PDA

View Full Version : How much smoke?

Muddydogs
08-14-2013, 02:02 PM
I loaded up some Lee C309-170 sized to .310 in my Win 94 lever with 33 grains of W748. Bullets are checked and lubed with White Label Lube Canauba Red. These are the first "Hot" cast rounds I have shot out of a rifle and the smoke coming out of the barrel was noticable. Just wondering if its normal for fast moving cast loads to smoke like a muzzle loader or not. There is no evidence of barrel leading and rounds grouped nice. This load gives me the same POI as my 170 grain Speer FN round which is what I was looking for. I have the muzzle velocity recorded and I think it was around 2000 fps but not sure, I will check my notes when I get home tonight.

Dan Cash
08-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Some bullet lubricants smoke as do some powders. Not to worry.

Sensai
08-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Unless the targets or game that you're shooting at shoots back, there's really no down side to smoky rounds. It may indicate that there's more lube than is necessary, but I hesitate to say too much lube. If it doesn't have a negative effect on accuracy, I don't think that there's such a thing as too much lube. If it works, don't try to fix it.