PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with the Oregon Trails Laser Cast?

qajaq59
10-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm curious if anyone has tried the Oregon Trails silver alloy .30 caliber bullets on game, and did they expand?
Or has anyone tested their expansion on anything at all? If our range allowed it I'd shoot some at wet phone books. But we're not allowed to use anything but targets.

EMC45
10-17-2007, 08:49 AM
In my experience, which doesn't include shooting animals, with Laser Cast is they are hard as a mother in laws heart! I have shot them from a 45 ACP and they were very hard. I doubt they will expand. I cast from pure WWs and they are a good bit softer without leading. I actually shot a pipe with a Laser Cast bullet and recovered it. It broke apart and didn't flatten. It just kind of shattered.

jdhenry
10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I have shot a bunch and what I have recovered didn't show anything. Looked like I could shoot them again. I wouldn't use them hunting. just my 2 cents.

qajaq59
10-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys... That's about what I figured, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

corvette8n
10-18-2007, 01:11 PM
might be good for Cape Buffalo

Nrut
10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Try de-tempering the noses and see if that works.... Easy way if they are flatnoses is to place them nose down in old frying pan,SkillSaw blade, coffee can lid, etc. on a stove burner for a bit then just turn off the burner and let them cool down on their own...You may have to re-lube by hand or use Lee LA tumble lube...check hardness with thumb nail if you don't have a tester......I have never done this so please report back your results if you try it...

qajaq59
10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
might be good for Cape Buffalo
Hmmmm, now that's a thought..... Although I haven't seen too many in Florida lately. :-D

warriorsociologist
11-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Gents,

I have about 2000 laser-cast boolets left over of a caliber I no longer shoot (sold the gun). I am planning to re-cast them into boolets I'll use. I have a dwindling quantity of WW material, but I have a lot of almost pure lead and printer's lyno. I use these latter two to make WW-like alloy when necessary for my hunting boolets.

My question for you folks is, about how many "parts" pure lead do you think I'll need to add into a batch of molten "laser-cast" material to produce an alloy that should work well in .357 mag, .41 mag and GC .30 cal (rifle)?

Thanks in advance!
:drinks:

Whit Spurzon
12-08-2007, 02:27 PM
A pard of mine shot an Elk with a 405gr over Blackpowder in his Sharps. Busted through both shoulders and exited. The Elk took a few steps, buckled and expired promptly. Excellent performance by all accounts.

454PB
12-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Gents,

I have about 2000 laser-cast boolets left over of a caliber I no longer shoot (sold the gun). I am planning to re-cast them into boolets I'll use. I have a dwindling quantity of WW material, but I have a lot of almost pure lead and printer's lyno. I use these latter two to make WW-like alloy when necessary for my hunting boolets.

My question for you folks is, about how many "parts" pure lead do you think I'll need to add into a batch of molten "laser-cast" material to produce an alloy that should work well in .357 mag, .41 mag and GC .30 cal (rifle)?

Thanks in advance!
:drinks:

Why not list them here in the "for sale" section? It seems a waste to melt them down for the alloy. Perhaps someone will trade you alloy for the boolits.

I've never even seen a Laser Cast, but they have a good reputation. It sounds like they are nearly linotype in composition, so mixed with 60% pure lead, they should be harder than WW alloy.

warriorsociologist
12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I figure I'd get "killed" on shipping. That, and bullet material is getting scarce for me. Thanks for the idea though!

EMC45
12-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Flat Rate Box Them!

MikeP
12-24-2007, 01:58 PM
I killed a 140-pound whitetail buck last year with a .45 Lasercast going about 900 fps from a 45/410 10-inch barrel. It entered behind the shoulder and exited without apparent expansion. The buck jumped, ran about 30 yards, and stopped. I followed him several minutes later, and found him looking back at me on his front knees, butt up, seemingly unable to move. Rattled, I shot again and hit his front leg, upon which he managed to get to his feet and run another 30 yards before flopping dead. When I opened him up, I found about a gallon of blood in his chest cavity, his liver and lungs pretty well hit. I'm sure he would have died after the first shot had I waited another five minutes before followup. I was happy, since I did not expect any expansion in the big, hard .45 round moving at such speed. With such bullets at such speeds, I think a shoulder shot to stop mobility while damaging vital organs is best, since not much meat will be damaged and the game is likely to be close by when found, presuming he doesn't drop on the spot. Lasercast works for me.

Four Fingers of Death
12-24-2007, 07:40 PM
From what I've heard, shooting Cape Buffalo is not a time for experimenting as they are the most dangerous game on the planet, tough and keep their eyes open and on you when they charge. Jack O'Connor was no slouch and he took 11 shots from a 458Win Mag to stop one before it dropped dead at his feet. nassssssssssty!!

FromTheWoods
01-21-2008, 04:49 PM
They are death on deer--Winchester '73, .38-40.

Doesn't seem to need to expand when it is already .401. Neck, chest, shoulders--all effective.

warriorsociologist
02-02-2008, 03:11 PM
thanks guys!

bc3660
02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Me and a friend did a mythbusters test on Lasercast , WW and printing press typyset. We used a sledgehammer just droped fron 3 feet onto each. The WW smashed nice the other 2 shatered into 5 or 6 pices.
Hope that helps some.
Steve :castmine:

nvstickbow
04-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I am hoping that they work well on elk and deer as it is what I am planning to take with me on my Montana hunt this November. I am loading the 350 gn. flat points in my 1895G.

Miner
04-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Laser-Cast 250 gr flatnose 45lc shot out of my 454 SRH go through an 8" alder with no deforming. Slap a gascheck on em to seal the rifleings and you could shoot em again. But then at .425 they don't need to expand. I would hunt deer, elk, or bear with them no problem.

bruce drake
04-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Guys,

qajag59's question is regarding 30 cal bullets. You are all reporting success with big meplat 44 and above bullets so I'd be curious if anyone had success with the smaller diameter bullets.

I shoot WW mix in my 30 caliber rifles and they expand nicely. I'm not expecting that Lasercast 30s would expand enough to cause the type of damage that your heavier bullets do.

Bruce

qajaq59
04-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Bruce, the general Consensus is that the .30 lasers wont work. But nowhere have I been able to find anyone that has actually tried them. The next time I drop a hog maybe I'll try a Laser Cast behind his ear and see what it does. If you find out anything though let me know would you please. The lasers shoot so well they'd be great if they worked.

And as a side note, my grand son just got back from Iraq. He was with the Airborne in Falusia. Just want to say thanks to you and the other guys over there.

Miner
05-24-2008, 01:26 AM
What I was getting at is Laser-Cast are hard... very hard... no mushrooming... 30 cal entry, 30 cal exit... if you would shoot your deer with a fmj 30 cal bullet then you could use a Laser-Cast, if not I would use something else.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk180/Miner4699/attachment-1.jpg

300 gr 45LC FP Laser-Cast pushed by 30 gr H110 out of 454 SRH before and after going thru 16" dry fir crusher blocking

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I seen these at Cabelas the other day and was looking at them. The salesman talked me out out trying them.