PDA

View Full Version : Help wireing my PID and SSR

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
I've been reading on the 2 or 3 stickies for a few days now for assembling a PID controler and SSR and bought those parts from a member here and also printed out 2 different wireing diagrams to assemble them. Bought a project box and all nessary extras, Switch, Fues, indicator lite and mounted all of those and was time to start wireing.

When i went to try the wireing it became clear that my PID and SSR were a little different than the diagrams i have and with my electricly challanged brain decided that i have no idea how to hook up the system correctly. HELP :confused:

My PID is a QBJK N2006-P-612and the SSR is a FOTEK

Do i just use the same numbers from the diagram 77926 or http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31612&d=1303243707 or is it compleatly different ?

Forgot to add this is for a Lee Pro 4 pot and also what size fuse should i use, 10 amp, 12 or 15

Thanks in advance for your input on this, Steve

el34
08-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Your PID controller has SSR output terminals labeled + (8) and - (7). Your SSR has input terminals also labeled + (3) and - (4). Hook up the PID + to the SSR +, and the - to the -. The other two screws on the SSR are the switch terminals that switch ON or OFF the 110V power to the pot, just as if those were the connections on a light switch on the wall.

Thermocouples also have + and - connections and won't work if backwards (no damage will happen though). Just saying that 'cause I didn't see your PID thermocouple (TC) input screws labeled + and -.

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Your PID controller has SSR output terminals labeled + (8) and - (7). Your SSR has input terminals also labeled + (3) and - (4). Hook up the PID + to the SSR +, and the - to the -. The other two screws on the SSR are the switch terminals that switch ON or OFF the 110V power to the pot, just as if those were the connections on a light switch on the wall.

Thermocouples also have + and - connections and won't work if backwards (no damage will happen though). Just saying that 'cause I didn't see your PID thermocouple (TC) input screws labeled + and -.

el34, The TC hook up is labled 9+, 10-, the TC is a K type and has a red and yellow wire.
What i dont know now is where the SSR #1 and #2 go to and in the diagram lines B & C on the pid controler. Could you tell me what the lines marked B & C on the PID are marked with a value or function so i could check my PID aginst it.
Any help there and i will have it done, Thanks Steve

TreeKiller
08-03-2013, 12:33 AM
From the pic:
SSR + to 6 and -to 7 on the controller.

el34
08-04-2013, 12:06 AM
A good part of the confusion is that your PID isn't the same as in the wiring diagram, so the connection terminal numbers don't match.

Your SSR terminals 1 and 2 are the same as the drawing SSR L1 and T1. On your SSR it doesn't matter which way you connect them, but for simplicity's sake just say your SSR #1 is L1 on the drawing (wire F), and your #2 is the drawing T1.

On the drawing, lines B and C are the 110V AC power coming in from the line cord that plugs into the wall outlet.

Line C, the black wire, is the "hot" 110V wire and goes two places- the SSR (wire F) and to the PID on either of the AC inputs.

Line B is the incoming 110V AC white wire, called "neutral", and goes to the terminal strip connecting it to the white wire going to the melting pot wire E and also to the other AC input on the PID.

I couldn't really tell which of your PID terminals are for the AC input but it looks like 1 and 2 based on the warning thingy and that no other terminals seem to be available for the AC. Those are wires B and C.

The TC red wire goes the the TC+ (9) input on your PID, the yellow goes to the - input (10).

This is kinda wordy and I hope not too confusing. Let me know if I need to 'splain better. I assume you realize the terminal strip on the drawing top row screw links to the bottom screw (wire A and D are the same, B and E, C and F).

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-04-2013, 12:36 AM
El34,

Thanks so much for your help. I was able to get it wired up today and powaered up but dont know how to set the PID functions, Sent a PM to ya for yours.

Meantime if anyone has a instruction manual that shows how to set a PID, either paper or pdf or vidieo Would sure appreciate it,
Steve

el34
08-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Found this site, has manual and hookups for your PID-
http://aakilns.com.au/pdf/hoticemanualwebsite.pdf

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Well after 2 1/2 days of trying to get my PID working i found a factory PDF manual that completly exsplains how to set up and program this for whatever you need it to do and in 5 mins i was good to go.
First pic is the thermal coupler in the pot with a bracket i made out of alluminium and second is the pot heated up and working.
The two holes are for a power lite and a fuse that will go in when i have time to play again.

A special THANKS to EL34 for his help on this set up.
Steve

el34
08-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Victory rocks!