PDA

View Full Version : Old bottle Lee Liquid Alox

nitroproof
10-13-2007, 10:45 AM
I've recently started casting my first ever bevel base boolits (Lee .379-250-RF).

My Lachmiller lube/sizer leaves a lot of lube on the base. I have a bottle of LLA that has to be ten years old. I tired it the other day, it was so thick I wouldn't squeeze through the nozzle. I took the cap off and just squeezed a glob into the butter tub and tumble lubed away. It dried over night so it seems to still have the "volitiles" (?!?) in it. I'll buy a new bottle at the firest opportunity.

Meanwhile... Is this stuff still good or has it expired?

Dale53
10-13-2007, 10:48 AM
You can thin it to suit with mineral spirits. The volatiles (mineral spirits) have just evaporated over the years. Easy fix. Many on here report that they normally thin the "as issued" stuff before using as they prefer it that way.

Dale53

mooman76
10-13-2007, 12:15 PM
You can also heat it in some hot water or real carefully in the micro and that will thin it a bit til it cools. That will make it easier to add and dilute with the mineral spirits!

wiljen
10-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Oderless Mineral spirits are the solvent used to make LLA. gently warming it so it liquifies, then add about 1 TBSP of spirits per bottle and shaking/stirring well as it cools will reconstitute the stuff pretty quickly.

I have gotten so I scrape the excess off my drying board into a small tupperware and re-heat/ add solvent when I get a jar full. You'd be amazed at how many times you can reuse that stuff if you are cheap enough.

nitroproof
10-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys! I'll do that. :bigsmyl2:

Ranch Dog
10-15-2007, 06:10 AM
You'd be amazed at how many times you can reuse that stuff if you are cheap enough.

Well said! I thin each new bottle by filling the air space with mineral spirits. After I collect the dried bullets off the waxed paper, I use a putty knife to scrape the drippings off the paper and reuse it. It is amazing how far a bottle of the stuff will go if you reuse it!

jonk
10-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I never use the nozzle; it always clogs. I unscrew the lid every time.

ssn vet
10-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by wiljen
You'd be amazed at how many times you can reuse that stuff if you are cheap enough.

Man! You guys are talkin' my language :drinks:

Ricochet
10-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Squeezing a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox with a clogged nozzle will eventually produce an interesting surprise as the bottle bursts and blows out sticky brown glop in your hand and/or on your clothes. Especially when it's cool in your casting room and the plastic stiffens up.

EMC45
10-17-2007, 08:30 AM
I just ream the nozzle with a paper clip, because it is always clogged!

Ricochet
10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I do, too, but it doesn't always flow easily anyway.