PDA

View Full Version : Student of the Boolit.

Cag40Navy
08-17-2013, 11:46 PM
I am always amazed by this forum. Even since I joined earlier this year, I have been able to learn new things. Today was my chance to actually learn the basics in how to cast under BrassMagnet. (Im only 18 with no parent to do this with.) We first met just last Thursday at a food drying class after finding out about it from him. We planned for Friday but it ended up being today. (Plus, I promised I would write this up.) So the adventure started at 0930 today by driving the maybe 3-4 miles to his house from mine. I brought with me my 30-06 brass in which he serviced for me so I cant thank him enough. When I got there, he fixed me a cup of coffee. So after bs'ing for a while, he got things set up and showed me the first couple times with all the pointers, then he set me off while he was working on my 30-06 brass. Before I was set off, he taught me how to put lead into the pot and how to flux it. Pretty simple process once you've seen it. Then, I was set off on the molds making boolits.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/100_2463.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/raptoreaglephotos/media/100_2463.jpg.html)
BrassMagnet's set-up I worked over for a few hours. Molds from left to right: 7mm, 100-year old 32 cal, another 32 cal, 4 cav 30 carbine mold.

I was able to get great results with the 32 cal molds but the dang 7mm was being a PITA. With the single cavity molds, I did pretty good once the things heated up. I even got to work with a 100-year old single cav mold. It was just awesome to be able to do what my great-grandfathers and grandfather have done before and to be able to work with a piece of history was amazing.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/100_2456.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/raptoreaglephotos/media/100_2456.jpg.html)
7mm Boolits with the 4 types together below them. Don't think my mold was warm enough. (L to R: 30 Carbine, 100-year old 32 cal, other 32 cal, 7mm monster...)

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/100_2458.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/raptoreaglephotos/media/100_2458.jpg.html)
These are the 100-year old 32 cal boolits. Had some trouble with it but it was still fun to work with.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/100_2457.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/raptoreaglephotos/media/100_2457.jpg.html)
These are the other 32 cal boolits. These came out the best of all the 1 cav boolits I worked with.

So after working with the single cav molds, BrassMagnet came out and asked if I was ready for the 4 cav 30 Carbine mold. I said yes as I wanted to give that one a spin. Now this was "much" heavy than the 1 cav molds (for a few minutes anyways.) After some more instruction from Brass, I was pumping out 30 Carbine boolits at a very quick rate once I was in pace with the mold and the pot. I hope whoever may be receiving these boolits likes them and they are useable. This was a much easier mold to knock the Spru plate off and made more boolits more consistently than the 1 cav's.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/100_2459.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/raptoreaglephotos/media/100_2459.jpg.html)
Whoever you are getting these, I hope you like them as much I like the 4 cav mold. These came out the best of the ones I did today for the most part. Love the shape and man I could pump these puppies out once I got in rhythm with the mold.

So after a few hours of casting, me and Ms. Brass talked for a little while and I also got to talk with Brass as well. I am very glad they had ice and water as it made things much better. Afterwards, I got to pick some free produce and not only did I get to walk away with 30-06 brass and fresh food, the 32 cal boolits will be used in my grandfathers gun this December. He owned a 32 Win Spl. This December when I get back home, he will teach me how to lube and size boolits. Till then and probably for a while, I will not be able to get anything to be able to cast on my own because I cant afford it so being able to cast with Brass will be the only way I can do it for now.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/100_2453.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/raptoreaglephotos/media/100_2453.jpg.html)
More up-close picture of the 4 types of boolits I casted today.

He taught me all the in's and out's of basic casting and how to tweak and lube the molds. He even gave me tour of his place which is pretty cool and has inspired me and given me ideas as to what I need to do. BrassMagnet is one of the nicest guys I have met period. I hope we continue to work together for the years to come. Im evening going to take him up in Marksmanship lessons. (God knows I can use some help in the area.) All in all, im going to stay in contact with him for the years to come and hope to develop a friendship for as long as well.

All in all, I freaking love to cast. Even though it was hot, I sweated, it took my mind of the total clusterf**k right now and refocused me, relaxed me, and I had way to much fun doing it! It has made my life better and made me refocus and clear my mind. It was just as enjoyable as shooting. I am now sitting here in my nightware, after one of the best days I have had in a long time to compliment an already good weekend. I want to personally thank BrassMagnet for taking me under his wing and teaching me how to cast, and many thank you's to this forum. I honestly can not thank him enough for what he did for me and look forward to December.

Lights
08-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like your hooked.

Ajax
08-18-2013, 05:33 AM
Sam that's awesome. So glad you found a mentor. Mega kudos to BrasMagnet for taking the time to mentor a young man into our hobby.

Andy

Lead Fred
08-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Hobby? Its a way of life for some of us :-D

Your lucky, I make my students do all of their own brass.

Yer off to a great start

BrassMagnet
08-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Hobby? Its a way of life for some of us :-D

Your lucky, I make my students do all of their own brass.

Yer off to a great start

He will learn it all. Here is how I described today and the future in a PM to him:

This was kindergarten. Grade school is in December. Junior and Senior High are really going to suck. You will even learn how to alloy your own metal, turn it into boolits, load the boolits, and remove the X-ring with those boolits!

Here is his response:

It may suck, but I cant wait!!

BrassMagnet
08-18-2013, 08:33 AM
By the way, his .30-06 brass was assorted GI. I separated the Berdan and blanks before I removed the primers, swaged the primer pockets and tumbled them. I showed him the burrs on some of the flash holes and explained why we uniform them. He will also learn to uniform them before he learns to load them for his 03A3.
I suspect he will get really enthusiastic when he gets to try 311299 boolits on the highpower range. I suspect he will get to try a full distance highpower match next year. He is going to freak when he learns about mirage!

RED333
08-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Give a man a fish, he will eat today.
Teach him to cast and he will NEVER run out of boolits.
Good job to both of yall!!!

NewbieDave007
08-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Great job BrassMagnet!!! Makes me want to take a detour through Colorado next time I go to Arizona.

BrassMagnet
08-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Great job BrassMagnet!!! Makes me want to take a detour through Colorado next time I go to Arizona.

Just do it!

awhiteha
08-18-2013, 10:47 AM
I will buy some casting stuff then visit.

BrassMagnet
08-18-2013, 11:40 AM
I will buy some casting stuff then visit.

Bad New Caster! No Biscuit!

Learn First! Then buy with a plan!

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Cag,
great post ! Glad you have such a great Mentor !

All in all, I freaking love to cast.
Me too ! :CastBoolitsisbest:

Just Duke
08-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Good job to both of yall!!!

Well said.

John Boy
08-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Good job to both of yall!!! Believe Red summed it up nicely.
BTW - look closely at BrassMagnet's casting setup - not too shabby at all!
My whacker is an oak hammer handle, look at the mallet Ron uses! Sweet.

Bzcraig
08-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Good stuff! I hope this becomes a novel for us to follow along with. Somebody keep a diary!

NewbieDave007
08-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Just do it!

Is it sad that I've already looked at how much out of the way it would be? lol

It is just about 1,300 miles one-way now and to "swing" by you would add a little over 500 miles. VERY tempting...lol

leeggen
08-18-2013, 10:24 PM
we the inflickted love to suffer with others that are inflickted. Good job Cag40Navy,and a pat on the back for BrassMag.
CD

Milsurp Junkie
08-20-2013, 10:41 PM
That is awesome work there BrassMagnet. I have a buddy that showed me the ropes, and it is actually kinda cool when I can show him something new that I learned!
MJ

dgribble
08-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Great way to promote our simple way of life

BrassMagnet
08-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Is it sad that I've already looked at how much out of the way it would be? lol

It is just about 1,300 miles one-way now and to "swing" by you would add a little over 500 miles. VERY tempting...lol

Dave,

Just "Do IT!"

That is the Kindergarten set up. Just attempt to visualize the advanced set up.

BrassMagnet

Hamish
08-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Believe Red summed it up nicely.

Chisel/carving mallet, great idea!

BrassMagnet
08-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Believe Red summed it up nicely.

My mallet came from Night Owl Enterprises (NOE)!

They are out of stock right now, but Swede says they will be back next week.
Here's a link to the NOE website:

http://www.noebulletmolds.com/NV/

Did I mention he makes some awesome molds?

BrassMagnet

NewbieDave007
08-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Dave,

Just "Do IT!"

That is the Kindergarten set up. Just attempt to visualize the advanced set up.

BrassMagnet

You really know how to pull at a guy. I would LOVE to see it, but I just finalized my plans for the next trip and if it wasn't for only seeing my two young kids a total of three days in the last three months and my wife for two day in the last two months, I would. As it is I need to spend every minute I can with them in AZ. Maybe when I find a job and move to AZ I can travel the 600 ([smilie=2:) or so miles (one-way) to spend a day or two at preschool. :bigsmyl2:

jeepyj
09-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Nice to see the art passed on. I like most on here are self taught & most of us keep reinventing the wheel. I just thank goodness for this fantastic forum to help me keep my wheel spinning.
My hat's off to you BrassMagnet nicely done and Cag40nav I must say I envy you. You are very lucky to have someone take you under their wing. You will be years ahead of the average fellow getting into the hobby.
Jeepyj

Mrupe
09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm impressed with this site more every day and with the folks who post here. I've beed reloading for more than 7 years and just started casting a few weeks ago. I've been teaching myself from books and online info. But this site is taking me to a whole new level. BrassMagnet, kudo's to you for being a good mentor. Wish I'd had someone like you to learn from when I was a kid. Love your setup.

BrassMagnet
09-12-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm impressed with this site more every day and with the folks who post here. I've beed reloading for more than 7 years and just started casting a few weeks ago. I've been teaching myself from books and online info. But this site is taking me to a whole new level. BrassMagnet, kudo's to you for being a good mentor. Wish I'd had someone like you to learn from when I was a kid. Love your setup.

That is the Kindergarten setup. Wait till Cag40Navy gets to the College setup.

wcp4570
12-30-2013, 10:48 PM
BrassMagnet
Great job mentoring a young fellow wanting to learn reloading and casting. Wish I had someone to teach me when I first started out. Back then there was not internet or forums that you could learn so much from. In the early years I launched some ugly boolits before I got them looking all smooth and pretty. Hope Cag40navy enjoys the 32 Special brass, wish I would have had more to offer.

Cag40navy
Those boolits look better than my first especially the 32 and 30 carbine. Keep up the casting and you will learn much from a master. You will learn more in a short time than many here learned on their own. Its great to have a teacher like Mr. BrassMagnet.

wcp

472x1B/A
01-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I can not agree enough with you wcp4570. Too bad there are not more people around like BrassMagnet. I have been trying to get guys around here to start reloading and casting their own, but it just seems like nobody gives a ****. There is other more important 'stuff' to do, like T V , video games, and sleeping. Ya know I'm just sayin Jack! ( Hey I just realized this is my first post for 2014)

BrassMagnet
01-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I can not agree enough with you wcp4570. Too bad there are not more people around like BrassMagnet. I have been trying to get guys around here to start reloading and casting their own, but it just seems like nobody gives a ****. There is other more important 'stuff' to do, like T V , video games, and sleeping. Ya know I'm just sayin Jack! ( Hey I just realized this is my first post for 2014)

And its a Strong One, too!

AlaskanGuy
01-01-2014, 01:03 PM
All i can say is Bless you sir.... Helping a young person is an investment in your future, and your reward awaits you sir..... God bless you...

wcp4570
01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
I think I need some graduate level classes. There is always room for improvement.

wcp

OBIII
01-03-2014, 01:54 AM
I have the same problem. Knowledge, equipment, materials, and cannot find anyone around willing to learn. Good on you BrassMagnet for sharing of your self, and on you Sam, for making the effort to learn. Best of luck to both of you.

OB

DRNurse1
01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
So much great information in this thread I hardly know where to start.

Thank you Brass Magnet. I (nearly) want to start casting for my yet to be purchased rifle.

I like the 'basic' set up and have not considered a box fan behind my furnace, I have a fan behind me that I run to blow the fumes out of the shed, but this looks like another workable solution and it keeps all of the casting tools on one bench. I also added a hotplate on m casting table to keep the moulds hot.

The photos are great and really helpful for any new to casting. The key here is having a Mentor. I hope other folks here are looking for ways to share their casting knowledge F2F.

As far as finding folks around me, it seems like the fall out from Sandy Hook and the ammo shortage is everyone wants to cast and reload. I have had about 8 different folks into my reloading cave in the past year, but only one is still reloading. I showed each of them the casting process, but I do not ladle cast so I could not really help with that. I think I need to find a 'basic' set up for both reloading and casting to show these folks, not the evolved version I am using.

BrassMagnet
01-26-2014, 03:39 PM
So much great information in this thread I hardly know where to start.

Thank you Brass Magnet. I (nearly) want to start casting for my yet to be purchased rifle.

I like the 'basic' set up and have not considered a box fan behind my furnace, I have a fan behind me that I run to blow the fumes out of the shed, but this looks like another workable solution and it keeps all of the casting tools on one bench. I also added a hotplate on m casting table to keep the moulds hot.

The photos are great and really helpful for any new to casting. The key here is having a Mentor. I hope other folks here are looking for ways to share their casting knowledge F2F.

As far as finding folks around me, it seems like the fall out from Sandy Hook and the ammo shortage is everyone wants to cast and reload. I have had about 8 different folks into my reloading cave in the past year, but only one is still reloading. I showed each of them the casting process, but I do not ladle cast so I could not really help with that. I think I need to find a 'basic' set up for both reloading and casting to show these folks, not the evolved version I am using.

A fan behind you which blows toward you will cause eddies which will keep you breathing the fumes.
Not good!
A fan behind the lead pot will suck the fumes away from you. Very good!
A fan behind the lead pot which sucks the fumes away from you is subject to melting and being gunked up with the fluxing residue.
Not good! However, I would rather buy new fans than breathe in lead fumes.
By the way, cleaning or handling brass causes more lead exposure. Use some (a couple of teaspoons or a tablespoon) mineral spirits in your tumbler media to reduce the dust. Liquid car wax is also an option. The mineral spirits will also remove asphalt from the brass. Military ammo is waterproofed with asphalt.

338RemUltraMag
01-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Good on ya, I have tried to teach others but all the BS from "experts" about lead keeps people from wanting to try. Oh well, more lead for me!

plmitch
01-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Good stuff here...good stuff!

Garyshome
01-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Now I wish that would have happened for me like that. Pay it foreward!