PDA

View Full Version : Looking for WFN in .357, .452,.458

wildchild2010
08-14-2013, 11:52 PM
New at the casting and looking for some hunting molds for the 45 Colt handgun, 45-70 Handi, .357 Max. Handi. Been browsing at some in the WFN for hunting and plinking, I would like to just stick with one of each till I get the hang of it. Was looking at the Lee molds, would they be good for a start.

Piedmont
08-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Lee would be a cheap place to start. They aren't premium molds though, and might add to the frustration if you are new. Your two rifles may require larger diameters than you think they will. You might find slugging the barrel throats intimidating and think, what the heck, I will size .358 and .458" and need molds in those sizes. Probably you will need sizes a couple thousandths larger, maybe more. So you might want to buy one mold, perhaps for the handgun, and a sizer die that matches the size of your cylinder throats and get some experience.

I offer this advice because you will know more in six months or a year and might make different choices on molds after you are more enlightened. A WFN may not be as accurate with plinking loads as other bullet designs. They have a reputation for having to be driven hard to be accurate.

You will need to know, not guess at, the size of your cylinder throats on the .45 Colt, just as you need to know the dimensions of your rifles. If you don't, it is all guess work and you will have good results only if you are lucky.

Moonie
08-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Lots of people here really like the Lee 300gr .452 boolit, me included.

Lefty SRH
08-19-2013, 04:55 PM
I have the NOE 180gr WFN for the .357mad/max, its a really nice boolit. I might be selling the NOE 180 WFN molds soon too.