PDA

View Full Version : Tendonitis Sucks!!!

lksmith
08-06-2013, 10:24 PM
About a month ago I started having pains in my right shoulder, not entirely new since I have torn my rotator cuff in college twice within a year (didn't know when to stop) and both times rehab and steroids healed the tears but due to the rehab am a bit musclebound in that shoulder.
I would be sitting at my desk and get a pain that felt like being stabbed or shot. Finally went to the doctor and they said tendonitis. I'm too young for that! I thought it was only old folks that got it!
A round of steroids and naproxen and it felt better until this weekend (1 week after I finished the steroids) and now I'm using
Icy hot, solanpas, Absorbine and theragesic to help. Like Garth Brooks sang "I'm much too young to feel this dang old)

deep creek
08-07-2013, 12:45 AM
try tumeric its a kitchen spice anti inflamitory it has done wonders for me when i get tendonitis. id just take a tsp. once a day tastes like **** but really works.

nicholst55
08-07-2013, 12:49 AM
I had tendinitis in my right ankle so bad that I had trouble even limping around. My doc sent me to physical therapy, and they had me squared away after just a few weeks. I'd discuss therapy with my doctor if I were you.

smokeywolf
08-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Tendonitis in both arms and right ankle. The physical therapy is a good thing to try.
Started in with the tendonitis in my arms when I was 42. Woke up the tendonitis in my ankle recently, doing some work on the roof. Right ankle is so blown up I can't see the ankle bone anymore. Short of PT, wraps, cold packs and Ibuprofen works for me.

jaysouth
08-07-2013, 01:21 AM
I suffer a number of degenerative joint diseases(osteoarthritis, bursitis, epicondolitis(radial and medial) and tendonitis. There is no magic cure but I find that walking 30-45 minutes a day provides more relief than chemicals. I was on opiates and steroids but get more relief from walking. It allows me to engage in more vigorous exercise such as swing a kettlebell and weights.

waksupi
08-07-2013, 02:05 AM
I also use tumeric, although I incorporate it in cooking, rather than taking it straight. Think herbal for ailments.

Lefty SRH
08-07-2013, 05:21 AM
I have it in my right arm around the elbow man it really hurts sometimes. I shook my preachers hand one moring at church and I just grit my teeth it hurt so bad.

gbrown
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I've had tendonitus several time in my life. Used to, at the beginning of baseball season, when getting the oldest grandson ready, my right shoulder would feel like it was falling apart. Went away after a while. Ipuprofen w/NSAID seems to work well with me. Doesn't bother my stomache. I had foot surgery on my right foot about 13 years ago, and had to wear one of those stupid shoes that did not allow the foot to flex. When I went back to regular shoes, after a week, the tendonitus hit. Lasted about 2 months. No rhyme nor reason when it would hit. Haven't had any in the last few years, even though I am now working with the 10 yoa at baseball.

crowbuster
08-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Waksupi is on the money, cherry powder or cherry juice has helped me for joint inflamation, Msm powder as well. Lots of natural stuff out there. Beware over the counter anti inflamatories will rot your innards. Not if, when.

mold maker
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
All those pains that end with "itis" are a regular part of later life. I guess it's the price we pay for the things we shouldn't have done, when to young (stupid) to heed our parents, and grandparents. When I'm standing, I'm looking for a place to sit. When seated I see to much, that needs to be done standing. Both hurt, and the meds only mask the pain long enough for me to do something, that makes it worse.
Getting old is He!!
Good luck with the rubs and pain killers. If I could exercise (walk), I wouldn't need them. All the doc says is loose weight, but the only exercise I get is eating, and even that hurts my naked guns.
Hey, I've lived a great life, and the pains are reminders of the fun I had. Just grin and bare it.

08-07-2013, 03:45 PM
A copper bracelet works for me.

bart55
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM
funny I am reading this and my shoulder is on fire, was going to go out and shoot the big sharps but I think that's going to have to wait, maybe just some low recoil plinkers in the krag .A friend of mine swears by turmeric, never paid much attention to him but what or how much do you take .So far today I have taken alieve rubbed the menthol on and taken some rx pain killers but man nothing is touching it . It all started when I separated my shoulder during the last deer season. Went down with a full Alice pack on in some blowdowns and it was like somebody went and wrung me out to dry . comes and goes but today is a bad one. Man I sound like an old whiner sixty three isn't that old .Today it feels it.

Rick N Bama
08-07-2013, 05:35 PM
About a month ago I started having pains in my right shoulder, not entirely new since I have torn my rotator cuff in college twice within a year (didn't know when to stop) and both times rehab and steroids healed the tears but due to the rehab am a bit musclebound in that shoulder.
I would be sitting at my desk and get a pain that felt like being stabbed or shot. Finally went to the doctor and they said tendonitis. I'm too young for that! I thought it was only old folks that got it!
A round of steroids and naproxen and it felt better until this weekend (1 week after I finished the steroids) and now I'm using
Icy hot, solanpas, Absorbine and theragesic to help. Like Garth Brooks sang "I'm much too young to feel this dang old)

What type work do you do? Is it possible that you're developing Carpal Tunnel?

Rick

lksmith
08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
What type work do you do? Is it possible that you're developing Carpal Tunnel?

Rick

I'm a sr. buyer (and whatever my boss asks me to do) for a lubricant manufacturer. I don't think it's carpal tunnel since the pain is confined to my shoulder (mostly front part).
I was trying to start my mower a few weeks ago and on the second pull I got a pain in my shoulder so bad it took me to my knees and I thought I had been shot. I'll certainly try the cherry and turmeric, maybe some cinnamon and ginger too. 28 is too young to have this stuff!

gbrown
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
funny I am reading this and my shoulder is on fire, was going to go out and shoot the big sharps but I think that's going to have to wait, maybe just some low recoil plinkers in the krag .A friend of mine swears by turmeric, never paid much attention to him but what or how much do you take .So far today I have taken alieve rubbed the menthol on and taken some rx pain killers but man nothing is touching it . It all started when I separated my shoulder during the last deer season. Went down with a full Alice pack on in some blowdowns and it was like somebody went and wrung me out to dry . comes and goes but today is a bad one. Man I sound like an old whiner sixty three isn't that old .Today it feels it.

You seen a doc and gotten a diagnosis? Sounds like it could be a little more than tendonitis. My tendonitis just came and went, at its own discretion. I could start lawnmowers, lift stuff and everything else when it wasn't around, when it popped up, it didn't matter what you did, it just hurt.

smokeywolf
08-07-2013, 08:53 PM
OK, now I'm going to have to try the turmeric. While we're on this subject, anybody have a suggestion for torn cartilage in the hip. Tore the right one to shreds about 7 years ago. Was on crutches for nearly 4 months. Took about 10 months in total to heal. Now it seems I've done the left one.

Like mold maker, I was not kind to my body when I was a youngster. At age 13 I was scuba diving. At age 16, I hopped on my Honda 350 and took a three week, 3 thousand mile trip from SoCal up to Vancouver B.C. with a side trip to Hungry Horse, Montana.

Wasn't much into ball sports, but did a lot of weight lifting, gymnastics, track, bicycling, hiking & camping. I think the weightlifting ruined my shoulders and the track ruined my knees and hips.

Because my muscles are still as good as they were when I was young, I frequently try to use them like I did when I was young, forgetting that my bones and joints just won't tolerate it anymore.

smokeywolf

lksmith
08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
You seen a doc and gotten a diagnosis? Sounds like it could be a little more than tendonitis. My tendonitis just came and went, at its own discretion. I could start lawnmowers, lift stuff and everything else when it wasn't around, when it popped up, it didn't matter what you did, it just hurt.

That's what the doc said. She ruled out Rotator cuff since I have pretty good range of motion. She said that if i didn't have a marked improvement within 2wks with the steroids and naproxen to come back for MRI. While I was on the steroids, I had very little pain. She offered to give me a cortisone shot, and I told her NO WAY, since I had a cortisone/kenalog shot in the muscle one of the time I hurt my shoulder and it made it hurt worse than the torn muscle.
I'm pretty sure my heavy weight (300#+ on barbell lifts and 100#+ on dumbbells) lifting and sports, in High school and college had something to do with it. The thing that confuses me is that the pain started out of the blue when I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

lksmith
08-07-2013, 10:19 PM

Because my muscles are still as good as they were when I was young, I frequently try to use them like I did when I was young, forgetting that my bones and joints just won't tolerate it anymore.

smokeywolf

My bones are good, I just have to remember that I don't have the strength of 20 men anymore:-(

MaryB
08-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Torn rotor cuff in the right shoulder twice, chronic bursitis/tendonitis since then. 80% tear on the left too that I never bothered to fix because surgery on the right didn't do squat.

shooter93
08-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I've been a builder for 50 years and had very nasty chronic tendonitis in the elbows for 30 of those. I have never found a single treatment that has workd but since I'm constantly stressing them I guess it's just something I have to live with.

curdog
08-08-2013, 06:13 PM
A shot of apple cider vinegar in the morning takes care of all my aches and pains.

lksmith
08-08-2013, 10:20 PM
A shot of apple cider vinegar in the morning takes care of all my aches and pains.
wonder if apple cider/applewine would have the same effect?

Firebricker
08-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Don't know if you have tried it but there is a product called Bio-Freeze and some others like that are mainly just menthol. It works good on the arthritis in my shoulder and knee. I'm not sure on tendentious but worth a try. FB

MaryB
08-10-2013, 02:20 AM
One thing that did help mine when I was still working (long story, my back is a total mess) was e-stim where they wire you up and exercise the muscles with electrical impulses. Used to put me to sleep doing it.

PS Paul
08-10-2013, 02:36 AM
I got tendonitis in my right elbow area two years ago after some vigorous bass-fishing outings...... I had to stop playing guitar, fishing AND shooting revolvers for about three months.

It healed up, but somewhere during that time, I actually watched a Bill Dance episode where he talked about the same type of fishing injury and showed the audience a few simple stretches of the hand, forearm and wrist muscles to prevent the same injury.

Now, I do those same stretches before fishing/casting/shooting/playing guitar/carpentry and so on. Works like a charm and no more tendonitis issues. Thank God AND Bill Dance!!

I feel for you, LK. I know how much it hurts and how bad it sucks.

Marvin S
08-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I doubt the tears ever healed as my surgeon says they wont. The only way to fix them is surgery. That is to not say they will be like new after the operation but you NEED to learn to use them in a way that does not damage them. Dont lift things from a shelf off to the side. Dont push heavy doors open without the upper arm very close to the body. These are just a few that may prevent a shoulder replacement.