PDA

View Full Version : Gov't lead

hagel
08-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Well I sure did appreciate the tip about the lead the government had up for auction in Ohio. I bid on all three lots. Didn't win a single one. It was a closed auction so I have no idea what they actually went for nor do I know how to find out.

Thompsoncustom
08-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Your welcome sir sorry you didn't win. best wishes to you in your business venture.

dbosman
08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Call and ask. Sale prices are public information.
http://www.govliquidation.com/c/contact.html

hagel
08-08-2013, 06:15 AM
Appreciate the info! I figured somebody on here had been down this road before. I'll check it out and see if I can get in a better position to bid on lead if any more comes up. That raises another point. Their descriptions are kinda screwy. Government speak uses english words in an entirely different way. Have any of you come up with terms for a search agent that work at catching lots of lead that they put up for auction pretty reliably?

dbosman
08-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Subscribe to the scrap metal notification.
http://www.govliquidation.com
Category Scrap Metal
Narrow your search to lead
Currently it goes to Out Of Stock and that page offers notifications options.
It's not perfect.

Love Life
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
You just have to keep checking, and check multiple areas on the .gov website. Sometimes you catch the crowd sleeping and can snatch win out from under their noses.

JeffinNZ
08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Ain't Guvmint business grand? You get the chance to bid on something so you can pay for it again. :-)

Pb Burner
08-09-2013, 08:28 AM
More WILL come up. I've been watching that site for 5 years or so, mostly looking for fired brass. There has been lead up for auction on and off for years. Keep searching the auctions, you'll find more. Finding it close to you would make it more desirable and that one was "local" to you. Hopefully that location had it once they may have more in the future. They have several Ohio locations.
Best of luck, don't give up!
Burner

dakotashooter2
08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Till the EPA tells them they can't sell it any more..................LOL I suspect one is probably bidding against some big businesses who use lead in their products..............

hagel
08-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Yep, considering where I live Louckborne is about as local as I'm going to get. I set up a couple of search agents one for there and another that should catch anything in Ohio. I'm not going anywhere so I'll definitely keep watching.

Just want to take a moment here to say how much I appreciate all the advice and help I've already gotten from everyone on the list. Kinda feels like a good place to hang out.

hagel
01-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Heads up, the Gov is auctioning off a small lot of lead in Washington State.

90,000 lbs. approx. Lead ballast scrap stored on 34 pallets. Scrap lead is located at Ft. Lewis, WA. Lead scrap may include but is not limited to bagged brick/sheet, approximate dimensions 14 inches long x 3.125 inches wide, 50-60 pounds each, most bricks are not full size, sheets, chips, shavings, and smaller pieces of various sizes and shapes. Lead is packed into flexible intermediate bulk containers (FIBC) placed on wooden pallets, which are included in the total weight of sale. FIBC containers are polypropylene bags rated at 6,000 lbs. capacity, could also include Lead brick, lead shot or poured lead. Lead is to be transported, handled and disposed of in accordance with all local, state, and federal regulations. GL WILL LOAD FLATBED TRUCK AND TRAILER ONLY, NO EXCEPTIONS. Contractor will provide transportation within 48 hours of notification. POC for sale is John Miller. (253)966-1430. Mutilation not required.

dlbarr
01-07-2015, 07:31 PM
yeah, wish I knew how to find out cost of transport over here...I'm about 230 miles east of there. Of course, I'm not going to use 90k lbs of lead ever, but would be great to get a group buy on that.

gpidaho
01-07-2015, 07:42 PM
What J. in N.Z. says. We bought it, they should issue each of us some! LOL GP

lwknight
01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
yeah, wish I knew how to find out cost of transport over here...I'm about 230 miles east of there. Of course, I'm not going to use 90k lbs of lead ever, but would be great to get a group buy on that.
Normally , about $2.00 per mile more-less
Most trucks payload is limited to around 45,000 pounds depending on the actual tractor and trailer weight.

hagel
01-08-2015, 07:25 AM
$2.00 per mile is a pretty good deal. The shipping is why this deal won't work for me. I live about 2562 miles from Ft Lewis.