PDA

View Full Version : "New" Toy - 50 cal CVA Frontier Carbine

roots911
08-13-2013, 08:12 PM
I recently picked up a 50 cal percussion CVA Frontier Carbine at a good price just to play with. The 24 inch barrel, light weight and short overall length made it appealing for offhand shoots. This was a kit gun from 1988 that the original builder (not the fellow that I got it from) I guess believed that all you did with a kit gun is assemble the parts. He put a poly finish on the stock and installed the lock and all the rough castings exactly as they were, mold lines, rough grinding marks and all. The wood of the stock stood proud of the lock, tang, all the brass from 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. The tang and barrel under rib were still in the white. The bore is pristine and the bluing is about 80 -90%. Well I couldn't stand the way it looked so it became a bunch of parts again. I stripped the stock and started to properly fit all the parts. The barrel wedge escutcheons were inlet into the stock using a set that I had on hand. All the brass castings were finished by filing and buffing. The stock was then given a BLO finish. I did not want a shiny finish. The brass will be allowed to naturally tarnish. Final results are shown in the pictures. I don't think she is an "ugly duckling" any more. Took her on a quick trip to the range and had three holes almost touching at 25 yds (I know -awful short distance) with patched round balls over 70 grains of 2f black powder from a bench rest. Next trip out I'll stretch out the range and see if she still feels loved!79113791147911579117

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-13-2013, 10:53 PM
that looks very similar to my new toy a traditions deer hunter 50 with the 24 inch barrel ,but with brass.

I haven't had mine to the range yet , i am waiting on a part that was lost in shipping to arrive before i can fire it.

Freightman
08-14-2013, 10:36 AM
One I picked up on GB for $97, you will enjoy it very accurate and esy to handle.

roots911
08-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I guess that there are various models that are the same basic style - just different fittings & wood. The Bobcat is also similar - with a synthetic stock. Freightman- yours has a laminate stock right? Want to try some maxi's tomorrow.

John Allen
08-14-2013, 08:37 PM
it is a nice looking gun. I have two 50 cals and love them.

mooman76
08-14-2013, 10:04 PM
I had one years ago and it shot Lee REALs real good. Someone talked me into selling it to him and like I dreaded he didn't take care of it. Wish I hadn't sold it to him.

snoopy
08-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Nice rifle!