PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Vietnam Veterans: Da Nang Valley

Adam10mm
08-20-2013, 02:35 AM
If any forum members served as a Marine (or Corpsman) in (with) the 1st Division during the Vietnam War in the Da Nang valley 1968, I'd like to chat/speak with you about a local guy here that claims that fame.

waynem34
08-20-2013, 08:37 PM
You may find someone willing to chat about that time and place but very unlikely.I knew only one person that was around there at that time.He was always hushed for the most part.He told me some things that happened.I think I was the only person he ever told, at least his wife said so. I was about 15 at the time.I'm 42 now.There was a picture of his best friend hanging with his metals.He would never speak about him.His wife told me later his friend didnt make it back and he was a true war hero.My mentor.Not really sure but I think he said he was 82ndAB.Good luck and God bless .

waynem34
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Sry.A friend just stopped in and we where talking about our friend and he informed me Its was the 101st and its on his license plate along with a purple heart and star so maybe he would talk.I felt stupid but owell.We are headed to the post to shoot some pool ,prolly a few guys there that were there.Most of those guys will not talk too ya and ifin they do be real polite.To say the least.Edit

08-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I'd be suspicious of this guy. Sadly, there are too many who have selfishly used the heroism of others to promote themselves. Those who have survived battle, have witnessed their buddies being wounded or killed, and seen the myriad horrors of war, generally are not wont to talk of it.

If it turns out that, indeed, he was there, he has my utmost respect.

Adam10mm
08-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Some stuff he talks about makes him seem legit, but he never goes into further detail about his unit other than he was with the 1st Marines in the Da Nang Valley 1968. He maintains he was standard rifleman company. No recon, black ops, Tiger Force type stuff. Just a Marine rifleman doing his thing.

waynem34
08-21-2013, 04:25 PM
And then again he may have been there and done that. Those marines were battle hardened. I've heard of a few that lived in my neighborhood. Long time ago WWII, Korea, vietnam, some of them all three.They had to leave a few times but was always able to return home. No worse for the wear I might add. These guys were the most dangerous thing on the planet. I'm 42 so I was just a thought at the time it ended. I've had several friends that were there, one stayed awol the whole time doing drugs , the others a chopper pilot that was shot down over the hanoi hilton, and the other is infantry soilder that crawled in and out of holes. Also one fellow was pushing lots of paper in the rear. He said he wished he woulda had a gun. But was glad to be where he was at. Nother fella at the post bore burns from other **** they used. Our post lost several great members the last few years. Most of them buried right round hear. Very uniQue individuals. Maybe we should try and talk with relatives.

Jammersix
08-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I've had several friends that were there, one stayed awol the whole time doing drugs , the others a chopper pilot that was shot down over the hanoi hilton, ...

Problem. The Hanoi Hilton was the nickname for Hoa Lo Prison. It was located in downtown Hanoi. I've never heard of a helicopter being over it, much less being shot down over it.

montana_charlie
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
I've had several friends that were there, one stayed awol the whole time doing drugs , the others a chopper pilot that was shot down over the hanoi hilton.
I imagine it was a special event for any helicopter to go north of the DMZ ... much less as far as Hanoi.

I wonder how that AWOL guy got home ...
CM

08-21-2013, 07:42 PM
. . . one stayed awol the whole time doing drugs . . .

AWOL in a war zone could be considered desertion. Either way, I haven't any respect for him.

TCLouis
08-21-2013, 08:49 PM
No, I am sure the AWOL just came to a base and surrendered as an AWOL and was returned home . . .

OR

He was in the black market and bought a ticket home through a neighboring country.

As it was explained to me that the did not consider it desertion because there was "no way home from in country.

Truth be known it was probably just too much effort to do the paperwork and hold a court martial.

I would say choppers went north of the border, but were Jolly Greens picking up downed pilots

starreloader
08-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Don't know how many will respond to your request, for the most part very few of us talk about our time across the pond... I was in the Da Nang Valley from Dec 66 to Feb 68, did a few months around Hill 55, then played around 3 different locations out in the Bon Song Valley that was just south of Da Nang .. The GREEN WEENE never gave me a nice tourist vacation.. Spent a whole year prior to my trip to Da Nang in the wonderful vacation land of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba..

I know this was not what you are looking for but that is the best I am giving.

Paul S.