PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin bouta slug mold

charger 1
10-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Got the H&R slug gun(rifled)...I know before I check anybody who is anybody as far as manufacturers is going to say shotgun pressures when I say shotgun, but I cant help believe that these puppies woulda been proofed a hair more substantial given that they know folk aint going to be satisfied with off the shelf only. I'm sick of bluforce at two bucks a pop. I'm sick of lee and lymans bidismal attempts. What they got is good through the cabin door bear medicine, but I'd never trust the accuracy to hunt, so I've been thinking custom. As soon as I go from cutting wads to cutting metal my pressures goin to rise so I'm just tryiung to guess at what I might live through

Old Ironsights
10-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Can't say about H&R slug breakovers, but since it is essentially a smoothbore .444, I can shoot 195gr slugs over 36+ gr of Varget out of a Win 9410 without a hiccough... (don't ask about the accuracy... it ain't there yet...)

'course, the .410 plastic hulls are a bit thinner when they eject... ;)

charger 1
10-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Can't say about H&R slug breakovers, but since it is essentially a smoothbore .444, I can shoot 195gr slugs over 36+ gr of Varget out of a Win 9410 without a hiccough... (don't ask about the accuracy... it ain't there yet...)

'course, the .410 plastic hulls are a bit thinner when they eject... ;)

I'm afraid the pressure jump is going to come when I start cutting rifling into cast metal as oppossed to plastic

I never thought of using varget. Any idea of how consistant your speed is?

Blammer
10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
what caliber ie guage? I've been looking for a good 20 ga full bore slug mould, and would like a few to go in on a GB with to reduce the mould cost.

I was thinking something around .626-.627 as cast dia with a flat base, nice lube groove and a flat point somewhere around 450-500 gr.

Kinda like the Dixie slugs. Heck I may even be able to sell some boolits to recoup my mould cost!

Blammer
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
my problem is getting a sizer/luber in that dia. Lee don't do em that big.

charger 1
10-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I was looking at .731 for the 12. Was just gonna pan lube. I mean for as many slugs as a fellas gonna fire that would do

Old Ironsights
10-16-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm afraid the pressure jump is going to come when I start cutting rifling into cast metal as oppossed to plastic

I never thought of using varget. Any idea of how consistant your speed is?

Well, I was getting consistant 2000 - 2020fps out of the loads I made up at the bench. Smoothbore, yes, but a .420 getting crammed down a .417 bore is gonna lead to some pressure... even if it IS a hollowbase & pure lead.

Not a lick of trouble though. Not even on the primer.

crowbeaner
10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I just can lubed 125 Lyman foster slugs with bowl wax/paraffin mixture. The slugs have just a film of lube, and are a little sticky. I used a mix of 3 seal rings and 1/2 lb. of paraffin to harden the lube a little. I froze the cans to make the lube a little stiffer, and just broke the slugs out and dug the wax plug out of the base with a butter knife. Not a bad mix, and I might make a lube stick mould to make some hollow sticks for the lubrisizer. I might dust them with mica, but I haven't decided yet. The as cast diameter is .690 to .691, and that is actually bigger than the factory slug diameter in the one I cut open. Load data in the Lyman SS #4 is right in line with the factory wad column. As soon as the CFO gives me the go ahead I'll order the wads from BPI. CB.