PDA

View Full Version : need a little help

singleshotbuff
10-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Gentlemen,

I get scrap lead from an indoor range. Seems to be mostly FMJ cores and 22 boolits, with who-knoes-how-much cast boolits in there. Hard to identify much of the contents, as the steel back stop turns the boolits into fragments and dust. Seems fairly soft to me in rudimentary testing. I've been mixing it 50/50 with WWs to make a good boolit alloy that water quenches very good. Unfortunately, my supply of free WWs may be in jeapordy, and the local scrap yard wants $0.75/lb for WWs.

I've been told various things about how hard or soft this range scrap should be, but I'd like to know as sure as possible.

So.......

If I sent some boolits cast of this lead, can someone please test them for BHN hardness for me?? Maybe with a Lee tester?? I plan to buy a Lee tester, but have other items on the wish list first.

If you can help me, please send me a PM. I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if you can help me, let me know which would be easier to test, 30 cal, 35 cal or 45 cal boolits.

Thanks so much.

SSB

Crash_Corrigan
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
I have Lee hardness tester. My address will be pm'd to you.

singleshotbuff
10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks Crash!!

this is why I love this board, VERY helpful people here.

SSB

Springfield
10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
I have an LBT tester if you want a second opinion. 45 would work the best for me. mark@whyteleatherworks.com

Ricochet
10-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Try water quenching the scrap without adding wheelweights, and let it age for a few days. It'll get a lot harder than you think.