PDA

View Full Version : Multi SWC loads - accurate scattergun?

DrCaveman
08-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Say you had a nice, proven accurate boolit in 358/452 caliber, semiwadcutter design

Then say you took this boolit, loaded it backwards (nose first). Ive heard good results about doing this, mostly relating to sub-sonic rifle loads. Never tried it myself or directly talked to anyone who had.

Then, say you had a very long case in an action which was able to handle pretty high pressure (say 357 Max or 460 magnum). You decide to load ANOTHER swc, normal direction, directly on top of it. Of course, the backward-loaded swc will be pushed pretty far into the case, reducing case capacity.

Finally, you find a load whose boolit weight specification matches that of the two SWC boolits combined. You adjust for the particular case capacity situation (reduce a bit, most likely!)

Somehow this seems to me like it would be more accurate and effective than the old 2-round ball trick. Ive tried the 2-round ball in my 357 a few times, and while it was cool to see two holes instead of one, i was not very much in control of where they hit beyond about 7-10 yds.

I wonder if anyone has tried this combo. I searched a bit on ol' Google as well as here on the forum, didnt see anything. Maybe my terms were wrong

Any safety issues? What do you guys think about this idea?

historicfirearms
08-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Not exactly what you are thinking, but I tried two 32 pistol boolits in the 30-06. It was a fun experiment, but I really couldn't see a "real" use for them. Accuracy was as bad as the two round ball loads.