PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Stith scope mounts

scrapcan
10-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I have a set of scope mounts that I have been trying to find info on and ultimately to find a suitable home for. One of the bases is marked Stith mounts.

Pictures are attached. It is a three piece mount with screws. rear mount has flip up peep blade. and is marked M3R2. Front base is marked M2W. under base for front sight with elevation or lock screw ( did I say I don't know what these are?) is marked M1R. All are in excellent shape. I do not have rings. only mounts and screws.

Info would be great and offer for a new home would be even better. If you have either let me know maybe we can make a deal. I am looking for 6.5x55 reloading items. Dies, brass, bullets, mould, boolit sizer dies, etc...

KCSO
10-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Manly
Any idea what they fit? I'll look through my 6.5 stuff when i get home.

scrapcan
10-17-2007, 04:34 PM
KSCO,

No Idea. It looks like a very interesting type of mount. There is a hex rod that the rings attach to and they have windage and elevation adjustment on the bases via the hex rod. The box they are in is an old weaver box that has stith and 721 rem hand written on the box. I have not idea if that is what they are actually for though.

scrapcan
10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I am off to the library for the old rifle scop ebook to see if there is info on the mount in there. I will report back on what I find and hope someone here will have something.

I looked through my old shooters bible volume and have not found the stith mount in the copies I have, which is only a few.

fourarmed
10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
The screw spacing for the 721 is the same as the long action 700, and the holes look about right. They appear to be very similar to the old Bausch & Lomb mounts for the Balvar and Balfour scopes.

Char-Gar
10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
The Stith scope and mounts were made in San Antonio Texas during the 195O's. Their line of scopes were called "Bear Cub"... does that sound familiar? Stith was bought ought by Kollmoregen Optical who continued to make the Bear Cub until they there bought out by Redfield.

These mounts used some special rings that are perculiar to those bases.

Dale53
10-17-2007, 07:14 PM
The Stith mounts were adjustable and were intended for scopes that had no adjustments (the adjustments were in the mounts). They were well made and worked well.

They were used in the days when scopes were fairly new to the scene.

Today, with positive and reliable internal adjustment scopes, the need for adjustable mounts are not great.

Dale53

jhalcott
10-17-2007, 10:02 PM
I have an old 2x8 Balvar scope that has no adjustments. It requires a set of bases similar to the ones you have. Most of the bluing is worn from "friends " fondling it. The lens' are a bit spotty.

scrapcan
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I found this in the book "Old Rifle Scopes" by Nick Stroebel

The mount is a Stith master Mount for the Remington 721. As those above have stated it is for scopes without internal adjustments and it uses a specific scope ring that fits into the flat base piece of the front mount.

Jhalcott,
What does the ring look like on your old scope? It may be a fit for the mount and it might make a nice package for someone looking to complete a vintage collectors period piece.