PDA

View Full Version : 1st Attempt With A Tumbler

jonp
08-12-2013, 08:02 PM
My girlfriend bought me a new 5lb tumbler from Harbor Freight for my birthday. Half price at $50 was pretty decent I thought. Up until now I have been cleaning with citric acid and dawn and having good enough results but thought I'd give it a try when the tumblers went on sale.
I had some indoor range brass and hit the tumbler media into the search and got some advice from the thread. I bought some corn cob reptile bedding and a bottle of NuFinish at WallyWorld. Threw in the corn cob, added a splash of acetone and 1 capful of NuFinish then let her rip for 1.5hrs.

Here are the results:

Not Bad!

Foto Joe
08-12-2013, 08:46 PM
I haven't read a lot of threads about tumblers simply because what works for me works for me. Cheap corn cob media, yup I buy it by the 40 pound sack. Nu-Finish, yup I love the stuff. Used dryer sheet to keep the dust down, check on that one too simply because my lovely wife keeps me in good supply. But Acetone??? Educate me, what's the reason for putting and EXTREMELY flammable chemical into the mix to be absorbed by the media??

waco
08-12-2013, 09:30 PM
good question Joe.......

DeanWinchester
08-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't the acetone evaporate in the first few moments? Whst purpose would that serve?

Foto Joe
08-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Since my tumbler is plastic I'd be concerned about a possible degradation of the tumbler itself caused by the acetone. That and I've fired acetelyne cannons before and that stuff packs a whallup!!

jonp
08-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Read the thread and answer by duke in maine. The acetone is supposed to cut the smoke and powder better. It was,absorbed by the corncob. Are you saying not to use it?

Taylor3006
08-13-2013, 04:55 AM
I think mineral spirits would be a better option than acetone.. The brass looks good though!

jonp
08-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Ok, I was mistaken on what I used. It was mineral spirits not acetone.

Foto Joe
08-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Mineral spirits, thanks for the clarification that was quite the typo. I might actually give that a try one of these days.

jonp
08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Mineral spirits, thanks for the clarification that was quite the typo. I might actually give that a try one of these days.

Not a typo. A total brain cramp