PDA

View Full Version : Another Midway rant

stubshaft
08-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Bird season will be coming up soon and I wanted to load a couple of 16 ga. shells for my Ithaca dbl. I went online to the midway catalog and found just what I was lookin for, a box of BPI SG 16 ga. wads for $9.79. I started the checkout procedure and stopped at the end. They tacked on a $3.00 special handling charge? and wanted $15.95 in additional shipping fees! If I wanted it shipped Priority it would be only $21.80!

Needless to say they can go and "pound sand"...It'll snow on Waikiki beach before I order from them again.

Cosmiceyes
08-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Yeah like they voted all the taxes into play that makes that happen! Sheesh another O'blamer! :)'s

WILCO
08-04-2013, 03:17 AM
I always vote with my wallet.

imashooter2
08-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Midway doesn't want small orders. They make it plain by adding fees and charging high base shipping. Buy a pile of stuff and the shipping hardly changes.

The solution is simple, buy where you get the best overall deal.

fryboy
08-04-2013, 09:07 AM
hmm wonder how much it'd cost driving around looking for them and how much tax would be added to them in a local buy ... ie; it's all relative , as to whether or not that's enough to end your business relationship with them ... that's your choice [shrugz] most things are cheaper in bulk but we dont always need bulk i suppose , oddly enough at the store a small single can serving of corn cost almost as much as the larger 4 serving size ...wonder why that is ?

DHurtig
08-04-2013, 09:31 AM
I always feel lucky when I hear these stories. What ever I need I just have to stop by my local gun store and have them order it. The are big enough that they are placing orders with the distributors several times a week. Prices are better than most places in the country. They call you by name and are always glad to see you. Best of all..... no shipping charges.

41 mag fan
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Midway doesn't want small orders. They make it plain by adding fees and charging high base shipping. Buy a pile of stuff and the shipping hardly changes.

Charging high shipping?? They're alot cheaper than Natchez. Go and price the same items over there and see how much their shipping is compared to Midway.
You can use DHL that Natchez provides, but be prepared for a weeks wait on getting DHL to deliver your pkg to the post office.

imashooter2
08-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Charging high shipping?? They're alot cheaper than Natchez. Go and price the same items over there and see how much their shipping is compared to Midway.
You can use DHL that Natchez provides, but be prepared for a weeks wait on getting DHL to deliver your pkg to the post office.

Natchez doesn't want small orders. They make it plain by charging high base shipping. Buy a pile of stuff and the shipping hardly changes.

44Vaquero
08-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Wilco and imashooter2, have it right always vote with your wallet and get the best overall deal!

I just made a $156.00 order from Factory Sales for 7 Lee items they got my order because:

1. all items in stock
2. $6.75 less than Midway and $5.85 less then Graf's on the total order

I check several sites before I order, it only takes a few min to build an order on each!

And I placed the order on Friday afternoon and received it on Monday!

Boyscout
08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
I tried the LGS option for special orders long before the election and New Town; I still don't have the goods. Midway had them in stock. I would prefer to buy local whenever possible even with tax.

sparky45
08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
As a member of a local shooting Club, I am able to get dealer discounts on EVERYTHING in Grafs Catalog + free shipping. Only fee charged is a County Sales Tax.

bikerbeans
08-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks for informing me about Factory Sales (RS Reloading), you just saved me about 13 bucks on a Lee mold I have been wanting.

BB

Wilco and imashooter2, have it right always vote with your wallet and get the best overall deal!

I just made a $156.00 order from Factory Sales for 7 Lee items they got my order because:

1. all items in stock

I check several sites before I order, it only takes a few min to build an order on each!

SP5315
08-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Hey stubshaft.
You can always order directly from BPI as I do. It's sowing 7.59+8.99shipping for a total of 16.58 including shipping for what your looking for.

Cosmiceyes
08-05-2013, 02:14 AM
hmm wonder how much it'd cost driving around looking for them and how much tax would be added to them in a local buy ... ie; it's all relative , as to whether or not that's enough to end your business relationship with them ... that's your choice [shrugz] most things are cheaper in bulk but we dont always need bulk i suppose , oddly enough at the store a small single can serving of corn cost almost as much as the larger 4 serving size ...wonder why that is ?

Because they're both full of corn! :)'s

stubshaft
08-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Hey stubshaft.
You can always order directly from BPI as I do. It's sowing 7.59+8.99shipping for a total of 16.58 including shipping for what your looking for.

I ended up ordering from them and they charged me $13.87 shipping (zone 8)...

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2013, 05:59 AM
just the opposite on my last midway order. I just got a 2x7 luepold from them. they had the cheapest price (all vendors were within 10 bucks) and shipping was free.

longranger
08-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Midway does offer USPS shipping for $4.92 on small orders,done 3 in the past month and shipping has been amazingly fast. Midway gives you several options on shipping just click on your preferred method.

garym1a2
08-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Bigger orders Midway tends to do very well. On small orders its worth it to shop online to Grafs, Midsouth, Amazon and a few other places. On big ticket items you can do better elsewhere. Still Midway gets most of my buisness due to their inventory, fast shipping and good return policy.

youngda9
08-06-2013, 09:51 AM
I order almost all my stuff from Midway. Yes they charge $3 for orders under $20 I believe. So what. It's $3. People will more time complaining and worrying about a measly $3 than the $3 is worth. If you don't like it, go spend more elsewhere. They'll get more of your money with higher prices, and slower shipping...but you'll feel better because the shipping is cheaper perhaps.

dilly
08-06-2013, 10:45 AM
I've had good experience with MidwayUSA. They are what they are. They have the best inventory and most usable website in the industry in my opinion. Their customer service and shipping speed are excellent. It's not the absolute cheapest place to get things, but the extra profit margin they earn by prices is well used in cataloging an incredible inventory in a very useful website.

For example, often as reloaders we need very SPECIFIC items. I don't just want 7.5x55 Swiss dies, I want 7.5x55 swiss dies made by hornady cut for the 96/11 chamber. I will probably either order them from Midway because if Midsouth or Natchez even stocks them, it's about impossible to find on their website. Or they don't note the different chamber dimensions different dies for that caliber are cut for, leaving me to guess. Graf's is pretty good, but not quite the available inventory.

I try and buy as many reloading things I need at once as I can afford when I make an order, which means I have to find somewhere that has as many items I want in stock as possible. That almost always turns out to make MidwayUSA my cheapest option despite their very slightly higher prices because I don't have to order from 3 different stores.

armedmoose
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I did notice a change in Midway shipping charges for lower prices and they offer more shipping options now. Like others have said.. try smart post option.. UPS > Local USPS service. Very cost effective and very quick even to my rural route mailbox. :)

Also utilize their "wish list system", I always throw "would be nice to have" on the list and add them when I am ordering something "I gotta have it now", more items lessens the "shipping tax".

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-07-2013, 03:21 PM

1. all items in stock

Then you had awesome luck with factory sales , my mileage varied , i got my stuff after about 2 1/2 weeks but my patients was getting thin.

6.75 to midway was worth it to me to see the order shipped the same day

rush1886
08-07-2013, 08:10 PM
I realise this rant was started due to shipping costs. I don't really want to hijack the thread, but I'll throw in one of my pet peeves, and for about the past year or so, it has become very annoying, Particularly at Midway.

About a week ago, I received the monthly Midway sale flier in the mail. In the flier is a particular trigger I've been considering for some time. It was on sale, not drastically reduced, but enough to convince myself to git-er-done. The sale flier is for August.

I logged on, plugged in the cat #, and it comes up "Out of Stock, expected delivery date 10-15-13." They could not possibly have sold out of this particular item in the 30 or so days leading up to the publication of the flier. Why would they put something up for sale, when they know it's out of stock and will not be in stock prior to expiration of the sale?

It's happened to me several times in the past year, at Midway, mostly on brass, but also on dies. WHY?

I know I can purchase it on a "backorder" basis, but's that's absolutely beside the point.

Apologies for the sidetrack-just had to let it out!

Lance Boyle
08-07-2013, 08:18 PM
yep, a lot of outfits are playing the extra profits off on the shipping, when in fact they're pocketing 50-70% of the shipping fees. those huge outfits get a discount based on their huge volume.

It's simple for me, i open up three browsers with three vendors midway, grafs, brownells, or whomever. Fill the baskets, assess what's actually in stock, look at the cheapest to the door price, finish the order with the cheapest.