PDA

View Full Version : Great day at the range.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I went to the range today with Buckshot and his neighbor Ralph and what a glorious day it was. It was not to hot and there was a lite breaze blowing, beautiful blue sky with a few wispy clouds. I took my Ruger # 1 in 30-30 and I mounted a Unertle 10 power scope on it. I also took a Winchester model '92 in 32-20. Buckshot took his Pedersoli rolling block in 40-65. In the pictures you can see him shooting the steel gong offhand at 100 yards. He had no trouble hitting it. He even hit a smaller gong at 200 yards. Ralph was shooting a Savage bolt in .308 with "j" bullets. Not worth taking a picture of. It was a great day but let's face it, any day shooting beats any day working. This isn't the best range in the country but it's all we have left here in our area of the People's Republc of Komifornia.

leeggen
08-02-2013, 10:18 PM
I envy you three, what a great day indeed. That cloud on the right hilltop looks like a hog head and the one on the left looks like an eguana jumping out of the way.
CD

WILCO
08-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Glad you had a great time. Enjoyed the cloud picture too!

shooterg
08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
The iquana I see - but the right one is obviously a hairy conehead !

runfiverun
08-03-2013, 02:57 PM
the hog I could see, the iguana must have made the jump before I got here.
oh buckshot is the guy in the black shirt.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Yes, Buckshot is the man in black while I am the Handsome Stranger in white. Ralph is the big German on my right.

ph4570
08-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Looks like a fine range to me.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-05-2013, 04:37 PM
ph4570, it is a nice range but it is a long drive to get there and it is strictly a public range which means there are no matches of any kind. I am sure all of you know with a public range you get mostly the black guns and very few real riflemen. These guys sit at a bench and blast away as fast as they can pull the trigger while hitting almost nothing. I retrieved a target and frame from the dumpster that did not a single hole in it. They cost $6.50 each. When I showed it to the range officer he told me one day he watched a man fire 250 rounds and didn't hit his target once. I have nothing against the black guns but most of the people I see shooting them would do well to practice slow fire with a single shot for a while.

WILCO
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I have nothing against the black guns but most of the people I see shooting them would do well to practice slow fire with a single shot for a while.

Ever since they stopped showing cowboys as heros, men haven't been the same.

longranger
08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I used to go to the San Dimas range quite a bit until a moron shot himself in the hand with a 1911, the guy in the next space beat the **** out of him for sending a round his direction. So. Cal has no good safe place to shoot. Bishop CA has a almost good silhouette range. Folsom Shooting Club is the best in the state hands down.

Goatwhiskers
08-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Took me back to my childhood talking about finding shapes in clouds. We live in too much of a rush. Think I'll go lay on my back in the yard tomorrow and study the clouds. GW

tward
08-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I envy you guys. No range time here but 70-75degrees so I went out in the yard and cast about 25 lbs of Boolits. Tim