PDA

View Full Version : Which Scope?

warf73
10-16-2007, 06:52 AM
I’m going to buy a scope for my son’s 7mm-08 we have narrowed down the scope to the fallow 2.

Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope 3-9x 40mm $198.99

Leupold Rifleman Scope 3-9x 40mm $199.99

Which of them would guys buy?

How good a scope is the Rifleman compared to the 3200?

Thanks Warf

testhop
10-16-2007, 09:15 AM
i would go with the leupold and you may LOOK AT a 2 to 7 it is lighter
remember get what you would be happy with if you was the kid
the leupold is a good scope built as a quilty scope and the bushnell is built for mass prodouction in my openio the 7-08 is a fine cal for youngesteror oldest what mod did you get

warf73
10-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Got him a Remington 700 ADL on close out. I didn't know Remington was not making the ADL anymore, the SPL took its place.

versifier
10-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Go with the Leopold. This is to be a deer rifle, yes? It is a fairly light and fast handling rifle, why put a huge heavy 3-9 scope on it? You don't need 9X to hit a deer within 200yds. testhop has a good idea to point you to the Leopold 2-7, it's shorter, lighter, and quicker onto the target, (and even at that, he probably won't be using anything more than 3X at most when hunting deer, unless the ranges are really long). Even for target shooting, 7X is more than enough for medium range (out to 250-300yds).

Rick Hodges
10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Another vote for the Leupold 2-7x scope. I own 3 of them and have never felt a need for more power in any hunting situation. Including some fairly long shots on antelope and mule deer.

Rick

frank505
10-16-2007, 02:12 PM
How about the toughest scope ever, a steel tube Weaver K3? You can but reconditioned ones for less than 100 dollars from www.weaverscoperepair.com . Your son can drive tent pegs with the scope and will stay sighted in, unlike most todays overpriced crap.

rugerman1
10-16-2007, 03:06 PM
How about the toughest scope ever, a steel tube Weaver K3? You can but reconditioned ones for less than 100 dollars from www.weaverscoperepair.com . Your son can drive tent pegs with the scope and will stay sighted in, unlike most todays overpriced crap.

Is the correct link http://weaver-scope-repair.com/ ?

frank505
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes Ruger man, your link is the correct one. The 2.5 and 3 power scopes will do all a HUNTER needs done in the field. I think this long range idiocy of animal shooting is promoted by over powered scopes and very irresponsible "gun writers" who have nothing to write about since they do nothing. Read and reread Elmer Keith. Francis Sell, Clyde Ormond and someone contemporary. Rick Jamison, who supported his family by hunting and skinning coyotes back when the fur prices were high. Opps, forgot about Wayne Van Zwoll, who is a fine High Power shooter and seems to be a decent hunter as well.
Go and shoot High Power, it will teach you the basics of marksmanship and the folly of a scope to replace skill with your rifle. And you will look for a bolt rifle with same rear sight as an M14 or M16, but you will sadly not find such wonderful sights on anything.

fatnhappy
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I have 1 bushnell elite and a number of leupolds. I believe you'll be well served by either scope choice. I don't know how or where you hunt though.

My preference would be for something trimmer with few Xs though such as the leupold 4X and my slug guns wear 1-4X leupolds since I participate in deer drives. Your mileage may vary.

Blammer
10-16-2007, 04:07 PM
get the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 at walmart, the one for $160. I compared it directly under identical hunting conditions with the Leupold VX-II and could find LITTLE if NO difference.

otherwise get the 3200

fourarmed
10-16-2007, 05:13 PM
My preference is the Leupold, if only for the guarantee. For the same price you can get the Burris Fullfield II, which is also backed by a no-$hit guarantee, and they will throw in a binocular or spotting scope. The Sightron scopes are lifetime guaranteed, but they haven't been around as long as the others, and who knows if they will be. I admit to liking the steel K-series Weavers, even though they are gone.

Blammer
10-16-2007, 06:30 PM
nikon prostaff, also lifetime guarantee

warf73
10-17-2007, 06:23 AM
OK guys I looked at the specs on the 2-7 Leupold and compared them to the 3-9 Leupold, all in the VX-1.

Both have 4.2” eye relief.

Weight is a mute point as the 3-9 does weight more but I don’t call 656.25 grains a lot.

The objective is smaller on the 2-7 by 5.7MM is that going to make that big a difference in low light conditions?

I have decided to go with the Leupold but now which one ^^. I’ve always had 3-9 scopes on all my deer rifles and will admit I’ve never shot a deer on 9x. I hunt with the scope set on 5x.and only have used 9x to make sure the deer wasn’t a button buck as I mostly shoot only does.

We hunt deer in all situations but the average shot is well under 200 yards.

Leupold VX-1 Scope 2-7x 33mm Wide Duplex Reticle Matte $199.99

Leupold VX-1 Scope 3-9x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte $219.99

Of these two which one would it be?

XBT
10-17-2007, 08:19 AM
A significant portion of my income each year comes from selling fur, mostly coyote. I also hunt deer. All are taken with rifles equipped with Leupold 3X9 scopes. Unlike many here I seldom use the lower power settings, preferring to use 6X though 9X. My coyote rifle is very seldom turned below 9X.

For me it would be the Leupold VX-1 Scope 3-9x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte $219.99.

Newtire
10-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Yes Ruger man, your link is the correct one. The 2.5 and 3 power scopes will do all a HUNTER needs done in the field. I think this long range idiocy of animal shooting is promoted by over powered scopes and very irresponsible "gun writers" who have nothing to write about since they do nothing. Read and reread Elmer Keith. Francis Sell, Clyde Ormond and someone contemporary. Rick Jamison, who supported his family by hunting and skinning coyotes back when the fur prices were high. Opps, forgot about Wayne Van Zwoll, who is a fine High Power shooter and seems to be a decent hunter as well.
Go and shoot High Power, it will teach you the basics of marksmanship and the folly of a scope to replace skill with your rifle. And you will look for a bolt rifle with same rear sight as an M14 or M16, but you will sadly not find such wonderful sights on anything.

Hi Frank,

Tried that link but takes me to a page with auto trans repair & weaver scope/Weaver scope tabs at top of page but when I click on a tab it takes me to a search page. Like a circular path but can't find the site. Love Weaver scopes!

buck1
10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Leupold Rifleman Scope 3-9x 40mm $199.99

Given a choice, I want Leupold whenever I can get it........Buck

fourarmed
10-17-2007, 11:27 AM
For deer hunting, I have used the lowest power on my variables a lot more than I have used the highest. Even sitting and watching winter wheat fields, I seldom use more than about 6x, but then I am a little old-fashioned in these matters. For varmint calling, the low end is important, too. The highest powers are nice for load development. Also for p-dog or g-hog hunting, which I don't do with my deer rifle. On the other hand, the question may be moot, as there isn't that much difference between 2x and 3x.

A more important consideration might be the ability to mount the smaller-objective scope lower on the rifle.

Scrounger
10-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Is this the link you are using, the one Frank posted? It worked for me.
http://weaver-scope-repair.com/

Uncle R.
10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK6515
These are very nice scopes. I have several Monarchs - optically they're very impressive and none have ever given me any aggravation. The oldest has been hunted with for probably close to 20 years now - rain, snow, cold, bumps. No problems at all. Nikon has redesigned the Monarch line - at this closeout price for the "old" model they're a steal.
:)
Uncle R.