PDA

View Full Version : How is lymans customer service

glockky
08-10-2013, 11:36 PM
I plan on buying some of lymans prodcuts but have never heard how there customer service is. This is something I have learned means a lot in the long run.

Dan Cash
08-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Can't tell you. Every thing I have bought from Lyman since 1958 or so has worked like it is supposed to. You can buy with confidence from Lyman.

9.3X62AL
08-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Lyman's customer service has been generally pretty good for me. You need to be careful about mould cavity dimensions with some calibers (45 rifle comes to mind here, they are notoriously undersized--but so are RCBS moulds), but repairs and parts have been turned around efficiently for me on several occasions.

Lloyd Smale
08-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Not nearly as good as the best companys like dillon, hornady and rcbs.

Ed_Shot
08-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Recently bought 2 Lyman DC mold rebuild kits from MidSouth for $7 ea. Tried one kit on my Lyman/Ideal 358242 and the mounting screw heads were too big for the holes in the blocks. Called Lyman and they said they changed the diameter of the screw heads about 30 yr ago but they'd machine some screws for me and get them in the mail. I had the right size screws in 4 days. Since most of my stuff is Lyman and most of it is 30 yr's old I'm pretty satisfied with their service

40-82 hiker
08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
I plan on buying some of lymans prodcuts but have never heard how there customer service is. This is something I have learned means a lot in the long run.

I bought a Lyman 4500 this late Winter, and it was delivered in somewhat of a sad state. The bore the ram slides through was barely polished, with much scratching and grinding of the ram resulting. The lube reservoir was filled with shavings left over from the manufacturing process, and a somewhat heavy grease, which left me very concerned about the damage to my gun bores if I did not get the shavings out totally. I called Lyman, and the service I got was very good, because I provided the service. The help I got was very friendly and to the point, but we decided there was little reason to send it back. I took a shotgun mop (can't remember if 12, 16, or 20 ga.) and some polishing compound and polished the bore myself. I then used, at various time, dish washing detergent and a bottle brush, acetone, a garaden hose for pressure wash, and Q-tips, to clean out the lube reservoir. I mailed a sample of the shavings back to Lyman, and was told they were shavings of powder coating that had been machined off after it had been powder coated. They were very hard, but also quite brittle.

The employee responsible for this mess had already been "let go" is what I was told. To sum it up, Lyman was great, as I was told to send it back, but it all would have taken far too long, and too much aggravation. I would still give Lyman good marks for the phone service I got. They did mail me some lube sticks for performing their job for them. The lady I spoke with a number of times was very good at her job. But still...

I don't know if this helps, and I certainly do not know how often this happens, but, while I would order Lyman stuff again without hesitation, I would certainly look it over VERY carefully before using it. My Lyman casting pot and other stuff seem to be just fine.

Melski
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
They won't be getting any more of my business. Picked up a used #55 powder measure and needed a part. They said I needed to send it in to be fitted. $10 later I sent it in only to get a $50 estimate. Could have bought a new measure. Told them to send it back and I would make the part myself. I asked why it was $50 when a new one lists for $68 and they wouldn't answer.

blikseme300
12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
I have not needed to call Lyman customer service but I have found that in general the outcome of a customer service call is very dependent on the attitude and tone of the caller.

zomby woof
12-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I've sent two items back to Lyman. I was pleased with the outcome both times,

weasel 21
12-17-2013, 12:08 AM
I needed a part for my M die; the part was $4, shipping was $4, & they charged me sales tax though I don't live in Conn. Not too impressed.

kayak1
12-17-2013, 12:57 AM
I was able to pickup parts for my old 450 to upgrade it with the new handle etc very easily and for short money .

blikseme300
12-17-2013, 07:11 AM
I needed a part for my M die; the part was $4, shipping was $4, & they charged me sales tax though I don't live in Conn. Not too impressed.

Unfortunately the days of not paying sales tax if ordering from out of state are gone for the most part. Between taxes and shipping the consolidation of purchases does help but I seem to buy more things I "need".

Larry Gibson
12-17-2013, 09:36 AM
I have not needed to call Lyman customer service but I have found that in general the outcome of a customer service call is very dependent on the attitude and tone of the caller.

Isn't that the truth.

I've had several dealings with Lyman's customer service and their technical department over the years. Every single one has been satisfactory. If I buy something new and something is wrong with it I don't blame Lyman or any business if they want $s to fix it, especially if it was abused. Even then they've most often picked up the charges except for the initial shipping to them. My Mag 20 quit working after several years. I called about getting a new heating element. The rep said the heating element should not have burned out and requested I sent the mag 20 back. Cost about $25 to ship. Got it back in 2 weeks fixed and no additional charges. A wire had burned in two that shouldn't have. Quite frankly I've never sent a mould back, never had to. Got small parts for other items w/o any problems and minimal charge. Lyman is a good company and has been one of the bedrocks of our bullet casting hobby since they bought the Ideal Bullet business from Marlin in 1925.

Larry Gibson

'74 sharps
12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Needed a couple of small parts, called them, sent at no charge.

TheCelt
12-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I had a 4500 sizer that had a casting flaw that showed up long after the warranty expired. The replaced the body and rebuilt the lubesizer for free. I am pretty happy with Lyman.

9.3X62AL
12-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I gotta say here, the reloading tool makers have been VERY GOOD to me--almost to the point of calling their fine customer service a "given" characteristic of this group of makers. That may be why I'm so deeply disappointed in the performance of ammo and component makers since The Great Dictator took office in 2008. But, I digress.......

Shooternz
12-17-2013, 05:05 PM
I ordered a couple of M dies off them, took them 2 months to process the order not real impressed with that, but the dies are well made and they were well packed. Robert

bob208
12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
bought a ten lb. pot in 71 from them. the thermostat went out in 90. sent it back they said it was discounted. sent it back with a new thermostat from a 20 lb. model. you can see when they had to make it fit the pot. it works great there was no charge. just ordered some parts to rebuild my 450 again. ordered. Monday they got here Friday no tax was charged.

I go to lyman first.

wistlepig1
12-17-2013, 07:35 PM
I only had a need to call them one time. I was nice and was treated ok but not great. Like Dillon and RCBS is Great, I would call only OK.

Shiloh
12-21-2013, 07:08 PM
When I called then, the gentlemen who took the call was very appreciative that I had part #'s and knew what I needed.
Both times were good experiences.
Shiloh