PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Day Casting

Rick N Bama
08-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Do you find that casting is better/easier on a rainy day? It seems to work some better for me so while it's coming down I have the pot heating to cast up a supply of the RCBS 38-150SWCs. I'm almost out and it has became my favorite boolit in the Smith 686 loaded with a moderate charge of Blue Dot, some 9.8grs if memory serves me right.

Rick

Walter Laich
08-06-2013, 02:21 PM
I like that too. Feel like I'm doing something constructive since I can't be out tromping around the back-forty

detox
08-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I know what you mean. Maybe its the cooler temps?

waco
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
This has been brought up before. Something to do with the moisture in the are affects the outcome of the boolits, I'm my memory serves.

Rick N Bama
08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Waco in my very weak memory I thought I remembered something being said about casting on rainy days. With my back problems & the Arthritis in my hands my casting sessions are very short. This one only netted me 66 keepers before I had to shut down.

Rick

waco
08-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Rick N Bama
08-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Sorry to hear that.

It goes with getting old & decrepit I guess :)

Rick

williamwaco
08-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I LOVE casting on the back porch when there is a gentle rain falling.

I get more, better, bullets with fewer defects, in less time and don't get tired.

Taylor
08-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure about all that,but like Walter said,something constructive to on a nasty day.

cainttype
08-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Hopefully any upstarts realize that rainy day casting has to be under good cover. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone possessing equipment and no experience, read the forum and proceeded to melt lead where the splash of a water droplet could seriously degrade their day.

Rick N Bama
08-09-2013, 04:44 AM
Hopefully any upstarts realize that rainy day casting has to be under good cover. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone possessing equipment and no experience, read the forum and proceeded to melt lead where the splash of a water droplet could seriously degrade their day.

I think it would go without saying that it might not be too wise to do the casting out in the rain, however, I've never had a drop of water cause any problems. I can see where a downpour might, which the least is cooling the melt down to a point of not being able to get the lead to flow. I don't know if it would cause a visit from the Tinsel Fairy or not.

Rick