PDA

View Full Version : Drinking the Kool-Aid

Anonym
08-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Been lurking here a while and checking out all the tips and pictures, but I'm deciding that I need to poop or get off the pot! I recently purchased a .54cal Renegade that came with a maxi ball mold w/ handles, a Lee RB mold block, and a dipper ladle. Well, after lurking here and asking some friends I know who cast, I've got the itch to cast some lead for my muzzleloaders!

I've got this new .54 cal that has a slow-twist Sharon barrel on it that seems to shoot the Maxi's pretty well. Haven't tried it with PRB, but I can't imagine it shooting bad either! I've also got a slow-twist .50 cal Green Mountain that eats PRB for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so I'm really interested in casting for it as well. Got me wondering if it would handle a Maxi, or if I should stick with the PRB. Lastly, I have a little .32 cal CVA Squirrel Rifle that is supposed to be for my kids to grow into, but if I could manage to cast some lead for it, I doubt I would let it sit in the cabinet much either!

So now I'm on the hunt to find some soft lead and molds to really jump into this. Of course my wife isn't all that enthused with the thought of another hobby, but she sees the benefit of my reloading and surely won't complain too much!

Anybody have any thoughts on the Maxi in a 1:66 twist .50 cal? How hard is it to find a RB mold for the little .32 cal? And lastly, where should I shop for soft lead?! That seems to be the hardest thing I'll have to come up with. Wheel weights seem plentiful around here, but pure lead?

So post up your tips, tricks, thoughts, pictures, and keep this new guy salivating to cast my first boolit!

Anonym

JeffinNZ
08-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Welcome.

You won't get a Maxi to stablilise in a 1 - 66 twist. Too slow.

For your .32cal balls you will want something between .310 and .315 depending on the patch. Plently of options. Have a search on the Lee site for a start.

Anonym
08-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks, Jeff! Wondered if itwas going to have stabilization issues.

Is there a buckshot that would work for the .32? I think there is one for the .36, but I am not that familiar with the smoothies.

Justin

whisler
08-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I have tried a buckshot size that was supposed to be appropriate for the .32 (exact same rifle) but proved to be oversize and hard to load. I bought commercial .310 balls that worked fine.

Knight Templar
08-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Where you located? Lead pipe without the sweat joints works for ml. .010 less than bore for rb.

Anonym
08-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks fellas. KT, I am in southern Indiana.

Lead Fred
08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
anything slower than 1/48 are made just for round ball.
I like to run a .530 ball, and a .015 patch.
With Thompson Center's 1000+ patch lube

Ajax
08-16-2013, 05:14 AM
You can also trade Wheel weights here for pure lead. Lots of guys will be willing to trade ya. As far as conicals in you slow twist barrel i have had mediocre luck with a low powder charge but nowhere near hunting velocities.

Andy

Iron Mike Golf
08-16-2013, 10:10 AM
I addition to what Ajax said, you can also trade pewter for lead. I pick up 60 lbs a year or so hitting flea markets and antique malls about once a month or less. Recommend you don't smelt it: offer to do so to your buyer to save on shipping.

On the wheelweights, save your zinc ones. Shadygrady will trade straight up for it.

Anonym
08-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Sounds good fellas. I'll work on some wheel weights locally and see what I can come up with. I think I'm going to stick with what works in my 50 cal and try to pick up a .490 RB mold. Now I just need to get some Lee handles for that .530 RB block and cast a few and see how they shoot.

Had a lady from church give me a 1-qt and a 2-qt cast iron pots with wooden handles. The smaller one is in pretty rough shape, so I think it may have just become my new smelting pot! I'll have to find a burner to use and get lined up on the lead, but I'm getting there!

dondiego
08-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Wheel weight metal works great for round balls.

Beerd
08-16-2013, 01:51 PM
A thought for your .32
#1 Buckshot is something like .300 diameter.
Should load pretty easy with a thick patch. And at 40 grains each, a 25 pound bag will get you over 4300 shots.