PDA

View Full Version : Storing MiHec Moulds

Mark85304
08-02-2013, 05:01 AM
What do you use to store your MiHec pieces of art when not in use?

So far, I've been using the cardboard shipping box MiHec uses, but those are getting rather ragged and at some point will fall apart. I store my moulds without the handles attached. I'm thinking something like the Lyman mould boxes but for 4 cavities and all the bits and pins.

dragon813gt
08-02-2013, 05:45 AM
A 16" plastic tool box w/ dividers made out of cardboard. Able to store the handles on the upper tray. And the Allen wrenches, extra clips and pin parts in storage compartments in the lid.

I went out and bought some of the MTM boxes, well actually Cabelas brand, for 44 mag. I started drememiling out the dividers. Talk about a mess no matter how I went about it. So I recently purchased another toolbox to start filling :)

btroj
08-02-2013, 07:25 AM
In a pile on the shelf where I load. Just like my other moulds.

Shepherd2
08-02-2013, 08:05 AM
I bought some of the black plastic boxes that Berry's ship their plated bullets in. They sell empty boxes too. They will hold Lyman 4 cavity moulds as well as larger NOE and Accurate moulds. I wrap the moulds in rust inhibiting paper that I get from Brownells.

Mal Paso
08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Back on the hot plate and turn the power off. The other 2 are on the shelf. They all have their own handles so there's no fighting.

MUSTANG
08-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I moved my reloading equipment from the Desert (Southern Nevada) to the Mountains (NorthWest Montana) and anguished over the dramatically higher levels of humidity. Previously my less used molds for casting, swaging and reloading dies were stored in ammo cans; with those used more often simply placed in a plastic tote on the bench. Works in the desert; but not in high humidity areas.

Yesterday my solution arrived on the FedEx Truck. I bought a medium size surplus aluminum medical chest from Sportman's Guide. Although it cost just south of a $100 bill with shipping, it gave me more sealed storage than a similar cost in Ammo Cans. So now I will shift all the less frequently used items to the medical chest for longer term storage (with desiccant inside), and use the Ammo Cans for more often used items, labeled with contents of course.

As an aside, the medical chest had an old packing list of field medical supplies still inside. The list indicated that the chest was from Blount Island Jacksonville Florida, the Marine Corps home for it's pre-positioning ship program. Nice to know that this item got a 2nd lease on life, still supporting an old broke down Marine.

Mustang

HATCH
08-02-2013, 10:00 AM
I have a roll around toolbox that i put my molds in.
Brass molds don't need sealed tight containers.
I do get these square plastic storage boxes from publix to store my magma molds in. One mold per. I got a drawer dedicated to them.

wool1
08-02-2013, 10:26 AM
In a pile on the shelf where I load. Just like my other moulds.

+1, have the same pile storing system