PDA

View Full Version : Bluing Extremely Long Barrel....Looking For Service

jonboyb
08-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I've called MANY places with no luck. Needing a 56.25" round barrel finished preferably with hot blue but at this point I'd settle for rust bluing. Has anyone ever had a piece this large done or know any smiths or metal shops capable??? I've found a couple with 48" tanks but that's the largest I've found. My wife would use the barrel on me if she saw me trying to build a sweat tank to fit it or I'd give rust bluing a try myself. Thanks.

waksupi
08-02-2013, 08:38 PM
You don't necessarily need a sweat tank. I live in a dry region, and do it without. I just use a piece of PVC capped, and a opening cut in the side to lay the barrel in on a couple blocks of wood to support it for scalding. Pre-heat the barrel well, place in PVC, and then pour the boiling water over it.

oldred
08-02-2013, 09:24 PM
but at this point I'd settle for rust bluing.Thanks.

Settle for rust bluing? Honestly I think rust blue is a superior finish to hot blue and even more durable.

jonboyb
08-02-2013, 09:35 PM
The barrel is built around an action that is hot blued...once I get started on a rust blue project I have to be confident I can make the barrel match. I'd LOVE to leave it to an expert but spent the better part of the day calling various finishers with no luck.

Andrew Mason
08-06-2013, 01:54 PM
So, out if curiosity

What are you doing that has a 56" barrel?

koehlerrk
03-30-2014, 09:30 PM
So, out if curiosity

What are you doing that has a 56" barrel?

Yeah, what are you up to....

Pb2au
03-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Anti-aircraft most likely.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Rust bluing is not hard. Tedious and a labor of love but not hard. If I had a 56" barrel to blue I would use my turkey fryer and a few friends fryers to get a water filled feed trough up to boiling. Slow rust bluing is available through Brownells and Midway.

johnson1942
03-31-2014, 05:27 PM
years a go a guy up in n.dak. made one like that golf ball bore size. a long barreled cannon muzzle loader. shot golf balls out over the big lake. it was a serious cannon even with those golf balls. it was a smooth bore.