PDA

View Full Version : I just got my first Magma bullet mould....

Harry O
08-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I have been buying the Magma bullets in 38-40 since I started CAS shooting since they are the only ones that seem to work with my Uberti 1873 lever action. I have four other 38-40 bullet moulds (two different Lymans, an RCBS, and an NEI) and none of them work. So I finally bought a brand new Magma 38-40-180 RNFP BB of my own.

I bought it set up for hand casting and RCBS handles. It still came with the odd Magma sprue cutter, though. Looking at it tonight I am not sure how best to use it manually. It swings opposite of my other moulds. I will be hitting the lever towards me instead of away from me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how best to maipulate it? Does anyone know if the Lyman 2-cavity mould sprue plate will fit without too much work? Is there any other conventional sprue plate out there that might work?

HATCH
08-15-2013, 09:44 PM
I have never hand cast with a magma mold.
I do own about 14 or 15 Magma molds but they are for my master caster.

I love the FPRN molds they have.
I have the same mold (38/40) but haven't cast anything with it yet.
I plan to do a run next week of 2000 pieces....

Ia.redneck
08-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Accurate Molds makes a sprue plate for 2 cavity Magma molds. $25 I believe. Works great and he ships fast!

Harry O
08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Accurate Molds makes a sprue plate for 2 cavity Magma molds. $25 I believe. Works great and he ships fast!

That looks like it might work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.