PDA

View Full Version : deal or no deal ...?

Digger
08-07-2013, 11:28 PM
I simply cannot ignore a deal , if I need it or not ....
Found these on a Craigslist add amongst other items the gentleman had.
One lyman 45 , in good shape including the ratchet wrench.
Five sizers ,308,452,358,356 and 225
nine top punches (haven't looked at the #'s yet)
one lyman 311332 mold two cavity (new)
one set of lyman mold handles (new)

and the total was ...... $100.00
deal or no deal ? .. what say you ?

And it came home with me , somebody mentioned "casting addiction" ....

robpete
08-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Buy it, keep what you want, then sell the rest on here. That's what I'd do. That's a pretty square deal....for you!

Jupiter7
08-08-2013, 01:15 AM
If door #3 is better than that, your in for a big surprise. Buy it!

Miata Mike
08-08-2013, 01:17 AM
I would buy it. Handles are cool and dies are $23+ each. Free 45 sizer.

Jal5
08-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Wish I could find a deal like that, ya done good.

wcp4570
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Digger
What a deal. The size dies alone are worth the asking price. Everything looks to be in excellent condition, that is a great find. I look at Craigslist all the time and have never found any deals like that.

wcp

Digger
08-08-2013, 08:49 PM
These pieces came out from some older gentleman's collection ...
The individual that sold them to me stated he and his brother inherited a bunch of reloading items , all from another point in time ...
He had roughly twenty boxes of dies of various calibers , old brand boxes , some blank , some dies with names I have never heard of ...
Old brand boxes of winchester , hornady etc. live rounds , years old . ..... drawers full (my jaw hit the floor).
Fascinating to look at and stated to him he should open a museum ...very few people these days would appreciate what he had there.
With that , let me thro in another pic or two ..apologize as the pics were upright when I downloaded them .......:???:
here is one example ..
one clue to age also ,,,, look at the price !!!
Any one remember primers of this make ? , unopened pack but he said that in another the primers are divided by little wood strips.

By all this , I hope the mold is old enough to be of quality from days gone by compared to recent.

Smoke4320
08-08-2013, 09:07 PM
buy, buy, buy

Wayne Smith
08-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Buy as much as they will let you! If all that stuff has been stored in Nevada it's likely to still be in good shape. I'll bet those $.75 Peters primers go Bang!, too.

Digger
08-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Went out back to my shop .... now in the first pic , you see the mold sitting on a paper brochure that came with it , pulled it apart and it references back to the lyman's 44th reloading manual , about 1967 or so ...yes !
also it go's into sizing showing a diagram of the "45" being used , the recessed or scalloped cap type ... yes !
two clues and Went ahead and pulled it out of the taped paper wrapper , kinda felt like I was destroying a museum piece or something ... very nice , I think it has a little smoother taper to it than the one currently described on the lyman web page , more like a 299 by just a touch.
Time will tell only when I can get around to drop a boolit or two out of it ....
by the way , has anybody noticed the price on the can of 4198 ?

Eric H
08-09-2013, 01:58 AM
I am usaly the guy that gets to hear about all my buddys great deals but never stumble on them. Mostly because my to little tornados are so busy chewing up all my ammo. Its work ,cast,And reload. Its tough being a dad. All Jokes aside though. Its always good to find ones like these. Keep what you can use .Sell the rest and buy more cool stuff. it just helps to fund this Incurable addiction we all have here.

Digger
08-10-2013, 09:22 PM
The "45" still has I believe the original black gooey lube in it from back when .
Picked up a lyman luber a while back with the same lube in it .....
Does anybody know what the original lube consisted of ? ..

kmag
08-11-2013, 01:09 AM
Digger,
The black lube is probably old Lyman lube. It was black and came in a black and white box. Can't tell you what it consisted of but was a commercial lube made by Lyman. I used some back in the 60's it worked as good as any other lube that I could find at that time.

Digger
08-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the input there Kmag ... one more clue as to the "original" state of condition the luber is in.
Appreciate every ones advice so far ... just never know what pops up out there that other people don't think much of .

Digger
08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Delete second post here ... my bad.

Cherokee
08-11-2013, 07:27 PM
OP - you done good. I still have my old "45" and still use it some. As for the "old" stuff, a lot of it looks very familiar to me.

Digger
08-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah , my man cave is starting to look a little like a museum with the 45 luber , a meepos luber , and an original seaco 10 lb pot bottom pour that functions just fine.
I can appreciate someone who can Identify some of the older items there Cherokee.