still accurately put shots in the same vicinity.

Harter66
08-20-2013, 02:50 PM
It looks like a 7.62x54R . I know an S k S pretty well (I know its an ak cousin) the bbl is skinnnny from the gas port out . Like .7 skinny for the last 12'' or more. Did you notice how much the gas port moved ? I was actually suprised by how ridgid the action stayed w/the bbl hopping all over.

nighthunter
08-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Maybe just me but I'm very curious to know how much the flash suppresser effected the barrel and I'd like to see several shots from a different angle and slower speed to see if the projectile has exited the barrel before the majority of the barrel movement takes place. It is interesting to view this video but remember there is more than meets the eye here.

Nighthunter

Dale in Louisiana
08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Skinny barrel on those things. It adds to the flex.

It is well to remember that the Eastern Bloc's 'sniper' role is more akin to our 'designated marksman' role.

I have run into several owners of Eastern Bloc 'sniper rifles' who were surprised that a stupid ol' sixty year old Garand will ring the gong right alongside them all day, without the scope.

dale in Louisiana

geargnasher
08-21-2013, 12:55 AM
MmmmHmmmm. Anyone loading for accuracy in any rifle should watch and ponder how they're going to build ammunition that launches a boolit so it exits the muzzle to exactly coincide with the same point in the wiggle every time. My gunsmith just informed me that my 24", .30-caliber bull barrel droops eleven thousandths under it's own weight, imagine how much it moves at 45K psi.

Gear

Harter66
08-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Here's a shamless ad that has a heavy bbl AR that wags every bit as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xr_RG_lcNk

willie_pete
08-21-2013, 04:47 AM
That's why I use a ladder test for load development.

WP

303Guy
08-21-2013, 04:51 AM
The trick is to not have the muzzle at a node - then it changes angle and points away from the bore line. If it moves parallel then its fine. I was playing around with a barrel vibration program and was astounded by the degree of movement and angle change predicted. Now I see it was right.

popper
08-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Note all those videos are of guns with gas ports and the 'whip' is parallel to and after the port.

geargnasher
08-21-2013, 11:27 PM
The gas blocks add weight to a point on the barrel, creating a secondary node ad the center of their inertia. Ever wonder why Mauser barrels have several diameter steps?

Gear

MaryB
08-23-2013, 12:45 AM
PSL 54's are notorious for flexible barrels and poor accuracy after a couple shots.

303Guy
08-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Ever wonder why Mauser barrels have several diameter steps?I heard it said the steps were to break the harmonics pattern that forms in a smooth taper barrel or something like that. Not sure what difference it actually made. That barrel vibration is why SMLE's had cork packed fore-ends.