PDA

View Full Version : Blacksmiths Are Bad Influences

Blacksmith
08-18-2013, 02:11 PM
I spent the last four days hanging out in the Blacksmith Shop at Rough and Tumble and discovered the Blacksmiths are a bad influence on me. One of my friends asked if I would be interested in stuff for .44 Mag reloading. I said that since I didn't have a .44 Mag it would depend on what it was and if it was cheap enough to use as trading stock. To make a long story short he had 1,000 once fired brass, 400 commercial Boolits, 100 Hornady XTP J-words, and a set of Lee dies. He wanted to trade so he asked for a brick of .22 LR, well I insisted he take 3 bricks of Aguila and a box of CCI Quiet, I want to keep him as a friend. Did I do alright?

So then I was talking with another Blacksmith reloader about my trade and he started telling me about how much he likes his Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag and some of the loads he uses etc. When I got home that night I had a message that I could pick up my latest purchase from the LGS. As an aside Maryland has passed a new Calif./NY gun law that goes into effect Oct. 1 and the current "7 day" wait for a background check had taken 90 days due to the backlog of people buying guns before the new law takes effect.

Next morning I go to the LGS and finish the transfer. Low and behold in the case is a used .44 Mag Blackhawk. So I say to the FFL I guess there is no way to get that Blackhawk before Oct. 1st is there? Wouldn't you know he says "Oh yes there is." So I look it over and should be able to pick it up Sept.22.

So now I am poorer, I won't have any trading stock, and I need another Mold.

What .44 Mag molds should I be on the lookout for? I guess I will want two to start, one for target work and one "Thumper" for maximum effect. Which ones do you like?

And stay away from Blacksmiths they are a bad influence.

Hickory
08-18-2013, 02:21 PM
For target work the 429421 is a good one.
For thumpin' the 429640 HP Devastator will do the job.

And if you want to let go of a few hundred empties keep me in mind.

clownbear69
08-18-2013, 02:25 PM
As the trade goes from, you got a better deal for sure. It was very good of you to give more in the sake of a friendship.

But then again it seemed he had no value in the stuff he had. SO getting rid of it for anything of value to him was a good deal.

Your in the reloading world, even if you didn't go and get that Blackhawk, youd be able to use that for trade because you know the people that could've benefit even more

You did good, as far as your moulds no idea but at least in my 629 it like 240 grs with a combinations of different loads behind it

Echo
08-18-2013, 02:30 PM
I also like the 429215 for a lightweight (200 gr) thumper. SWCGC, designed by Ray Thompson, can be driven at very respectable velocities.

ph4570
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
My Redhawk likes the Lee 429-200-RF. I have the 6 cav mold and get a big pile of boolits real fast. With 9.5 grains of Unique it is an accurate, light plinker load giving me one ragged hole at 25 yds off a rest.

mroliver77
08-18-2013, 05:30 PM
For target work the 429421 is a good one.
For thumpin' the 429640 HP Devastator will do the job.

And if you want to let go of a few hundred empties keep me in mind.

Dennis is half right. The 429421 is a good target boolit. For hunting I would choose the 429421 though. ;)

I think Dennis hollowpoints rocks for his slingshot!! lol
J

GaryN
08-18-2013, 05:58 PM
429421 is a pretty good one. But you need to slug the barrel to see what it is. Rugers tend to run a little big. And lymans tends to run a little small. I really like the Mihec rerun that is in the group buys right now. I think it is a little better than the 429421, but that's just my opinion. My gun really likes it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?202158-Rerun-Mihec-H-amp-G-503-Clone-432-250

Hickory
08-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Dennis is half right. The 429421 is a good target boolit. For hunting I would choose the 429421 though. ;)

I think Dennis hollowpoints rocks for his slingshot!! lol
J

J;
The 429421 is an excellent boolit for both hunting and target.
However, I have also found that the 429640 HP while it may not be as accurate, it definitely kills deer a little better than the 429421.
Dennis

PS I don't own a sling shot.