PDA

View Full Version : Best Balance of Cast Boolit for Short-barrel 1:24 RH Twist Revolver??

Southern Shooter
08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I have a Ruger SRH Alaskan in .454 Casull. It has a 1:24 twist on a 2.5" barrel. The purpose of the gun is as it was designed, for close-encounter (25 yards or less) defensive use while backpacking/fishing in the backcountry.

I already have molds for boolit casting for this gun. But, I am considering a new mold and want some input before investing in another one.

I want a bullet that:
1) Will more than adequately penetrate large animals in the lower 48 and Alaskan areas.
2) Will cause an effective wound channel.
3) Will offer stablized performance.
4) Will be manageable for follow-up shoots.
5) **whatever other members want to add here**

How would ya'll design the next mold for this gun?
Ideas on load data?
Desired velocities?
Etc.?

Thanks

CplOswald74
04-21-2014, 06:14 PM
405 grain lnswc cast out of WCWW over 21 grains of H110 works great out of my 2.5 inch Taurus Raging Bull. Stays straight to 30 yards (as far as I have tested). I get around 1100 fps out of this load with relatively mild recoil and no pressure signs. I have not killed anything larger than a cotton tail with it. I designed this bullet myself figuring it would break any critters shoulder in Az.

DrCaveman
04-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Others with much more experience will hopefully chime in, but i think that the short barrel and slow twist is going to like lighter boolits better
Probably the lee 300 rnfp gas check is a good bet
Not sure what powder would be best suited...slow powders with gentle launch pressure will probably not burn fully...fast powders will probably cause more deformation = worse accuracy

If it were me, id try the 300 grain in front of a max load of unique. Prob get 800-900 fps with reasonable potential for follow-up shots. Or maybe a moderate load of 2400 powder.

Im feeling a bit of buyers remorse for my 5" 460 s&w magnum, due to barrel length and twist. Might never get those 2" groups at 75 yds i was hoping for. Still, anything within 25 yds is toast

If short range is OK (which means stabilization is not that important) then a big boy like oswald mentions is probably pretty good. But i wouldnt expect groups at 50 yds