PDA

View Full Version : Old Army Re-Bore

Potsy
08-06-2013, 07:35 PM
I found a Ruger Old Army for sale today. Always kinda wanted one then they went sky high. This one is priced VERY reasonably, the only problem is, the gun is kinda rough (but the action is smooth), the bigger problem is, the bore is in bad shape (rust).
Does anybody re-bore these using the existing barrel and cylinder. I know Dave Clements will replace the barrel and build a 5 shot .50 cal. cylinder for $1200, but that is way more than I wanted to go on this project.
I'm thinking bored out to .475 using the existing barrel and cylinder, if that's even possible.
Ideas?

Outpost75
08-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Have you contacted Ruger and asked if they could rebarrel it? The barrel is the same as a .45 Blackhawk, and should be an easy fix.

Nobade
08-06-2013, 09:40 PM
If it were mine I would either rebarrel or reline the existing one. That way you don't need a custom ball mould also.

-Nobade

mooman76
08-06-2013, 11:54 PM
duplicate post

mooman76
08-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Have you thought about fire lapping the bore and then maybe just going to a larger size ball?

Potsy
08-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Not real sure how well lapping would work. Theres a quarter inch wide strip in the bore that's REAL dark and scaly looking.
Think I'll send Ruger an email and see if they'd be interested in sticking a new tube in it for a nominal fee.
If they'll do it pretty reasonable, I may try to buy it and give it a new lease on life.

nicholst55
08-07-2013, 01:00 AM
I don't think Dave Clements does the .50 conversions on those any more. I could be mistaken, but I believe he quit doing them. I think I'd see about having the bore lined, if Ruger can't rebarrel it.

Maven
08-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Potsy, Have you telephoned Ruger about this? The reason I ask is that I called them last week about a higher front sight for the ROA and was told that parts for same are becoming scarce at the very least.

alamogunr
08-07-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't think Dave Clements does the .50 conversions on those any more. I could be mistaken, but I believe he quit doing them. I think I'd see about having the bore lined, if Ruger can't rebarrel it.

I think Clements only did the conversion on the stainless guns.

mooman76
08-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Not real sure how well lapping would work. Theres a quarter inch wide strip in the bore that's REAL dark and scaly looking.
Think I'll send Ruger an email and see if they'd be interested in sticking a new tube in it for a nominal fee.
If they'll do it pretty reasonable, I may try to buy it and give it a new lease on life.

It would only cost a little effort to try and if it don't work then you move on.

greenmntranger
08-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Dave is doing them but only if he has orders =4 or more at a time. Currently booking 2014 work ( from his website)

Potsy
08-14-2013, 10:30 PM
There were some of you who wanted to know how this story ended, so I thought I'd let everyone know.
I emailed Ruger, and got a reply that I'd need to send the gun in so they could do an estimate. I guess I don't blame them for being careful, but being as how I don't own the pistol (it's on a dealers shelf, 350 miles away) that's kinda tough to do.
Oh well, maybe someday I'll run up on one in better shape.
In the meantime, I can always find some other "need"........