PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye in 243?

quilbilly
08-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Bullseye in my 223 shoots pretty well in my T/C carbine (4.6 gr gives an mv of 1725 fps +- 30) so I am thinking about it for my cb's in my 243. Has anybody tried this?

jonp
08-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Awful fast for that. I'm surprised it works well for you and would be very surprised if it works with heavier boolits. I am interested in the responses as I've not heard of someone doing this.

243winxb
08-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Certain smokeless powders with a high-nitroglycerine concentration (40%) can be induced to detonate. http://www.alliantpowder.com/downloads/msds/Bullseye.pdf What it looks like > http://www.photobucket.com/kabooom

quilbilly
08-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Tried 6 gr of Bullseye at the home chronograph. Not a hint of problems. MV was 1375 +-15 fps and not position sensitive. it is a little quieter than a 22 rimfire magnum. Also in the same session I chrono'ed 28 gr. of 3031 which gave an MV of 2250 +- 40 fps. It may be a while before I can take these to the range to see if either load is accurate at 100 yards however.

Hawkeye45
08-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Hi.
IIRC bench rest shooters use bullseye to fire form 220 Russian to 6ppc. Check out 6ppc.com for their forum, it will give you the info you need.

Mr. Ed

onceabull
08-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Not a problem with BE in 243 w. Or 375 H&H if you stay rational.. Ed Harris has published a goodly #of loads with BE as has Paco K. Id guess that I have used the old "Guard load" in sundry 30/06s for maybeso 40 years.. Take every precaution of avoid double charges... Onceabull[smilie=f:

357maximum
08-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I have ran bullseye in just about every centerfire cast shooting gun I have/ever owned...... 22Hornet to 35 whelen to 444marlin. WATCH CLOSELY for double charges as onceabull has already stated.....THAT IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST ISSUE. PAY ATTENTION and have a (little) blast. :mrgreen: I proably burn more bullseye in my 30/30 than I do any other single use. I even did a 30/30 LIMBO post on it a few years back.

quilbilly
08-05-2013, 12:12 PM
I have ran bullseye in just about every centerfire cast shooting gun I have/ever owned...... 22Hornet to 35 whelen to 444marlin. WATCH CLOSELY for double charges as onceabull has already stated.....THAT IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST ISSUE. PAY ATTENTION and have a (little) blast. :mrgreen: I proably burn more bullseye in my 30/30 than I do any other single use. I even did a 30/30 LIMBO post on it a few years back.
That is the only reason I don't like Bullseye in "big" cases. To prevent double charges, I only do six at a time so, hopefully, I won't do a mixup. The rifle is my wife's new 243 and if the BE load works at 100 yds, she will adore it.

Sensai
08-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Probably preaching to the choir, but ... If you place your primed cases in a loading block neck down and place a boolit in the case as soon as it's charged, your chances of a double charge drop to around zero. The temptation to speed things up by charging all the cases and then seating the boolits is what gets most folks in trouble. That and interuptions. If I'm interupted the case goes back in the loading block, neck down.

Nickle
08-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Probably preaching to the choir, but ... If you place your primed cases in a loading block neck down and place a boolit in the case as soon as it's charged, your chances of a double charge drop to around zero. The temptation to speed things up by charging all the cases and then seating the boolits is what gets most folks in trouble. That and interuptions. If I'm interupted the case goes back in the loading block, neck down.

Smart business.

As to BE and the 243, I see absolutely no reason not to try it, as long as you properly address safety. Make sure to check every charge, as a double can be easy to do, with disastrous results.

Eddie2002
08-12-2013, 07:17 PM
I've been using 5.5 grains of Bullseye in my 30-06 pushing a light 100 grain cast bullet. It's been hitting under 1 inch at 50 yards, little recoil and low report. At 100 yrds the group opens up to around 8 inches. Give it a shot, bet it will work. To prevent double charges I move the casings from one loading block to a second which is on the other side of the bench as I charge them.

jonp
08-12-2013, 08:27 PM
learn something new everyday which is why I peruse this forum. :grin:

Nickle
08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
I use 3.2 grains in the 30-30 and top it with a cast 100 grain wadcutter. Makes good squib loads for my grand daughter.

Curlymaple42
08-13-2013, 06:39 AM
What about secondary detonation? Or is that not an issue because the powder is such a fast burning powder?

Nickle
08-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Secondary detonation depends on the powder that gets used. Some are prone to it, some aren't.

Check out what Larry Gibson (on this site) has to say about fillers. He's got good information.

303Guy
08-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I have a routine - charged case goes neck up in the block and does not get picked up again until a light has been shone down it and the others, no exception. Any distraction and the case goes back in the block and the light shone down again. It's such a habit I can't do otherwise which is the idea. I also can't lock a door without the keys in my hand. Similar thing (got tired of climbing in through the bathroom window!) It's a developed habit that keeps me out of pooh.

Careful with fillers and Bulls Eye (or similar). I've had neck pressure issues with bulk fillers. Use only Dacron in the prescribed manner. On neck pressure, I haven't ruled out Bulls Eye equivalent as being the culprit. Ever noticed that with no primer pressure signs the neck still has to be resized?

Trail Boss may be a better choice.

selmerfan
08-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately some of us have learned this lesson the hard way, myself included. Right here is my loading procedure for any batch of loads that present the case volume possibility of a double charge. With standard jacketed loads and slow-burning powders it's not necessary, but with cast boolits or reduced loads it is required on my bench. Ideally I have one of my two daughters (or both) sitting next to me asking to help load, so I set the press and dies up for seating boolits. I throw charges, they seat boolits in an assembly line operation. Increased safety and good time with the girls.

303Guy
08-16-2013, 04:54 PM
What put me off seating immediately after charging is the number of empty cartridges turning up. How can that possibly be if one powders then seats the boolits/bullets? I figure a double charge can happen just as easily, in fact it has happened but with a case filling powder it only made a mess. An empty case is just a dangerous as a double charge - the next cartridge is effectively double charge since it now has two boolits over it. How can one not notice that a boolit did not shoot out the barrel? Easy, you think you forgot to reload. One is focused on the hunt. You think that will never happen to you? Murphy's second law tells us otherwise. It states; "If anything can go wrong, it will". And it does. In my case luck was on my side - the case filling powder prevented the bullet being pushed back so the bolt would not close (a measure to prevent just such an event). That's when I changed my procedure to laying them all out in the loading block, mouth up and shining a light into them all before picking them up to seat the bullet/boolit. Even when loading one test round it goes into the block with the light inspection. Any hiccup, loss of train of thought or disturbance of any kind, the one in my hand goes back into the block and the light is shone again. That rifle nearly blew up in my face and I ain't gonna let that happen again. And my my system works for me. It's a habit, just like my keys in hand system. I know I'm not the only one who locks themself out of their house or locks car keys in the ignition! Or puts things on the car roof then drives off with it still there (actually, I only did that once when I first got a car - I never put anything on the roof again!) Never forget Murphy's law. It's cast in stone!

Anyway, that's what works for me.

Oh, a missing primer is not as bad as missing powder but I have a similar routine for priming - got tired of pulling boolits and cleaning up powder that trickles out.