PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on bullets, brass and guns

orisolo
08-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I spoke with a friend today who noticed that i have engraving machine.
(I have a small online business for computerized jewelry engraving).

He suggest that there might be interest in the "Gun Community" for small engraving of initials, sentences, engraving on brass or the bullet itself.

I can not make those beautiful hand engraving on the whole gun like few master artist do.

I wonder if there is an interest in such a service.
Thanks for the input.

Hamish
08-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Prepare to be swamped.

2wheelDuke
08-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Make up some samples to show us what you can do. I'm thinking some simple text on the side of a piece of brass would look great for the dummies on that cartridge board project that I've been talking about.

Adam10mm
08-06-2013, 02:25 AM
One idea for marketing is for the casings of the firing salute for veteran funerals. I still have the .30-'06 shell casings from my grandfather's funeral (WWI and WWII veteran) in 1994 that I engraved with his name, birth date and death date (30 Jan 1895 - 4 May 1994).

orisolo
08-06-2013, 02:31 AM
I will make samples tomorrow and upload the pictures.

Thanks for the Feedback

orisolo
08-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Interesting idea.
I would need to think how to go about it.
Thank you

orisolo
08-06-2013, 02:39 AM
You can see different sample of the jewelry I sell.
This will give you an idea of the engraving machine capability.

http://www.lovers-jewelry.com/

Right now i can engrave lines on the brass but if there is a market i need to buy an attachment that would allow me to engrave all around it in 360.

Its a pen and bottle attachment that i think would work just fine for brass.
I can also engrave the side or the top of FT bullets.

I thought that a bio hazard or a Skull engraved on the flat top would be cool.
I need to see if its not too small maybe it would be big enough on a 45 ACP and larger maybe 38spl.
Just a thought..

orisolo
08-07-2013, 02:48 AM
OK, i engraved a brass case today.
Wasn't sure what to write on it...
Ill work on something nicer tomorrow but this should show the ability.

Echo
08-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Hmmm - could you engrave the end of a flat-nose plug for a HP mold? Like with a skull? Then the boolits cast with that mold would have a skull proud on the nose. Maybe just the thing for 45 defense loads.
If so, again be prepared for a deluge. I would send a plug in a heartbeat...

lostchild0
08-07-2013, 09:48 AM
perfect for marking dummy rounds with bullet type and weight for settihg dies

Blacksmith
08-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Depends on the cost. What kind of pricing were you thinking about?

orisolo
08-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Depends on the cost. What kind of pricing were you thinking about?

I was thinking about $10 for the cases like above.
Depend on what is needed and the setup time.

orisolo
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Hmmm - could you engrave the end of a flat-nose plug for a HP mold? Like with a skull? Then the boolits cast with that mold would have a skull proud on the nose. Maybe just the thing for 45 defense loads.
If so, again be prepared for a deluge. I would send a plug in a heartbeat...

Im not sure, are you talking about a plug style like the one in the picture?

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/pictures/standard-hp-molds/Lyman548657-stand_pic791.jpg

Echo
08-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Im not sure, are you talking about a plug style like the one in the picture?

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/pictures/standard-hp-molds/Lyman548657-stand_pic791.jpg

Here is a picture of a plug from my MP 45 4-banger. The battery is there for size comparison.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-07-2013, 06:44 PM
how about inside the cavity of a aluminum boolit mold ?
Let's say on the flat of the point of a 44 cal Lee 310gr. RF

Gliden07
08-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Call Obummer or the rest of the Anti's I'm sure they would love this!! :kidding:

Hi Guys,

I spoke with a friend today who noticed that i have engraving machine.
(I have a small online business for computerized jewelry engraving).

He suggest that there might be interest in the "Gun Community" for small engraving of initials, sentences, engraving on brass or the bullet itself.

I can not make those beautiful hand engraving on the whole gun like few master artist do.

I wonder if there is an interest in such a service.
Thanks for the input.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-07-2013, 09:10 PM
I encourage you to pursue your idea orisolo. I believe it has many possibilities.

orisolo
08-07-2013, 11:19 PM
I encourage you to pursue your idea orisolo. I believe it has many possibilities.

Thanks, I'm going for it.

orisolo
08-07-2013, 11:22 PM
OK, I did today a Sig pistol.
I think it came up really nice.

The engraved name is a company name of my friend
The Pistol is a collector Sig.

1 picture = 1000 words so here they are.
Let me know what you think.

orisolo
08-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Tomorrow he wish to-do a S&W 9mm and gift it to his nephew.
So ill post the images of the S&W tomorrow.

Bzcraig
08-07-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm sure this would work out for you profit wise in a group buy format

orisolo
08-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm sure this would work out for you profit wise in a group buy format

Interesting thought.
I never thought about it.

How would you do it?
Make a group buy and have everyone interested send their pistol part with the engraving they like?
I'm not sure how to form it, but it sound interesting idea.
Any suggestion will be welcomed
Thanks,

orisolo
08-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Here is a picture of a plug from my MP 45 4-banger. The battery is there for size comparison.

I think i can do it.
I'm not sure how it would come out after casting, the engraving is only few thousand deep and im not sure it will sow in casting. It seams as it would be more milling then engraving in-order to remove enough material to make it deep.
You would need to use hard lead to get good results if the lead is to soft the details will not come out properly.

I think i can engrave it over and over to make it deeper.
Can you tell me what is the Dia of the plug. Ill try to find a rod about the same size and see hwo it goes.
I can probably use my pot to pour some lead in a small cup and stick the engrave rod and see how it works.

Echo
08-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Plug diameter is .235, according to my Midway calipers. How cool is it going to be to have a skull showing on the nose of the 45 cartridges!

orisolo
08-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Here is the S&W i did today for the friend.
This time its only initial of the intended owner (its a gift)

skruske
08-09-2013, 08:03 AM
As with many successful business, they have multiple ways to generate income. Jewelry engraving can continue to be your primary source. While working on firearms & related items can fill in the slack time.

Simply put, you have a machine with an imbedded investment cost. When it sits idle you are not making it pay for itself. Keep the machine working.

As stated earlier, prepare to be swamped.....initially.

orisolo
08-09-2013, 03:15 PM
As with many successful business, they have multiple ways to generate income. Jewelry engraving can continue to be your primary source. While working on firearms & related items can fill in the slack time.

Simply put, you have a machine with an imbedded investment cost. When it sits idle you are not making it pay for itself. Keep the machine working.

As stated earlier, prepare to be swamped.....initially.

Thank you for the encouragement.
I'm ready to be swamped.
God Bless

Alvin
08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I was going to do something similar after a friend showed me a pure silver .45 Bullet. You could go about it several ways, I'll let you know what I was thinking. Having a mold of an entire bullet made which would show projectile, shell, and primer. Even though it's one piece, each component would bevisible like a regular bullet. I was thinking of doing that and have the cartridge size and my webite engraved surrounding the primer, i.e. 7.62 and xxxxxxxx.com or if doing large orders, company name/logo or military branch.

Other option was to engrave on something like a snap cap; engrave on a clean shell that has a new deactivated primer, fill it with sand or something heavy, and then load a projectile.

Customer could also send you a shell and projectile they want used. You would charge them close to regular price with a discount for future orders or a small discount on that order. They would have to send in at least 3, preferably 5 shells for each engraved dummy bullet. The components probably has a special meaning, but mistakes happen and this would allow him to start early on other orders if any shells are left over.

You would want to for sure offer the engraving colored, I was planning on doing that along with anodizing the bullet with different colors.

I hope this information helps you and you a least one useful idea or motivation for other options. I have a small business plan that my friend and I made when we thought of doing it. Best of luck, and feel free to message or email me if you have any questions.

Alvin

tcbnick
08-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Great idea. I always have kept my special memory brass, first this or biggest that. This would be so much better than my way of masking tape with the dates written on them sitting on the mantle.
Please go for it , and the price seem great.

orisolo
09-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Hi Guys,
I got busy for a while with other project.
I had a local gun smith asking me if i can engrave serial no.
After checking what is needed the conclusion was no.
I went ahead and ordered drill bit for my engraver and now can engrave to required depth of 0.003.

Echo was asking if its possible to engrave the plugs of a molds and now the answer is yes.
My only limit is the surface need to be even or i can not control the depth of the engraving or should i say milling as this can remove lot of material.

i can not drill deep (in steel) in one pas but if i have the time with multiple passes i can make it to the other side of a plate.

I was toying today with a stainless bracket and importing graphics.
I think its too deep i went 0.010mm but i think that 0.005mm or 0.007mm would come out better.

Another option is to engrave to 0.025-0.035mm and then fill with color.
I think it will be deep enough for the paint to hold.

If there is someone who need something engraved ill do it for free just pay for shipping.
I need idea and need to practice.

Here is a picture of the latest testings.