PDA

View Full Version : neck sizing?

Matt85
08-08-2013, 06:36 AM
sorry I wasn't sure where to post this question, since it doesn't really have to do with cast boolits.

I just bought a new M70 in 7mm mauser and its presented a new challenge for me. up until now ive only reloaded strait walled cases and now im faced with bottle necked cases. so my question is: can you get away with only neck sizing bottle neck cases to increase case life?

I figure when you first get the brass you should full length size it. but once its fire formed to your chamber then the shoulder shouldn't change size much after the first shot if you use it in the same chamber. with my 45-70 and .357 i only full length size on the first sizing then after that i only neck size to increase the life of my brass.

im looking at buying these two sets to get started:

http://leeprecision.com/collet-dies-7x57.html
and
http://leeprecision.com/pacesetter-dies-7x57-mauser.html

-matt

jcwit
08-08-2013, 07:25 AM
You should be fine neck sizing only for a number of shots depending on how hot you load the ammo, and of course using the ammo in the same rifle. Keep a check on the overall length of the case as they will stretch over the number of times they're reloaded. Also you will more than likely find that after awhile it may be harder to close the bolt, at that point it time to "bump" the shoulder of the case back a few thousands, then continue.

I have .223 cases that are fired in a Remington 700 that have now been reloaded 70+ times. I should these are not loaded hot, but for accuracy, and I have bumped them now twice.

Keep tabs on your overall case length and watch for neck splits and for the bright ring near the base, this last would indicate case head separation.

Love Life
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Lee collet crimp die and redding bump die will take care of things.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
When I have had cases split, 99% of the time it was the neck that split, so other than taking less effort I don't see any benefit in necking sizing only. If you own two guns of the same caliber it can sometimes be embarressing.

1Shirt
08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I am also one of those who believes in neck sizing using the Lee collet dies. Am also a strong believer in annealing rifle brass after 4-6 loadings. Neck sizing of moderate loaded cases will produce long case life. Particularly true for some cartridges with an emphasis on 303 Brit and 7.62x54R from my experience.
1Shirt!

Wayne Smith
08-08-2013, 09:51 PM
It really depends on the load you are using. If you are pushing velocity you will get fewer loads per case and need to bump them back sooner. If you are loading mid-range loads you may not need to ever bump them back.

Lloyd Smale
08-09-2013, 04:37 AM
never saw much accuracy advantage to doing it but it does increase brass life and makes loading easier as you dont have to lube cases or tumble off lube after sizing.

1Shirt
08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Words of wisdom Lloyd.
1Shirt!

texassako
08-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I really like using the Lee collet dies for neck sizing, and have modified mine quite a bit to get exactly what I want. They can take a little bit to get used to for some people.