PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever loan your pocket knife

Down South
08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
When someone asks me to borrow my knife I usually follow with the question, what do you need it for? I made the mistake of not asking that question Saturday while preoccupied with something else. When I came to my senses, I went to check out what the person that had my knife was using it for.
They were trying to pry a 12 Ga shell out of the magazine. I quickly stopped them but it was too late. They had bent the point of my case trapper clip blade. I knew if I tried to straighten it, it would break. "Been down this road before". Sure enough, I had it almost straight and snap.
I can make a new point but I'm still mad at myself.
The worst problem is the guy prying on the shell didn't have the sense to know the shell wasn't stuck. He never pressed the release button which took me about 5 seconds to figure out.

Sensai
08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
My Granpa told me that when I was just a young pup. I'm an old dawg now, but I've tried to remember that every time somebody asks. I sure miss him sometimes.

SP5315
08-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your Case. This was something that my father instilled to me years ago. I guess I was about seven and asked to use his knife. He told me no. Latter the next day pop handed me a box with a new knife in it and told me to never loan it to anyone. Still have the knife, the blade is a little smaller after years of sharpening, and now is in honored retirement.

starnbar
08-12-2013, 02:02 PM
DS don't beat yourself up i'm an old dog and every once in a while I get caught like that too it gets you mad but then its normally a long time before you get hit again.

tengaugetx
08-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Look at it as a great opportunity to get a new knife. A little less than three weeks and you can start carrying an automatic (switch blade) in Texas. The old prohibition of switch blade law ends August 31st. I've got one on the way.
http://www.pvk.com/webcat/Hubertus-9CM-bone.shtml

destrux
08-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I learned this one the hard way when someone at the salvage yard asked to borrow it to cut something quick and then proceeded to use it to cut and pry a windshield out. Should having known better but I momentarily forgot that common sense and courtesy isn't something everyone has.

williamwaco
08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I tell'em I don't carry one.

1Shirt
08-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Only if I do with it for whatever they wanted to use it for. Most African hunting guides advise well in advance never to loan your knife(s) to an African skinner, with emphasis on an expensive knife. Have watch a number of them use what ever stone was available. Would hate to have a custom knife dinged up that way!
1Shirt!

TreeKiller
08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
My brother always carried 2 his and a loner.

Beerd
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
My number one rule is, "If a man ain't carrying a knife, then he is probably too stupid to use one and he ain't borrowing mine."

PB

:bigsmyl2:

Down South
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
I've had a knife in my pocket daily for almost half a century. I don't know how anybody can go through life without a knife in his pocket. My number one rule is, "If a man ain't carrying a knife, then he is probably too stupid to use one and he ain't borrowing mine."

PB
I agree with most of what you said. I've been carrying one more than half a century. I don't know how anybody gets through life without a pocket knife. There seems to be many that can do it though. I would bet that I use mine at least once a day, many times several times a day. I have worn out many. But the knives that I carry cleans game and fish along with the daily tasks of cutting stuff or just cleaning the dirt under my fingernails.
I've carried a knife since I was in grade school. It's one of the first things that I put in my pocket when I dress along with my CCW and wallet.

John Allen
08-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I will not lend out my knife anymore as I had the tip bent once and that was enough. I do not know why people think a knife can be used as a prybar.

Hardcast416taylor
08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
That`s why I carry a Swiss army knife that has only 4 different functions. The 1 I currently have in my pocket is pushing 20+ years old and hasn`t been broken yet by a nimrod with knives. If I carried an expensive knife I can almost bet that I`ll lose it within 3 months.Robert

Blammer
08-12-2013, 03:22 PM
my wife asked me once, "Do you have your knife on you?"

I replied, "I got my pants on don't I?"

yea, I never loan my pocket knife out.

bob208
08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
i have been carrying a knife since i was 10. got one when i joined the cub scouts. it was a barlow with two blades. i am 63 now and the number of times i have been without a knife are very few. at those times i feel like i forgot my pants.

the thing is it is not just knives. tools people are just as bad or worse. last place i worked they would ask to use a screw driver i would ask what for. then i would hand them either a pry bar or a chisle. depending on the answer. another would be i need a big wrench. i would ask what size? just a big heavy one. then i would hand them a hammer.

popper
08-12-2013, 03:39 PM
I carry a $5 folding Buck - disposable. I'm careful who I lend it to, don't like the sight of blood.

cheese1566
08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
I dont seem to get asked often as my sensible cohorts all carry one. Except my brother in law who was always asking me...seems odd he always asked and I always replied "Where is yours?" He always replies back that he hardly ever needs one...but seems he always asks me every time I'm around. Don"t figure!
(If I bought him one, he would still never carry it.)

PS: a Basic Swiss Army is the way to go!

dakotashooter2
08-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Whenever a situation comes up where a knife is needed everyone seems to look my way.................But I do the cutting............

onceabull
08-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Walked up a pard trying to open up his elk with the only knive he had on him ,about 2.5" blade..Already past twilight and need to walk back to camp(3 Miles) to get pack animals,so lent him my Orig.Puma Game Warden(serial # indicates 64 manufacture).. with this warning--"IF you don't hand me the knife when you see me next, I'll leave you where the elk is now." I'm still using that knive..Used to lose a knife now and again, got my first Randall, in 1969, haven't lost a knife since.. Onceabull

Down South
08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Walked up a pard trying to open up his elk with the only knive he had on him ,about 2.5" blade..Already past twilight and need to walk back to camp(3 Miles) to get pack animals,so lent him my Orig.Puma Game Warden(serial # indicates 64 manufacture).. with this warning--"IF you don't hand me the knife when you see me next, I'll leave you where the elk is now." I'm still using that knive..Used to lose a knife now and again, got my first Randall, in 1969, haven't lost a knife since.. Onceabull
That's why I carry a Trapper. It's 4-1/8" closed. It's big enought I can dress a deer and small enought not to be uncomfortable in my Jenes pocket.

Outpost75
08-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Reminds me of a fellow who wanted to borrow a "wrench".

I asked him what size?

Big one he said?

What size is the nut? I asked...

Gimmie a 2 inch wrench, he said

I ask, what kind of 2-inch wrench, box?, open-end, adjustable?

I don't care, just gimmie a BFW..

I said, NO!, not until you tell me what you are using it for, and you need to sign it out in thr property book.

I need it to pound the lock lever on a waterproof hatch cover I can't get to close....

Call the Chief of the Watch, we found our Gremlin boat destroyer!

dreamer56
08-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Hate this thread - I was dumb. Loaned my knife at an event - afterwards - hey, can I have my knife back? Blank stare - they put it down somewhere and it disappeared. Never loan your knife.

kenyerian
08-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Dad always said you was only half dressed without your knife. I've carried since grade school. Unfortunatly your not allowed to carry one on planes. to school, major sporting events, courthouse etc. I've had to turn around and make a long walk back to the pickup because I refused to surrender my knife. I don't loan it out either.

Down South
08-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Looking at a Boker Tree Brand Trapper to replace it with. I never was happy with this particular Case knife. It's been one of the hardest to sharpen that I've had yet.
It's not an expensive knife but I never spend a lot on my carry knives to begin with.

6.5 mike
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Knife goes in pocket, then wallet, keys, ect. Carried a knife a lot longer then anything else, including 4 wives, lol.

DLCTEX
08-12-2013, 07:49 PM
The only time I'm without a knife is when flying. I'm not going to furnish those airport nuts with a good knife.

DHurtig
08-12-2013, 07:56 PM
I've never had a problem when I loaned my pocket knife. It never ceases to amaze me how often some one says " Dam that's sharp ". I always respond with " Why would I carry a dull knife? "

TCFAN
08-12-2013, 08:00 PM
I have carried the same pocket knife for the last 45 years. Try never to loan it but if I do then I never take my eyes off of it till I get it back in my pocket..........Terry

freebullet
08-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Day late & dollar short on the warning for me. Mine is more of a letter opener after lending it to my wife yesterday.

Houndog
08-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I've got a Queen trapper made of D2 tool steel and there's absolutely NO WAY I'll loan it to anybody! The blades are brittle and it's a bear to sharpen, but it's straight razor sharp and it stays that way. If someone needs to cut something, I'll cut it for them!

Ajax
08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I prefer the case trapper but have been carrying a wenger Swiss army knife (the basic one) for the last 2 years and it is very handy.

Andy

btroj
08-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Don't load your knife to anyone you wouldn't loan your wife to

Lead Fred
08-12-2013, 11:16 PM
My EDC pocket knife is either in my hand, or in my pocket
It never stays from my possession

MaryB
08-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Buck Selector in my purse, friend just gave me a Dajo survival knife that sits in my glove compartment.

dkf
08-13-2013, 12:03 AM
I tell'em I don't carry one.

That would not be a lie in my case. I carry two.:D

One is a Victronox Pioneer that comes in handy all the time and takes abuse.

oscarflytyer
08-13-2013, 12:20 AM
I agree with most of what you said. I've been carrying one more than half a century. I don't know how anybody gets through life without a pocket knife. There seems to be many that can do it though. I would bet that I use mine at least once a day, many times several times a day. I have worn out many. But the knives that I carry cleans game and fish along with the daily tasks of cutting stuff or just cleaning the dirt under my fingernails.
I've carried a knife since I was in grade school. It's one of the first things that I put in my pocket when I dress along with my CCW and wallet.

+1 to pocket knife since grade school (I am 50)... And +1 to pocket knife, CCW and wallet. Also a watch and bandana for me. And now an old dog tag on a 550 cord bracelet a Jarhead friend recently made for me... Consider all of the above basic survival items! Won't leave home w/o them...

Firebricker
08-13-2013, 12:21 AM
The only time I'm without a knife is when flying. I'm not going to furnish those airport nuts with a good knife.
I've had to mail my knife home more than once. Last time was at the SLC airport I was already in line so I told first TSA agent I could find to prevent a panic. They were good about sent me to the little store inside the secure area just had to address and stamp it hand to them then sign showing I saw them put it in envelope.

Down South, I always liked the older German Bokers but every time I get one my buddy seams to talk me out of it. If you go with another Case see if you can find one with the carbon blades they usually have the yellow handles. I like the trapper pattern knives I also like the Sod Buster Jrs that's my second knife most of the time.

Myself and a few guys from work all but Kershaw Blurs all the same. My one buddy will come up to me and hand me his knife and says hand it over meaning for me to give him mine. The trade back is after his is good and sharp LOL I don't do that for just anyone.
One other thing on the topic of lending a pocket knife is make sure it's handed back to you they way you lent it whether that's open or closed. Now I'm not superstitious cause everybody knows it's bad luck to be superstitious but getting an open knife back when you handed off closed is to scary to chance. FB

longusmc
08-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Been carrying a knife of some sort almost everyday for the last 20 years in places where not prohibited. The most recent is a Cold Steel Recon 1 my parents gave me before a deployment. I made the mistake of lending it to someone who tried cutting wire across the serrated edge.

Adam10mm
08-13-2013, 01:09 AM
I keep my knife on a lanyard for a reason. Stays within 3 feet of me at all times.

Mallard57
08-13-2013, 01:34 AM
I carry a Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman pretty much at all times. Whenever I've loaned either I'm always sorry. How do people function without a knife or a Leatherman type multitool?

AricTheRed
08-13-2013, 01:45 AM
I carry a Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman pretty much at all times. Whenever I've loaned either I'm always sorry. How do people function without a knife or a Leatherman type multitool?

Most folk don't really function all that well...

08-13-2013, 06:14 AM
A few years ago my daughter was in high school band and I was the president of the band boosters. The band played at a basketball game in the local state university gym. When I set off the metal detector the campus cop said "are you wearing a large belt buckle," I said "no," he said "oh, I see you have a pocketknife in your pocket." I pulled it out to show him it was a small 3 blade Buck. He said "you can't have a weapon on this campus and I'm going to confiscate it" My reply was "I don't consider it a weapon and I'm going to let you take it." At this point he was holding 1 side and he was holding the other. There was ziplock bag on the table half full of confiscated knives. I said "you can tell me I can't come in, you can let me go put it in my vehicle, but you are not taking my knife." He went back to "you can't have a weapon on this campus." I said "look I've had this knife in my pocket for 30 years." He finally came to his senses and let me go put it in my vehicle. Sometimes common sense does win out.

Curlymaple42
08-13-2013, 06:44 AM
I've had a knife in my pocket daily for almost half a century. I don't know how anybody can go through life without a knife in his pocket. My number one rule is, "If a man ain't carrying a knife, then he is probably too stupid to use one and he ain't borrowing mine."

PB

This is perfection! Plus, so many people regard then as weapons on sight! So frustrating! I use the one on my left thigh to skin oranges probably more than anything. The leatherman is used daily, if not hourly. Tools. The knives and the people!

Wayne Smith
08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
"A knife is a tool. A dull tool is a dangerous tool." My Dad taught me that.

762 shooter
08-13-2013, 07:59 AM
I carry a Swiss Champ every day. I take a little **** for all the items on it. I use something on it every day. "What do you need it for" is the first question I ask.

I have a Buck Lite that I carry to skin. I was hunting on an island one season with several friends and we started talking and showing knives. Fixed blades were the norm, a couple of lockers, and my Swiss Army. Swiss Army got no respect.

After the morning hunt and fishing off the dock sitting in rocking chairs, it was time for the big college football game on the rabbit eared TV. The antenna was not attached and required a phillips head to attach. No phillips to be found! Swiss Army saved the day.

EMC45
08-13-2013, 10:48 AM
My Dad started buying me pocket knives when I was about 4. I have carried one since except where prohibited. I have lent out knives and got them back different. I have learned. Once a guy in my fire team tried to cut reinforced Com wire with my Swiss Victorinox. Ruined the edge till I got back to my ALICE pack to slick it back up. STUPID! Most folks comment on the sharpness of my pocket and kitchen knives. I just tell them it is a knife and it's supposed to be sharp. My 3 kids have pocket knives they use with my supervision. They are all very sharp. They respect that.

Adam10mm
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
I've never cut myself with a sharp knife. Only dull knives.

shooterg
08-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Carried a Boker "Johnny Reb" my Mom gave me from 1965 until 2005. Now I carry a Leatherman the bride gave me.
Like so many above I carried one to school, back then the teachers would often ask for the loan of one to cut some string/etc.
Now you take a plastic knife to school, get expelled !

Echo
08-13-2013, 11:27 AM
I carry 2, a little Swiss Army that has a thumb drive(!) and a small lock-back with composite scales (light in the pocket). The thumb drive is there when needed, as is the scissors. I don't travel enough now to worry about airport confiscation, but son Jim managed to get the sweet little lock-back confiscated within a month of my giving it to him. At 78, I'm not much into a hunting mode, and don't need a toughy for skinning. And I believe ANY man should carry a pocket knife...

blackthorn
08-13-2013, 12:03 PM
I grew up on a farm and I don't remember a time when I did not have a pocket knife. When my Grandaughter turned 7 we were up at the lake and I gave her a small/medium pocket knife. It was made in Ireland and in spite of being cheap it holds a good edge. Before I gave it to her I sharpened it up real good. She took the knife outside and proceeded to atack a willow tree/bush. A short time later she appeared i the cabin door holding her finger with her other hand. I asked her "how bad did you cut yourself?" "Not bad" she said "but I'll tell you one thing---mummy is not going to be impressed!" She is 29 and she still has (and uses) that knife.

montana_charlie
08-13-2013, 12:05 PM
As daily routine, I carry two knives.
A Buck 501 'Squire' lockback rides in a pouch on my belt where it (or it's predecessor) has been for thirty-five years.
In my pocket, on a ring with my house keys, is the small Swiss Army knife that has a blade, scissors, toothpick, and tweezers.

The blade is razor sharp and I 'never' use it. It is a backup edge for when it might be needed.
The other three 'tools' get regular use.

About ten years ago a friend gave me a Lansky sharpener for Christmas. Ever since then I have been able to keep the Buck truly sharp.

CM

Springfield
08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
30 or so years ago when I was Deputy Sheriff I was working the maximum security section of the County Jail when a new Deputy called on the radio that he had a swinger(a guy hanging himself). We were both up on the catwalk above the cells, and as I got there before the guys on the ground I cut the sheet he was trying to hang himself with with my pocket knife. When I asked the other Deputy why he didn't do it first he said he had never carried a knife. I told him "he better start". I have carried since I was 6 years old when an older neighbor boy gave me one. I prompty lost it later that day, set it down in the dirt next to a tree in the orchard behind our house. All those trees looked the same! A week later I bought myself another one at the store where we went camping with the Cub Scouts. Have had one ever since. I currently carriy a Swiss in one pocket and a Cold Steel folding tanto in the other, and a Leatherman on my belt. I gave both my kids pocket knives, but my daughter "forgot" and took hers to school one day(she was 11 and in 6th grade), earned herself a one week suspension. That taught her a lesson on stupid zero tolerance laws and how people don't care if we didn't mean any harm, you will still get punished. Also learned don't let your big mouth friends go through your purse.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-13-2013, 06:12 PM
had a guy cut a live 120V wire with mine once. That messes them up real quick and real bad. You have an instant gut hook.

USAFrox
08-13-2013, 10:40 PM
My knife is my American Express card. I don't leave home without it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-14-2013, 12:43 AM
my wife asked me once, "Do you have your knife on you?"

I replied, "I got my pants on don't I?"

yea, I never loan my pocket knife out.

I said that a few to many times now she asks if I am wearing pants , when she wants the knife

My current go to knife is a Green River I built from a blank and made my own leather sheath for , i know it's not a pocket knife but i carry it most days

when that isn't along i have a few different pocket knives

I still have the cub scout knife i got when i was 8

but being as i seem to loose one every few years i don't carry that one

I loan mine out all the time in the house , seems every time i sit down to lunch no one thought to grab a knife from the kitchen and my green river ends up slicing cheese , sausage and spreading mayo

thing about a fixed blade is no one ever tries to stick it in their pocket and walk away with it.

MaryB
08-14-2013, 12:53 AM
I use an EdgePro sharpener, can give a blade a repeatable razor edge. www.edgeproinc.com

bandit7.5
08-14-2013, 01:25 AM
O
When someone asks me to borrow my knife I usually follow with the question, what do you need it for? I made the mistake of not asking that question Saturday while preoccupied with something else. When I came to my senses, I went to check out what the person that had my knife was using it for.
They were trying to pry a 12 Ga shell out of the magazine. I quickly stopped them but it was too late. They had bent the point of my case trapper clip blade. I knew if I tried to straighten it, it would break. "Been down this road before". Sure enough, I had it almost straight and snap.
I can make a new point but I'm still mad at myself.
The worst problem is the guy prying on the shell didn't have the sense to know the shell wasn't stuck. He never pressed the release button which took me about 5 seconds to figure out.

I çarry two knives. in the left pocket a **** Chinese. in the right pocket my knife. I only loan out of the left pocket

10x
08-14-2013, 07:57 AM
My friends do not ask me if they can borrow my knife, but then I pick my friends carefully.
When someone asks me if I have a knife, I ask them "what do you need cut?" and will do it for them.

1Shirt
08-14-2013, 12:07 PM
A knife of some sort is a sign of manhood, and to a young man a rite of passage. Men who carry knifes of some sort are men, mostly of the old school. I feel sorry for kids today not being able to carry a pocket knife to school. Remember playing mumbly peg during recess on school grounds. I had a knife in my pocket, in school probably from the time I was 7-8 years old, and for sure by the time I was 10. Have probably had a dozen pocket knifes over the years. Today, I usually have two on me: an "Old Timer" pocket knife, and the knife on my Leatherman, and when I have my keys in my pocket, have a little folding Leatherman with knife and sizers (and I don't leave home with out it"). Have managed to not loose my Old Timer now for over 10 years. (probably should not have said that)! It has gone thru the washing machine a couple of times however.
1Shirt!

44Vaquero
08-14-2013, 12:23 PM
No I do not. I do however believe in Gibb's Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife!

Jammersix
08-14-2013, 09:20 PM
After thirty years in construction, a knife is just another tool, and I'm not attached to any tools. I worn out, used up, broken, dropped and destroyed tools that cost 99 cents, 99 dollars and 92,000 dollars. I've loaned them out and not gotten them back, loaned them out with and without the compressor and the air hoses, left them up on the roof, in the job shack or the back of the truck. They've been stolen, vandalized, replaced, stolen again, jury rigged and used by so many crew members that I look at a tool now and don't even see it.

It's a tool.

It's going away. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it's time with you is finite.

So if it really means that much to you, insure it so you can replace it.

I'd loan most tools out just to find out about the person-- because how a person treats a borrowed tool will tell you more about that person than just about anything else, except maybe how they treat a waitress.

Jammersix
08-14-2013, 09:25 PM
30 or so years ago when I was Deputy Sheriff I was working the maximum security section of the County Jail when a new Deputy called on the radio that he had a swinger(a guy hanging himself). ...I cut the sheet he was trying to hang himself with with my pocket knife.

You carried a knife into a maximum security section?

onceabull
08-14-2013, 09:46 PM
'A knife is just another tool"--- and so is a rifle, which is maybe why I've found three rifles left by "someone" in the woods..Of Course,I have no idea if the 'Hunter" that left it actually owned it...Turned them all over to the custody of the first conservation officer I came up on.. Onceabull

Sgtonory
08-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Same with me let 2 different people use my knife now i have 2 fewer knifes. Its always oops forgot to give it back or you did not see me leave it on the top of your car. Never again will i let anyone borrow my knife.

nicholst55
08-15-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't loan out the following: knives, tools, guns, bullet molds, my wife, or my dog - for all the reasons already elaborated. Well, that and my wife would probably emasculate me with my own knife if I tried to loan her out!

km101
08-15-2013, 04:40 PM
I'd loan most tools out just to find out about the person-- because how a person treats a borrowed tool will tell you more about that person than just about anything else, except maybe how they treat a waitress.

Well said and very true! And that's fine with a tool, but I have some knives that are more than tools. Some were handmade by me, or others that I respect, and some were given to me by friends or relatives that are now gone. So I don't loan them to anyone. If I am asked, I inquire why they need it and offer to do the job for them if it is a reasonable request. Even my kids and grandkids don't ask to borrow my knives.

Rangefinder
08-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Man, it sure is nice to log in here and KNOW I'm in good company... A thread has to be pretty important for me to sit and read every post beyond a few pages--I normally just skill for the important details and then back up if something didn't click. But this one got me--all four pages of it so far.

My number one rule is, "If a man ain't carrying a knife, then he is probably too stupid to use one and he ain't borrowing mine."
That's probably some of the best thinking I've come upon in a long time--and that in itself is pretty darn sad. I get asked almost every day if I have my knife on me, and rarely is the day that I don't use my knife. As if I wouldn't have my knife??---I'd be stripped to my nickers and still have a knife on me somewhere, it's just a golden rule learned since childhood (except it's not allowed in this modern PC-BS world for a kid to have his pocket-knife anymore--go figure). Good thing I grew up when I did--back in the days when it wasn't anything special for a couple young kids to be seen packing their 22's out to the fields to plink. God help the future generations... Back to knives--I have several, and they change off and on depending on when I grab one at O'dark-thirty and give it the "thumb-test" to see if it'll do for the day or if it's time to hit it on the stone. No matter what, I always have a sharp knife--end of story. Anyone who doesn't are usually lacking some shred in common sense (in my honest opinion), and are usually the ones known to commonly ask "Hey, can I borrow your knife?"

Springfield
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Jqmmersix: We were up on the catwalk above the cells and that area wasn't accessible by the inmates. We were allowed to carry in our pockets in the minimum and medium security areas. There was talk of only allowing knives in belt pouches, although that didn't seem any more secure to me. It's not like the inmates didn't have their own knives anyway. We confiscated knives, nun chucks, tattoo guns, pruno, and all kinds of stuff all the time.

ironhead7544
08-15-2013, 06:04 PM
My grandfather gave me a pocket knife when I turned five years old. Had it for many years. When someone asks to borrow the knife I carry now, I tell them is costs $165.00. Break it or lose it, you buy me a new one, right? That makes them a lot more careful.

charlie3tuna
08-16-2013, 05:28 AM
As others have said, I also have read every post. Also, I carry.

Please don't ban me from the forum, but the knife wasn't given to me by my father, it came from Harbor Freight. It is a cheap ($5) folding, razor blade box cutter knife. It's as ugly as home-made sin IHMO. But the blade is reversible when it dulls. If it breaks when used for prying, so what! When the blade dulls, it gets pitched, not sharpened, and replaced from the 100 pack of blades from Wally World that cost $12 (???). They last a long time since my uses aren't very demanding. Last time it was used was to trim some small 1/2" tree limbs at my brother's house. I'm taller than he is, and they brushed my head every time I went inside. Thought about getting pruning shears but than said, nah!

He is a knife nut (no offense meant to anyone). Said my knife would be nasty in a fight. Being as I'm old, fat and slow, I'd use my 38 loaded with WCs instead. Thankfully, I can still pull a trigger quickly.

charlie

KCSO
08-16-2013, 09:59 AM
My Brother in Law borrowed my Smith and Wesson razor sharp folder to scrape and engine block one time. I asked why he didn't borrow a scraper and he said, "you keep the knife sharper". Ruined the edge and scarred the blade, my last time.

sparkz
08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
when some one asks for my knife I say what for and go cut it for them,, your lucky you even got it back,,
Something are just not borrowed out, Like knives, underwear, dogs, fav. shotgun, wives, some stuff ya just dont ask for

Patrick

MT Gianni
08-16-2013, 08:08 PM
I generally have three with me. A leatherman on the hip, a mini leatherman in my pocket ans a 1.25" Tanto on my truck key ring.

Adk Mike
08-16-2013, 09:17 PM
My knife is in one of two places. My pocket or my hand. Bloody or dirty it doesn't matter my hand or pocket. Never set it down. That's how they get lost.

jeepyj
08-16-2013, 09:55 PM
In 1988 my Bride worked at a neat little store in our small town and the old fella carried Victorinox knives. For a gift she bought me a "Officer Suisse" 4 blade Jem. It is worn to shredes and I have looked high and low to for the exact one but no luck. Hopefully I never misplace it as I use it everyday at least once and it just feels right. Surprising how we knife carriers seem to be the doers and in my honest opinion one can usually tell the type of person is by the fact if the are a knife / leatherman carrier on not
Jeepyj79352

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-16-2013, 10:52 PM
I carry a small cheapo lockback, plastic scales, you see 'em at gunshows and hardware stores for about $3. the blade is half serated. I keep a few in the gloves boxes of each vehicle. I don't lend 'em...I just say here, it's yours.

a decade ago, I use to carry a fairly expensive Gerber Applegate covert, I had an early one with the ATS-34 blade...Til I lost it while snowmobiling...I still search a couple areas where I think if could have fell out of my pocket.

bearcove
08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Morakniv carbon blade amazon $14 made in sweden.

Sharp sharpenable strong bring a dozen on safari. Just a customer.

pmeisel
08-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Look at it this way, for only $50 or so you can find out just how big an idiot your friend is, then have a reason to never trust him again...

clownbear69
08-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Im surprised in this day and age less and less people don't have their own tools. I usually say no when they ask.

Down South
08-18-2013, 07:10 PM
As I said already, I've carried a knife since grade school. I've worn out many, I mean wore em out. I have a retirement place that I keep the knives that I have worn out/replaced. I've owned a number of the Trapper series knives. Case and Boker Tree Brand are the manufactures I know of that make Trappers.
I hear some who say that they have carried the same knife for more than 10 yrs and I'm sure it's probable. A knife just won't hold up that long for me. Maybe I need to change the way I sharpen one.
I don't buy cheap knives but on the other hand I don't spend a fortune on one either. I will hardly spend more than around $60 for a knife. The Boker Tree Brand Trapper that I just got cost me about $30 shipped, one of those Flebay deals.
That reminds me, I need to contact that seller. Their advertising was a little deceptive. It was advertised as Carbon Steel blades and it was High Carbon Stainless Steel. If it will hold an edge, it will be alright. I was really looking for plain Carbon Steel.
Link to Knife I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310721736213?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
I know Boker makes this knife with both steels.

I, like a few others here carried a Leatherman on my side when I was in the field pulling wrenches. I have 3-4 of them, maybe more.
I had a neat nylon pouch that carried a compact high power flashlight and a Leatherman Wave.

BBQJOE
08-19-2013, 08:47 PM
I carry a Piranha.
I love it.
Not for everyday use, the leatherman is for that.

waynem34
08-20-2013, 09:39 PM
When I was about 6 I sharpened one of my dads knives on the front step.Only time I Think ever seen him cry.Not really sure he was crying I think he was going to kill me.He gave me that knife 15 years later and laughed.I remember the day when I done it.He is gone now.He always told me if I were twins then one of us would have had to die.He didnt mean it. lol

catmandu
08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
This thread really hits a nerve. I feel the same way. Also point out that learning how to sharpen your knife is part of that right of passage.
A common point in this thread is why is the offending borrower often a brother in law? I have a few that fit in here and then there are the ones that I keep pointy things away from so they don't hurt anybody.

Always have a good folder, my Gerber (like a Leatherman but it locks the pliers in the slide open position) and a small gentlemans knife in my watch pocket of my jeans. A man should have a good sharp knife. Period.

Keep up the good work.

Paul in WNY

Char-Gar
08-21-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't loan a knife, a gun, my dog or my wife. No exceptions!

Fishman
08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
As I said already, I've carried a knife since grade school. I've worn out many, I mean wore em out. I have a retirement place that I keep the knives that I have worn out/replaced. I've owned a number of the Trapper series knives. Case and Boker Tree Brand are the manufactures I know of that make Trappers.
I hear some who say that they have carried the same knife for more than 10 yrs and I'm sure it's probable. A knife just won't hold up that long for me. Maybe I need to change the way I sharpen one.
I don't buy cheap knives but on the other hand I don't spend a fortune on one either. I will hardly spend more than around $60 for a knife. The Boker Tree Brand Trapper that I just got cost me about $30 shipped, one of those Flebay deals.
That reminds me, I need to contact that seller. Their advertising was a little deceptive. It was advertised as Carbon Steel blades and it was High Carbon Stainless Steel. If it will hold an edge, it will be alright. I was really looking for plain Carbon Steel.
Link to Knife I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310721736213?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
I know Boker makes this knife with both steels.

I, like a few others here carried a Leatherman on my side when I was in the field pulling wrenches. I have 3-4 of them, maybe more.
I had a neat nylon pouch that carried a compact high power flashlight and a Leatherman Wave.

Down South, I have a stainless Boker Tree Brand fixed blade knife my Dad gave me a few years back. It holds an edge better than any of my other knives, and I have a bunch. I can take apart a whole deer with it with no touch ups but I generally do a couple times anyway to keep it razor sharp. Anyway, if your new knife is the same steel, you should really like it.