PDA

View Full Version : When do you say enough ?

Johnch
08-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I an relatively new here , but I have casted for years .
I have 12-14 single and double molds .
I am now buying my second Group buy mold.
I know I have some big gaps in my mold selection , $$ is a factor [smilie=b:

How many molds is enough ?

I hope to add quite a few more
And I wish I started posting earlyer to get in on a few of the group buys I see listed when I did some searching

Johnch

Junior1942
08-18-2005, 09:56 PM
I have around 30, and I need more. . . .

buck1
08-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Never! Any mould you have, as long as it is cared for,will give you that boolit for a loooong time!
So get all you can wile you can, They tend to stop making them after a wile. They dont spoil or rust if stored well. They do go up in value, so think of any you dont need as trading stock for a latter date! .....buck

waksupi
08-18-2005, 11:06 PM
John, I've wondered that, myself. What I am heading for, is one superior hunting and accuracy bullet for each bore size. Of course, different rifles may have different requirements to meet those standards. For handguns, pretty much the same applies, the most stopping power, with reliable function.

So, the final answer of how many do you need?

It's just like firearms.

One.

Of each design!

nvbirdman
08-18-2005, 11:41 PM
The next one will always be better than the current one.

harley45
08-18-2005, 11:44 PM
I seem to be obsessed with molds for my .45 ACP guns this year I've bought about 10 and there are still more I want to try. So I guess I can't say I know when to say when.

JohnH
08-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Enough????? What the hell is that? I got molds for guns I no longer own and one for a gun I have never owned. I'm waiting for it to sprout a 25-20 or 25-35.

NVcurmudgeon
08-19-2005, 12:27 AM
To (roughly) quote Winston Churchill, "Never, never, never, never, never, give up buying moulds."

Jumptrap
08-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Well, stop and think about it for a minute.

9 times out of 10, you'll reach for one particular mould in a certain caliber when trying out a new gun....because it is a proven performer. If not it, then you have another that generally works well. The rest....well.....the mostly draw dust.

I have too many.....maybe 75 and that is down from close to 100. Honest to god, who needs 75 moulds! I have over 60 guns...who needs that many? I think it's great that I CAN have them and can buy all I want...that isn't the point. It's just a pointless investment in gluttony! I have decided that i am going to thin the ranks..pick out 2 or 3 mould for each caliber I shoot....and maybe just 1! Then, dump the others and use the money for something else. i have 5 lubers.....why?! Two are mounted the others are squirreled away. Two Dillon presses, one turret, and half a dozen single stage units. There are enough gaschecks in every caliber I shoot, to last 40 years. maybe 2 tons of wheelweights waiting to be rendered..besides those already in ingots. Brass out the yazoo.

Fellers there comes a time when one must face their obsessions and deal with them. 3 of the 5 marlin 30-30's are leaving...that leaves one for me and the baby boy...done gave one each to the oldest and son in law....the list goes on and on. Me thinks it is enough to have one mould design and one back up per caliber and let it go. can you imagine having 50-60 cars?!

crazy mark
08-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Never too many. Way past 250 moulds, way past 70 guns and 4 vehicles. Never have too many just not enough room. Mark

Wayne Smith
08-19-2005, 07:32 AM
As many as I can. The limiting factors are space and money, balanced with buying guns and other shooting projects. It can be quite a dance!

7br
08-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Why ask why? One of my co-workers is building a kit plane. The Experimental Aircraft Association teamed him up with a mentor. My co-worker asked the mentor if he ever calculated the cost of ownership versus renting. The mentor said "Hell no, why would I do something stupid and ruin a good thing". Co-Worker did some preliminary figures and then dropped the calculations.

sundog
08-19-2005, 09:29 AM
'Enough' is kinda like 'Never' and "Always'. Kinda backs ya into a corner. There may be a very good reason why SWMBO never goes in the shop out in the barn.... And for the most part, not too many are invited. On the short list is SILs (only on ocassion), grandsons, and Felix. WWs, tin, solder, and lino are included when talking about 'enough'. Brethren, are there enough stars in the sky? sundog

bdoyle
08-19-2005, 09:50 AM
A few facts in life:

You can't have too much money, too much horsepower or too many moulds.

Just trying to keep up...
Brian

1Shirt
08-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Like John H. I have a couple of molds that I am waiting for a rifle or two to appear so that I can cast and load for them. Counting round ball and minie ball molds from when I was shooting mostly front stuffers, have about 35+ and counting. Mostly Lyman, a couple of OHAS, a few RCBS, and probably half dozen Lees. They are like women, some great and easy to work with, some just a little contankerous, and some just plain mizerable to get broken in. This is particularly ture of the pretty little ones.
1Shirt!

Johnch
08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Just what I was afraid of .

[smilie=l: More additive than drugs , almost as additive as SEX [smilie=l:

Johnch

plasma
08-19-2005, 03:07 PM
moulds are like C&R guns - just never enough. always one more needed.

BlueMoon
08-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Ditto to what others have said. Money is a thing with me also but I have a Saeco mold for a 7-30 waters that I'll probably never find. Endless cycle of guns, molds, then lead or ww's.

Bill

357tex
08-19-2005, 04:38 PM
You guys are a bad influence on me.I cast and shot for 35 years with just 5 molds.And only one of them for rifle it has been loaded in 30 06,308 30 30and latly in 7.62x54 rim.But you folks have me lusting after another mold,or two maybe 3,perhaps more just to see how they work.What do you all suggest for a 7.62x54 bore 311.What lee mold would be best.I have lyman 311466 150gr. :D

David R
08-19-2005, 04:57 PM
The best part is probably most of us started casting to SAVE money. I did. I now have 7 30 cal molds and 3 30 cal guns. Go figure.

I do only have one 44 cal mold and that it all I will ever need. 255 grain gas check. Well, Its only 2 cavity.................

David

beagle
08-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Never too many moulds. Think it's kind of a sickness. I'm like Mark, I have over 200 and there's always "just one more, honey"./beagle

HickoryCreek
08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Well, stop and think about it for a minute.

9 times out of 10, you'll reach for one particular mould in a certain caliber when trying out a new gun....because it is a proven performer. If not it, then you have another that generally works well. The rest....well.....the mostly draw dust.

I have too many.....maybe 75 and that is down from close to 100. Honest to god, who needs 75 moulds! I have over 60 guns...who needs that many? I think it's great that I CAN have them and can buy all I want...that isn't the point. It's just a pointless investment in gluttony! I have decided that i am going to thin the ranks..pick out 2 or 3 mould for each caliber I shoot....and maybe just 1! Then, dump the others and use the money for something else. i have 5 lubers.....why?! Two are mounted the others are squirreled away. Two Dillon presses, one turret, and half a dozen single stage units. There are enough gaschecks in every caliber I shoot, to last 40 years. maybe 2 tons of wheelweights waiting to be rendered..besides those already in ingots. Brass out the yazoo.

Fellers there comes a time when one must face their obsessions and deal with them. 3 of the 5 marlin 30-30's are leaving...that leaves one for me and the baby boy...done gave one each to the oldest and son in law....the list goes on and on. Me thinks it is enough to have one mould design and one back up per caliber and let it go. can you imagine having 50-60 cars?!

I will be more than happy to take some of your molds or guns or lubers off of your hands. It really is terrible that you have that many. I think you should give them to me. I won't even charge you for taking them off your hands. :mrgreen:

JohnH
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
The best part is probably most of us started casting to SAVE money. I did. I now have 7 30 cal molds and 3 30 cal guns. Go figure.

I do only have one 44 cal mold and that it all I will ever need. 255 grain gas check. Well, Its only 2 cavity.................

David

SAVE!??!???!!??? There you people go again with them big fancy four letter words. Next thing you know SWMBO will look over here and think my shoestring budget is out of control and I'll be reduced to using the cotton ball from aspirin bottles for earplugs.

Save????? One doesn't begin casting to SAVE money, one begins casting to have another hole in the pocket through which to pour hardearned cash for frivolous things. Waht else does one do when the rifle don't shoot quite as well as desired, but go and buy another mold.

Save???? I mean it's alright here guys, but don't be speaking like that where my wife can hear you.....:)

waksupi
08-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Ever heard the one, that a boat is a hole in the water, into which you pour money? Bullet molds are the same, only on SOMEWHAT a smaller scale.

Bret4207
08-20-2005, 07:03 AM
My relativly large mould and gun collection was one day questioned by SWMBO. I asked how mant sweaters and shoes one required. I also pointed out I never threw away any moulds, unlike the sweaters and shoes I was constantly hauling to the Salvation Army. Boxes of 'em. 'Nuff said, never questioned me again. Tractors though.... that another subject entirely.