PDA

View Full Version : Penny's Casting???

JohnH
10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Accurate Arms loading manual shows lots of boolits they fired either cast by Penny's or from Penny's molds. I am unable to find anything about Penny's in a web search. Are they defunct? Anyone know anything about them?

Buckshot
10-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Accurate Arms loading manual shows lots of boolits they fired either cast by Penny's or from Penny's molds. I am unable to find anything about Penny's in a web search. Are they defunct? Anyone know anything about them?

I don't know anything about any Penny's Moulds. If it's Joel Penny he offered a custom casting service and produced a high quality product. Sad to say he passed away.

................Buckshot

JohnH
10-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't know anything about any Penny's Moulds. If it's Joel Penny he offered a custom casting service and produced a high quality product. Sad to say he passed away.

................Buckshot

Buckshot, the manual only says of a cast bullet either "Ly312XXX" or "RCBS312XXX" or "Penny's".
Since I can find no references on the web, these must be references to boolits cast by the late Joel Penny. Sorry to hear this. Thanks for the info.

Scrounger
10-16-2007, 11:49 PM
True.; I bought a lot of bullets from him before I started casting. He apparently had several hundred different molds. I wonder what happened to them?

beagle
10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Penny's casting service was the source of the bullets used for the tests in the Accurate manuals. My shooting partner once called and checked that out right after their #1 Manual came out.

Apparently he was a big supplier of hand cast bullets at one time and from what I've heard...good bullets too./beagle

singleshotbuff
10-18-2007, 12:33 AM
I too ordered boolits from Pennys before I saw the light. They were very good boolits. Istill have a couple thousand 452424s from him I think, maybe a few other designs.

SSB

StanDahl
10-21-2007, 01:39 AM
I have a list from Penny's that's 10 years old and there must be 150 - 200 bullets listed. He cast everything in linotype and sized them any way you wanted them. He expected you to know your bore dimension when you ordered. I have no idea if they're still in business, but the address was P.O. Box 314, Topanga, CA 90290; tel. 310-455-1567 (M-F 4-6pm). I ordered some .224 50 gr bullets, and most were good, some had the gas check off kilter though. Now I cast my own, of course.

Scrounger
10-21-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm afraid Mr. Penney is no longer with us, Stan. He was a character, I talked to him many times on the phone. It was near impossible to catch him but when you did you couldn't get away.

john from md
11-14-2007, 07:09 PM
the eighties and he was one honest guy. I never had to pay until I received my bullets. He never took my money up front. In the nineties, I believe his daughter took over the business or was helping him.

I lost touch when I cut back on high volume shooting due to arthritis.

John from MD

Buckshot
11-15-2007, 06:03 PM
the eighties and he was one honest guy. I never had to pay until I received my bullets. He never took my money up front. In the nineties, I believe his daughter took over the business or was helping him.

I lost touch when I cut back on high volume shooting due to arthritis.

John from MD

..............John welcome amongst the brethren! I know that the Accurate Powder company used Penny's cast lead boolits in their reloading manual. I had several freinds back in the 90's who used him to supply slugs for their 6.5 Swedes. Superb castings.

..............Buckshot

IamMyFathersChild
09-17-2010, 01:59 AM
When Mr. Penny passed away, his daughter took over the business. Her and her husband have all of the equipment but I'm not sure if they will be reopening the business or not. If anyone would like to get a hold of them, let me know.

Lloyd Smale
09-17-2010, 05:51 AM
he used to make a great bullet at an even greater price. that was back before people discovered that cast bullets were as good as they are and they got to be as expensive as jacketed bullets to buy.

fredj338
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
I had used some of his heavy 44 & 45 bullets. He was an early provider of heavy bullets for those calibers. Some were of the LBT style, some of the SSK style.

cbrick
09-17-2010, 09:42 PM
He lived up in Topanga if I remember right, died of cancer several years ago now is what I heard.

I was in his shop (garage) once, no automatic casting machine, about 4 or 5 RCBS lead pots lined up in a row on the bench all with molds being used. He went from one to the next, pouring, opening and dumping, next pot and next pot and on and on, all while carying on a lively conversation and never missing a beat with mold after mold. Quite a sight to see. Quite an interesting fella he was.

He told me that the RCBS pots running all day 7 days a week would last about a year and a half to 2 years and RCBS would then replace them. This must have been 1984 because that's when I bought my RCBS pot (according to the factory sticker on it) and retired (almost) the Lyman pot.

Rick

odoh
09-18-2010, 01:31 AM
He wouldn't take fone calls until evening and when I placed an order he told me the invoice would be provided w/the shipment ~ IIRC he never had problem w/bad chks ~ I was impressed w/him and his product.

Beekeeper
09-18-2010, 10:32 AM
He lived in a time when your word was your bond.
Many of us were raised that way as well.
I remember my Dad being owed a lot of money for machine work in his shop and refusing to dun the man that owed him the money , saying he would get around to paying as he was good for his word.
Kinda off course maybe but Mr Penny strikes me as the same kind of a person.
You gave your word,I gave mine product on the way , pay when you get the invoice.
Shame it isn't that way today.

Jim