PDA

View Full Version : Some roots of the NRA you may not be aware of.

Recluse
08-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Normally I don't like posts that simply have a title then a link. I like a little description ahead of time.

But I'm gonna be an intentional hypocrite here--and trust me, this very brief video is going to surprise a large number of you.

Some roots of the National Rifle Association most of America is not aware of. (http://www.youtube.com/embed/9RABZq5IoaQ?feature=player_embedded)

This video needs to be shared and forwarded all over the country and to everyone that you know. After you watch it, you'll understand exactly why.

:coffee:

Catshooter
08-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Recluse,

That's a nice and true video.

However, it took over my computer and I had to shut it down to get anywhere. You might look to that.

Cat

OnceFired
08-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Absolutely true. Here's a new URL to use that doesn't auto-maximize the window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RABZq5IoaQ

Ramar
08-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Recluse,
Thank you. I didn't know.
Ramar

archmaker
08-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Thank you for posting this. I love to know how things got started, and why.

Taylor
08-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Finally

Murphy
08-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Recluse,

Thanks for sharing this. I hope it spread's far and wide. And you are correct about many people not knowing about the true roots of gun control.

Murphy

Charlie Two Tracks
08-09-2013, 08:35 AM
I had no idea how it started.

Charley
08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Revisionist history isn't correct, no matter which side it is done for. NRA founding and history is pretty well documented, nothing about "black codes", nothing about emancipation, those guys are as wrong about the history of the NRA as Sarah Brady is. Here's a bit from NRA's own website, detailing the founding and reasons behind it...
Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

After being granted a charter by the state of New York on November 17, 1871, the NRA was founded. Civil War Gen. Ambrose Burnside, who was also the former governor of Rhode Island and a U.S. Senator, became the fledgling NRA's first president.

Bzcraig
08-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Wow! Good stuff Recluse.......still glad you didn't leave!

41 mag fan
08-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I see anything from Jesse Jackson, my hair stands on end....they're doing the typical "black" thing here. It's all about the "blacks".
How about they drop the racial and realize it's about all mans rights under the constitution.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I was under the impression the NRA started as mainly a sporting group to encourage better marksmanship, not until long after the forming of the NRA did it turn to defending the 2nd Amendment as political figures sought to rip it out of the Constitution. I'll have to do my own research and come back.

Vinne
08-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Recluse, I don't understand how this anti-2nd amendment bunch continue to get elected time after time with the help of the group that would be hurt the most by them!!! Trust seems to be misdirected away from the very party that has always been so supportive of inclusion. Has that carrot on the string become so tempting that nothing else is important??

Recluse
08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Revisionist history isn't correct, no matter which side it is done for. NRA founding and history is pretty well documented, nothing about "black codes", nothing about emancipation, those guys are as wrong about the history of the NRA as Sarah Brady is. Here's a bit from NRA's own website, detailing the founding and reasons behind it...
Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

The NRA's own website leaves out a lot of stuff, and not just about their history, but also about past campaigns they involved themselves with and in.

While they started with a primary objective of teaching proper marksmanship after seeing the dismal performance of militarily trained soldiers from both the Union and Confederate sides of the war, they also saw the lawlessness that had permeated the land after the Civil War, as well as the gatherings of people for treks out west. In all cases, the firearm was an instrument in which one's individual freedom and livelihood would need in order to survive.

NRA members were involved in a variety of efforts, not necessarily on behalf of the association, but rather because of the education they received from the association as well as the strength they had in numbers. Just as with the association today, the membership was diverse and varied--and the individual members had their own interests and pursuits, some of which were assisting in the civil rights (which back then were still called "constitutional rights") of black Americans who were being harassed, threatened, bullied and murdered by the likes of the Ku Klux Klan, who all too often was supported by local law enforcement.

I listened to Charlton Heston give a fascinating talk about the NRA and civil rights one day at the office during lunch when we were preparing some speeches and statements for him. Heston had a number of passions, but civil rights was at the apex--and he included ALL constitutional rights as civil rights. Were he alive today and at the helm of the NRA, he would be Barack Obama and Eric Holder's worst nightmare.

Point is, the Americans in the short video clip see the true value in the NRA and they know, beyond a doubt, where the origins of gun control came from and why and they are adamant that the past not repeat itself with attempts at disarming any part of America.

They are also praising and saying "Thank God for the NRA" because they know without the NRA, the majority of America would already be disarmed and at the mercy of the elected politicians.

Down South
08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
That was good and forwared on.

41 mag fan
08-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Point is, the Americans in the short video clip see the true value in the NRA and they know, beyond a doubt, where the origins of gun control came from and why and they are adamant that the past not repeat itself with attempts at disarming any part of America.

They are also praising and saying "Thank God for the NRA" because they know without the NRA, the majority of America would already be disarmed and at the mercy of the elected politicians.

Thing is on this Recluse, is those same, very same Americans you are talking about, are the very same ones who push for gun control. Jesse Jackson especially.
They want more gov't control over everything, more gov't handouts, and more rights of colored people. Well...colored people nowadays have the very same rights as you and me.

Maybe I'm not seeing the point of the whole video, but when you got someone like Jesse Jackson and others in it, like there is in this video...it makes you kinda hypocritical.

popper
08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Get real. Look at the banner line - 'conservative black leaders'? Jessie & Al? Read about Church here: http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/pfaffs/p95/
Wingate here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wood_Wingate
And here http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25662/25662-h/25662-h.htm
Was this post tongue in cheek?

Recluse
08-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Maybe I'm not seeing the point of the whole video, but when you got someone like Jesse Jackson and others in it, like there is in this video...it makes you kinda hypocritical.

Not sure what video you're watching. The one I posted a link to has Niger Innis, son of Roy Innis who founded CORE (Congress On Racial Equality and a group I am proud to help financially support), one of the members of Project 21 and the head of the Black Chamber of Commerce--an organization despised (and feared) by Obama and the Black Congressional Caucus.

Jesse Jackson is nowhere in that video. None of the people in that video would be caught dead in the same room with Jackson unless it were to ridicule or debate him.

popper
08-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Recluse - my error, the second link gives the names of the speakers, first doesn't and the speaker does look like Jessie. The links I posted are real/factual writings by the originators, not around the civil war period. I do imagine their experience did lead to their action.

Circuit Rider
08-10-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm in my early 70's and remember some Real American History being taught, but about a year ago my memory was jogged by David Barton of Wallbuilders. He was on the Glenn Beck program doing a series on Black American patriots, from the Revolutionary War forward. So much truth has been hidden it's pathetic. If you get the chance to hear David speak you won't be disappointed, about almost any subject. He has also talked about some of the wealthiest slave owners being black. CR