PDA

View Full Version : Casting without gas or electricity

Animal
08-07-2013, 07:07 PM
How many of you perform your casting over a wood/charcoal fire? How has this worked for you? I ask because I like the idea of casting/reloading "off the grid".

firefly1957
08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
I use a Coleman stove and an iron pot so i could use wood i think you would be best building a setup to get most of the heat to the pot . It is possible to use alcohol in some gas stoves also it works well in a Coleman No. 530 to cook . Good luck with your adventure you might look at some historical articles for help on this.

GabbyM
08-07-2013, 09:22 PM
I would look into designs for building small forges. Something with your stainless steel pot setting on top of a fire box. Probably made from fire brick.

jmort
08-07-2013, 09:27 PM
It really does not take that much to get to 700 degrees. I think the forge is over kill. There are a couple set-ups in another thread that is going right now.

Animal
08-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I made several ingots over a small fire in the back yard. That was my first casting experience and I haven't done anything since. It was primitive, cumbersome and crude, but I realized that the technology wasn't necessary, but that it probably makes it a lot easier to achieve the results that you want in a timely manor. I was just curious to see if there was a sect of castors that preferred traditional methods. It's always nice to not rely on the grid.

dbosman
08-07-2013, 09:38 PM
A small rocket stove should work well. A Dakota fire hole should work.
Supporting the pot of metal would be the only issue.

shadowcaster
08-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Melting and casting lead over an open fire has been done for a long time, it's just that these days it's not as convenient. There are many of us interested in the traditional ways but, I usually don't practice them much at home. I want to be in the woods some place to get the true feel.

There are some threads on wood fired smelters if you use the search feature. I haven't done it yet, but I designed and made my bottom pour pot it so I could easily convert to wood fired if I wanted.

Shad

waksupi
08-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Works just fine.
One of the competitions we had with muzzle loaders involved casting over a fire. We had to fire three shots into a piece of log. Then, split the chunk, and get the balls back. Next thing was to light a fire with flint and steel. Melt the fired boolits, mold new ones, and fire one shot. Winning time was right on twenty and one half minutes.

Animal
08-08-2013, 08:26 AM
A small rocket stove should work well. A Dakota fire hole should work.
Supporting the pot of metal would be the only issue.

I'm really digging the Rocket Stove concept. I've been wanting something like that in my backyard.

shadowcaster
08-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm really digging the Rocket Stove concept. I've been wanting something like that in my backyard.

You'll have to keep your eye on temperature though. Don't want any zincers during the smelt or lose any tin through oxidation.

Shad

ReloaderFred
08-08-2013, 12:28 PM
The early pioneers did it all the time. The Lewis & Clark expedition had containers made of lead that contained powder. Each lead container was just enough lead to cast bullets for the amount of powder inside. It was really pretty smart, since it eliminated the necessity of carrying excess baggage........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Fishman
08-08-2013, 10:47 PM
That is pretty impressive. I may have to try that.

Works just fine.
One of the competitions we had with muzzle loaders involved casting over a fire. We had to fire three shots into a piece of log. Then, split the chunk, and get the balls back. Next thing was to light a fire with flint and steel. Melt the fired boolits, mold new ones, and fire one shot. Winning time was right on twenty and one half minutes.

Gliden07
08-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Quick search on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K5xL6Y9hZEc

Gliden07
08-08-2013, 10:58 PM
It really does not take that much to get to 700 degrees. I think the forge is over kill. There are a couple set-ups in another thread that is going right now.

The forge would be over kill but it would melt the lead and you could sill use it as a forge!! Kill 2 birds with one stone!!

Aultman1919
08-09-2013, 12:25 AM
I don't have much to add to most post on here, but do a lot of reading. This thread cought my eye and I do this, I have a smithy and melt all my W.W. on the forge in a castiron pot. the first 5 runs of Boolets were made this way till I got my lyman big dipper(that I love). This way works well, but there is no sitting down on the job, that is the down side. If you forge much you know how to control the temp and fire as needed.

WILCO
08-09-2013, 08:39 AM
How many of you perform your casting over a wood/charcoal fire?

I haven't done it.

barrabruce
08-09-2013, 09:58 AM
I've made a six inch diameter "rivet forge" (zip stove) that I use for camping. (haven't chopped wood for many years now) :)
I collect the coals from others fires and burn them to cook with. No doubt could cast over it if needed.

I use a kero stove usually thou for casting.
2500 btu's will boil a litre of water in around 5 minutes.
1800 btu's coleman fuel 1 Litre 7.5 minutes
Gas burner about the same as a coleman burner. Give or take.

Rivet forge full blast 3.5 minutes but mostly around 7-10 minutes for 1 ltre.

It does need adding more fuel thou and tending time to time for longer sessions thou.

Just another way!!!

Hope it helps.

KYCaster
08-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Works just fine.

:shock: Did you burn your fingers loading that newly cast ball?

Melting lead with a wood fire is really no big deal. It doesn't take any special kind of forge or rocket furnace. Just make your fire box as small as possible while providing support for the pot and still have easy access to add fuel.

My current set up consists of a grate laid across cinder blocks. Six 8 X 8 X 16 blocks stacked two high on three sides with the fourth side open to feed the fire. 100 lbs. of WW in a pot cut from a propane cylinder takes about an hour and a half, start to finish. A standard 4 ft. X 4 ft. light weight pallet provides more than enough fuel for the job (they're free for the asking most anywhere).

The hard part is learning how to regulate the temperature. Not hard to get the hang of it, but takes a few tries to get comfortable with it.

Casting requires a bit finer temp. control than rendering WW, but with a little practice, it's not all that difficult.

Don't be afraid to give it a try.

Jerry