PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6-cavity problems

Marlin Junky
10-11-2007, 03:11 PM
One of the male alignment pins worked its way out of its socket about a 1/32" (or a bit more) on my new .360-220-GB during the mold's very first casting session.

Any suggestions?

MJ

BABore
10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Remove the mold from the handles and set the problem half on a nice hard, flat surface. Set the pin back in place with a soft brass or aluminum punch. Lube the pins and bushing, and go back to casting.

I take it the pin is not loose and it just moved some. If it's actually loose, more drastic action is called for.

Marlin Junky
10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I already set it back by with a vise (wood block between the mold block and jaw) but I was wondering if there's any thing that can be done to prevent this in the future. My only guess at this point is that taping on the hinge pin to release boolits moved it out. The alignment pins don't appear to be sticking together when the mold is opened.

MJ

imashooter2
10-11-2007, 05:06 PM
That happened to me with a standard 6 hole. My experience is that it will come out every time you cast unless you take more drastic measures to stop it.

I removed mine from the block, chucked it in a drill motor, and spun it on a strip of 320 paper to polish the pin that goes into the bushing on the far block. Then remove from the drill motor and with a center punch put a couple of good sized dimples on the part that presses into the block. Make those dimples up at the mid point of the pin body so that you have a straight portion to start the pin back in the block. Press the pin back in the block, lube the female and male portions lightly with anti seize and test to make sure the mold opens an closes easily. That did it for me.... no problems since, and I've cast several thousands.

Marlin Junky
10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
That happened to me with a standard 6 hole. My experience is that it will come out every time you cast unless you take more drastic measures to stop it.

I removed mine from the block, chucked it in a drill motor, and spun it on a strip of 320 paper to polish the pin that goes into the bushing on the far block. Then remove from the drill motor and with a center punch put a couple of good sized dimples on the part that presses into the block. Make those dimples up at the mid point of the pin body so that you have a straight portion to start the pin back in the block. Press the pin back in the block, lube the female and male portions lightly with anti seize and test to make sure the mold opens an closes easily. That did it for me.... no problems since, and I've cast several thousands.

Thank you... sounds like good advice.

MJ