PDA

View Full Version : lee 310 gr bullet leading end of 44mag barrel

harryman
08-14-2013, 08:54 PM
I think I know the answer but would like some feed back.
I was shooting a few of the lee 310 gr .430 from my sbh with a 7 1/2 barrel they where loaded with 21.5 grains of h-110 and no gas check,and lubed with some darr's I made up. The problem is I'm getting leading at the last inch and half of the barrel.
the question is do I need a different type lube?

ubetcha
08-14-2013, 09:03 PM
From what I have gathered that means you are running out of lube at that area of the barrel. Try a different lube like FWFL,or Bens Red or something from Lars.

harryman
08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
That's what I was thinking also.
will try some other lubes because I want to shoot these in my rossi wizard rifle also and don't need the leading.

MT Gianni
08-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Run some with GC's and see if it helps hold the lube together.

harryman
08-14-2013, 10:59 PM
I just put gas checks on 24 of them tonight and was gonna give them a try this weekend.
I also have a few I dropped in the lube before standing them up in the pan so the whole bullet is lubed,will try these also.

Rick N Bama
08-15-2013, 05:52 PM
With that load you're pushing the boolit mighty hard. Betcha the problem goes away with the GC & a different lube.........but I've been wrong before:)

Rick

Newtire
09-06-2013, 09:18 PM
21.5 grains H110 with a 310 Lee must pack a mean punch. Sounds pretty hot. Gas check design boolits usually do better with the check if you push them. Let us know.

44man
09-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Not hot, the perfect load and even 22 gr might be better using H110 because it was about 1/2 gr slower then 296, might still be. The heavy boolit can't be shot slow. To leave the check off changes the velocity needed. You alter the drive band length. You also don't halt skid and gas might be removing lube at the gap or through leakage.
I use 21.5 gr of 296, fed 150 primer and Felix lube in a 10" SBH, no leading.
Lube coatings can fail, need grease grooves full.
Sounds like lube is gone before the boolit reaches the end of the barrel. Lube helps keep lead from sticking and keeps fouling soft so all the crud is shot out with the next boolit. The barrel must be in the same condition after every shot and hundreds of shots should not change it.
Lube should have substance and some "sticky". Slippery lubes destroy case tension, the boolit can move from the primer and the igniting powder gas can blow lube from the gap.
Lubes that burn in the bore and smoke will leave dry ash that rubs off lead.
Some lubes diesel, even in front of the boolit.
I will defer to my friend Felix because with hundreds and hundreds of tests, nothing has worked better. Glen has some good lubes like CR.

Larry Gibson
09-07-2013, 05:02 PM
A bullet and load like that and the GC is left off?

Use the GC.

Larry Gibson

44man
09-07-2013, 08:16 PM
A bullet and load like that and the GC is left off?

Use the GC.

Larry Gibson
Yep, thats what I say.

harryman
09-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks fellas for your input the gc's made the difference in leading. they shoot great in my ruger and the rifle.
these things are going to do wonders on deer and hogs, maybe even a few dinosaurs if I find any
I was wondering if I added some soww to my straight ww melt if I could get a little expansion from these boolits?
I know with this boolit it doesn't need to expand but was just wondering.
I'm water dropping the boolits now. do I need to do this with ww's or just let air cool?

W.R.Buchanan
09-08-2013, 02:19 PM
No Gas Check? with a GC boolit you are inviting blow by. Especially with a near max load.

Now that I look again I see you already figured this out.

Randy

44man
09-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks fellas for your input the gc's made the difference in leading. they shoot great in my ruger and the rifle.
these things are going to do wonders on deer and hogs, maybe even a few dinosaurs if I find any
I was wondering if I added some soww to my straight ww melt if I could get a little expansion from these boolits?
I know with this boolit it doesn't need to expand but was just wondering.
I'm water dropping the boolits now. do I need to do this with ww's or just let air cool?
No, not today. too many SO weights are other then lead---read zinc or aluminum.
The .44 needs no expansion at all, everything is perfect.

harryman
09-08-2013, 09:37 PM
thanks 44man. the boolit will do anything I need it to do with straight ww's.
I run a shop and have used weights both sow and cow's was just looking for something to do with all the sow's.
I have all the weights separated in different buckets all the steel and zinc go to recycling.