PDA

View Full Version : Braindead

starmac
08-13-2013, 01:51 PM
What is up with peoples thinking.
Last night I stopped for a car with there flashers own. This was one of those not quite a car, not quite a van type of thing, something that should never been where it was.
They were parked in the northbound lane halfway down a steep hill 175 miles north of town with a flat and no spare at all. The tire was ruined, so my repair kit was no use. It was two women in it, one probably in her early 30's the other pretty elderly.

Were talking about 175 back miles to the closest tire, 325 miles the way they were headed to the closest tire, but very doubtful there would be anything there to fit this thing.
I hated leaving them there, but what else is one suppose to do???

longranger
08-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Make sure they have a bit of food and water ? maybe give them a ride to the closest facility that could help them,inform law enforcement of their plight ?

waynem34
08-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Yep call troopers.They can help them more than anyone.

starmac
08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
They said they wanted to sit there and think about what they needed to do. The closest facility was 175 miles. The closest trooper more than likely was 175 miles too, this is not any around town deal.
I'm not sure it would be a job for the troopers or why it should be.

starmac
08-13-2013, 02:57 PM
I just talked to a trucker that had come through around 3 hours before I did, and they were there then. I'm sure they had turned down rides several times before I talked to them.

41 mag fan
08-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Guess they could sit there for another 3 hrs then, till they "figure" out they cant get a their fixed just sitting there.
Were they blonde by chance???

starmac
08-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Native......... This time of year, there is nothing life threatening, except for the small chance of being hit sitting in the middle of the road on a hill. Maybe a couple of days sitting there will make them think twice next time about what they need to travel the back country.

10x
08-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Native......... This time of year, there is nothing life threatening, except for the small chance of being hit sitting in the middle of the road on a hill. Maybe a couple of days sitting there will make them think twice next time about what they need to travel the back country.

Several points.
It was "one of those not quite a car, not quite a van things"
Did you find where the spare should have been?
They are very well hidden on some of the newer domestic and import vehicles.

I am willing to bet there was no cell service there either.
The 2006 chev van that my son had for a few years did have a spare, except that the factory safety lock would not allow the spare to be removed. - that was a pain.
That is also the last chev I will ever buy.

country gent
08-14-2013, 08:44 AM
A lot of new cars the spare and jack are options some dont even have a place to store them.Onmy thunder bird the ashtry was an option. People dont realize this until its needed. In rough country 2 spares extra water and gas food a blanket and means to start a fire are mandatory. I got stranded one time and a window cracked about an inch couple candles burning in a can kept the excursioon toasty warm for several hours.

DLCTEX
08-14-2013, 09:03 AM
My wife's car has no spare, just a fix-a-flat can and a 12 volt pump. She does have On Star for road side assistance.

x101airborne
08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Not exact, but similar....
I found an elderly man on the side of the road when I was 19. He had a flat with no spare in a torrential rainstorm at 2200 hours. Luckily, my truck and his had the same bolt pattern. Not the same size tire, but same bolt pattern. I put my spare on his truck for him and just gave him my address to send the tire back. A week later, the tire came UPS with a note. It was a thank you note and a crisp 100 dollar bill.
The times I helped people and they ask "What can I pay you?" I just ask them to pray for me. It means more to me than money. But it wasn't like I couldn't use the 100 dollars, either.

At least you stopped. Lots of people would have just drove by without a thought.
Sometimes people just need to sort things out for themselves.

starmac
08-14-2013, 10:09 PM
No there is no cell phone service. You have cell phone service 28 miles north on the very top of one hill then you pick it up again in about 450 miles.
Onstar doesn't have any service either. rental cars around here, it is written right in the contract STAY OF THE HAUL ROAD, people ignore that little detail and it sometimes cost them big bucks. lol

I was back up there today, the car is still there, sitting on a jack, but the women were gone. Someone must have brought them and the wheel back to town.

waksupi
08-14-2013, 11:49 PM
That's one big reason I don't have a cell phone The places you would really need it, there is no service in Montana, either.

AkMike
08-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Too soon old and too late smart..