PDA

View Full Version : Update from a previous post

Lead melter
10-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Just to give an update on a question about using parraffin wax for a bullet lube.

I went to the range today to test my latest concoction of bullet lube. Results were promising. 30-30 load of a Lee 170 gr. RNFP GC boolit over 10 grains Unique gave me right at 1500fps from a Marlin lever action. Target at 50 yards held all 10 shots fired within 1 1/2". Lee 240 gr. SWC GC boolit over same powder charge, at same distance, printed 10 shouts in 3". This is the best lead grouping this rifle has ever done.

The lube is a mixture of Vaseline, parraffin, Lee liquid alox, and a small amount of Johnsons pate wax, all melted together and boolits dipped, then sized.

Do you think I'm barking up a hollow tree, or is it possible I'm on to something here.

The idea of my own lube is to make as much of the experience of shooting from my own hands as is possible.

Advice, critique, directions...let 'em fly.

redgum
10-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Congratulaions L/M, If it works for you, then who can criticise, ......
There is a lot of satisfaction in having as much input as possible towards the final outcome.
The mix that works for me is a 3" x 3" x 1" block of Beeswax, a tea spoon full of Lee Alox , a tea spoon full of pure Lanolin and a few drops of eucalyptus oil.
I noticed you said you lube before sizing, ....another experiment I must try.

Lead melter
10-14-2007, 09:26 PM
[/QUOTE]I noticed you said you lube before sizing, ....another experiment I must try.[/QUOTE]

I use Lee sizer dies in this instance. This allows the lube to be sealed in the lube grooves and removes the excess to be re-used. Works for me so far and is a lot cheaper than a new sizer system.

454PB
10-14-2007, 09:38 PM
"Lee 240 gr. SWC GC boolit over same powder charge, at same distance, printed 10 shouts in 3". This is the best lead grouping this rifle has ever done."

I assume this is a typo.....I've not heard of a Lee 240 gr. SWC GC boolit in 30 caliber.

Lead melter
10-15-2007, 06:25 AM
454PB, Ya got me!!! This is a .430" boolit. Lack of sleep, lack of sense, lack of most anything let that one slip through the cracks. Thanks for catching my error.

Bass Ackward
10-15-2007, 07:00 AM
The fastest way to test a lube is to have a control lube to compare against. Pick a high quality lube and shoot 3 loads, the same load, plus a grain, then minus a grain.

If it does no better, then you have a rough answer that means something to you beyond our guessing.

If it does do better, then you have some idea what you are giving up to run your home brew.

Ricochet
10-15-2007, 03:49 PM
My homemade lube that started as a can of JPW is evolving slowly into a mixture of beeswax, lanolin and LLA as it gets used up and those are the things I replenish.