PDA

View Full Version : High point carbines.

DHurtig
08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I was looking at the High Point carbines in the local gun store the other day and thought they might be a cheap little fun gun. I think a 45 ACP carbine would be a blast to shoot especially if they will shoot lead.

I haven't heard anything bad about them. They seemed like hefty little guns. Does anybody have any first hand experience with these guns? How are they with lead bullets? Looking forward to hearing your experiences. Dale

aspangler
08-01-2013, 05:20 PM
They are decent fun guns. I like the forever warranty. No matter who owns it if it tears up the will fix it free . I own 2 of their handguns and they both shoot cast very well.

08-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I had a carbine in 45 acp. Functioned well shot well I could hit a piece of steel 9 inches wide and 10 inches tall every time at 100 yards with jacketed. Shot OK with cast, but I didn't but a lot of effort into working up a load. I could ring the steel every time at 50 yards with cast. I traded it for one in 40 S&W just because I have a ton of 40 brass and a loader set up for 40. Ugly at sin but they work and shoot straight. I put a truglow 2X red dot on mine. Should be around $300.00 new.

dtknowles
08-01-2013, 11:32 PM
I have one in 9mm and think it is a amazing firearm. Not one to be really proud of but very functional. I have been shooting mine a bunch lately, I have more 9mm ammo than anything. I was shoot up my found ammo and rejects through it two week ago. One round fired out of battery, the case head separated around three quarters of the circumference and did not hurt the gun at all. I could tell the round was different, I cleared the gun and checked the bore and chamber. I could see erosion on bullet of the top round in the magazine. I put the magazine back in the gun and fired it and dozens more rounds with out issue. The carbine is surprisingly accurate but not a tack driver. To look at it and for what I paid you do not get the feeling of precision but like others have said, 100 yard 8 inch steel plates are dead every time shooting off the bench and at risk off-hand, I have not shot groups with it in many years, I have a 3 moa red dot sight on mine and when at the range I shoot man size target or the plates. I have fired more than 1000 cast bullet rounds thru it, every round goes bang if I put powder and primers in them. I did have a squib that I had to pound out of the barrel, my mistake, I don't have a powder sensor on my progressive and one must have gotten by me. I have not seen any leading but it is not like I am looking really close. I am happy with this firearm, I would buy another a market price if I had to replace it. Oh, the trigger sucks, or maybe it was meant to be a mash button considering the potential tactical situation it was intended, mine is the squishiest trigger I have ever felt, very toy like.

Tim

SeabeeMan
08-02-2013, 12:04 AM
You can't buy a better ugly gun with a crappier trigger that you'll enjoy for years. I love my 9mm. It shoots cast extremely well and rings the plates at 100 with a Cheap red dot. It gets a range of funny to looks to dismissive grunts at the range, but its functional, reliable, and surprisingly accurate. Come to think of it, that everything i say about my hi point pistols. And a lifetime warranty to boot!

The new stock is better than the old planet of the apes one, but avoid the ATI stocks. Sounds like there is insufficient support in those and bad things happen.

DHurtig
08-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Sounds like I need to add one to my wish list then. Thanks guys.

08-02-2013, 06:03 AM
If I had a dog as ugly as my 4095 I'd shave it's butt and teach it to walk backwards. ;) But I'd keep it around.

RobsTV
08-02-2013, 08:15 AM
The original carbine were ugly monkey guns.
The newer TS models, like the 4095TS, now look more like normal black carbines, but with a lot of standard features most makers leave out.

Have the 4095TS, and the JCP 40S&W pistol to go along with it.
Then added a used C9 (9mm pistol) to the group.
They have only been fed cast boolits.
Out of 25 handguns, most hi-end US models from Smith and Wesson, the C9 beats them all for accuracy and reliability except for a Ruger MkII 22/45. I still shake my head in amazement every time I shoot the C9 $120 pistol.

Nearly every one of my S&W's have been back to the factory for repairs, some like the 500 and Shield 40, a couple times, but the Hi-Points have never needed anything other than a new magazine to replace the prior C9 owners screw-ups (which I corrected after having a new factory mag to compare it to). I can't count the number of times my brothers less accurate Glock 9mm's and Colt 1911 Gold Cup Match have been back to gunsmith for repairs.

nekshot
08-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I am a glutten for punishment but I would like to pick one up real reasonable and restock it in wood.I know I have a tendancy to be out in left field at times but the vision of it is in my mind!

badboyparamedic
08-02-2013, 10:31 AM
One of the best Cheap guns I own, eats anything.

w0fms
08-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Heh.. I just recently realized, that with the exception of the very first magazine... the .45 pistol has never had a FTF/FTE.. can't say that for any of my other guns.. $140 at a gun show new.

I shoot cast lead reloads (which is supposedly verboten according to the instructions) and the gun is accurate and fine. I am getting a little leading at the muzzle. Running a brass brush through every 100rd or so is easy and completely works. However, I'm going to try powder coated soon. I suspect that will fix the issues. The gun is accurate as all get go. First round-- right out of the box-- at 21 ft I put in the center of the bullseye.

It's big, ugly and heavy. But it works. Fun range gun...

Prospector Howard
08-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I posted this on another thread about Hi Points a little way down in this section about a week ago. I didn't get any response from anyone, but I've done some more research and it appears to be a problem with the Hi Points. I picked up a slightly used 9mm awhile back, and after about 3 months and about a thousand rounds through it, the bolt face on the breach bolt started pushing back. This caused the steel rails that are molded in the aluminum body on each side of the slot where the bolt retainer slides to bend in and down causing all kinds of problems. This appears to be a major design flaw. The rails should be much thicker steel, or the whole area should be solid steel and then molded into the breach bolt. It says on their website that their rifles are rated for plus-p ammo, but I never shot anything but standard velocity stuff and this still happened. I sent it back to them about a month ago for repair, so I hope they fix it like their warranty says. When I talked to the tech before sending it back to them, I could tell by the way he talked that this is an ongoing issue. When I get it back from them (or not) I'll post again and let everyone know what happened. Their warranty is only good if they deliver on it, and stay in business. Has anyone else had this problem, and did they fix it like they said they would?

RobsTV
08-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I posted this on another thread about Hi Points a little way down in this section about a week ago. I didn't get any response from anyone, but I've done some more research and it appears to be a problem with the Hi Points. ....... When I get it back from them (or not) I'll post again and let everyone know what happened. Their warranty is only good if they deliver on it, and stay in business. Has anyone else had this problem, and did they fix it like they said they would?

Doing a little research, you would know the definite answer to your last two sentences.

First I have heard of anything like this, which might explain why you did not get any response, and I hang out at the Hi-Point owners forum quite a bit, With the huge quantities of these sold, many to Law enforcement agencies such as TPD, I'm sure someone else has had this happen. Might want to check out hipointfirearmsforums dot com.

I don't know if I would call a unique rare issue a design flaw. Seems to me that a design flaw would result in a common problem experienced by many.

EDIT: After more checking, I did see some threads about wear in the bolt/rail area. Seems about 4 people have had issues after around 4000 rounds. Consensus is still out on this, but most feel it is related to either full mags constantly smacked in from bottom (on guns made prior to LRHO), hot rounds, or powder used. Many many more have had well over 4000 rounds and still going problem free. The ones that needed service had everything corrected and a free magazine sent back with gun for their problems. Also looks like the steel rail inserts were extended in models made after 2011 to strengthen area. But best advice is to go to the above forum, post questions and read answers. It is where the heavy HP users reside.

I am not a Hi-Point fanboy. Yes, accurate and reliable but I would rather shoot my other guns. Hi-Points blowback design are big and heavy with limited ammo capacity for what they do. Not something you would want to carry. Good range guns, but the fun factor is not there. Would rather practice with weapons I would carry, small and light with a kick, or massive and stout, and that provide a greater challenge. The challenge is the key. Hi-Points are very boring after a box of ammo. But every time I think I'll get rid of one, a couple rounds through it and don't see how that will ever happen.

felix
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
My son has a Kriss on order and it is ready for him, except he is waiting for Class II paper work to be completed before taking delivery. I will keep ya'll posted on its accuracy and functional characteristics with boolits if and when. ... felix

Wis. Tom
08-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I have a 9mm carbine, and have probably shot 800 cast with no problems. It is alot more accurate with 115 grain than the 124 grain for me, but a fun gun to shoot. I want to get one in 45ACP also. I would buy it again in a minute.

Artful
08-02-2013, 10:46 PM
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/images/4/4/2/9/1/carbines-hp-9.jpg

Well, it's different looking

aspangler
08-03-2013, 12:08 AM
I posted this on another thread about Hi Points a little way down in this section about a week ago. I didn't get any response from anyone, but I've done some more research and it appears to be a problem with the Hi Points. I picked up a slightly used 9mm awhile back, and after about 3 months and about a thousand rounds through it, the bolt face on the breach bolt started pushing back. This caused the steel rails that are molded in the aluminum body on each side of the slot where the bolt retainer slides to bend in and down causing all kinds of problems. This appears to be a major design flaw. The rails should be much thicker steel, or the whole area should be solid steel and then molded into the breach bolt. It says on their website that their rifles are rated for plus-p ammo, but I never shot anything but standard velocity stuff and this still happened. I sent it back to them about a month ago for repair, so I hope they fix it like their warranty says. When I talked to the tech before sending it back to them, I could tell by the way he talked that this is an ongoing issue. When I get it back from them (or not) I'll post again and let everyone know what happened. Their warranty is only good if they deliver on it, and stay in business. Has anyone else had this problem, and did they fix it like they said they would?

I bought a used 45 at the pawn shop. Found it had a sight screw broken off in the slide. Called HI Point and they said send it to them for repair. Sent it and ten days later I had it back. Looked like they replaced the slide. No charge, and a spare mag to compensate for the shipping to them. That's a warranty I can LIKE!

Prospector Howard
08-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure this is an ongoing problem. The tech I talked to knew exactly what I was talking about even before I finished explain it to him. I could tell he's fixed alot of rifles with the same exact problem. Asplangler, good to hear you had a positive experience getting it back fixed so fast. It's been over a month so far for me, but that's probably more normal for them.
Doing a little research, you would know the definite answer to your last two sentences.

First I have heard of anything like this, which might explain why you did not get any response, and I hang out at the Hi-Point owners forum quite a bit, With the huge quantities of these sold, many to Law enforcement agencies such as TPD, I'm sure someone else has had this happen. Might want to check out hipointfirearmsforums dot com.

I don't know if I would call a unique rare issue a design flaw. Seems to me that a design flaw would result in a common problem experienced by many.

EDIT: After more checking, I did see some threads about wear in the bolt/rail area. Seems about 4 people have had issues after around 4000 rounds. Consensus is still out on this, but most feel it is related to either full mags constantly smacked in from bottom (on guns made prior to LRHO), hot rounds, or powder used. Many many more have had well over 4000 rounds and still going problem free. The ones that needed service had everything corrected and a free magazine sent back with gun for their problems. Also looks like the steel rail inserts were extended in models made after 2011 to strengthen area. But best advice is to go to the above forum, post questions and read answers. It is where the heavy HP users reside.

I am not a Hi-Point fanboy. Yes, accurate and reliable but I would rather shoot my other guns. Hi-Points blowback design are big and heavy with limited ammo capacity for what they do. Not something you would want to carry. Good range guns, but the fun factor is not there. Would rather practice with weapons I would carry, small and light with a kick, or massive and stout, and that provide a greater challenge. The challenge is the key. Hi-Points are very boring after a box of ammo. But every time I think I'll get rid of one, a couple rounds through it and don't see how that will ever happen.

NVScouter
08-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I bought the 9mm version when they first came out. It went bang every time but 6"+25y groups and barely on a car body at 100y made me sell it. I tried scoping and reloading for it but it was garbage.

I originaly bought it for a light camp/rabbit gun. I figure past 40y I was off target so bad who knows what I'd hit. I say dont waste your $$

Silverboolit
08-05-2013, 08:50 PM
I have a 4595TS and it is heavy,ugly,and accurate out to about 50 yds. I can ring the gong at 100 though. It likes the 200gr and 230RN cast very well. Mine has a rough spot about 3 inches up from lthe breech. Thinking about a firelapping session. Other that that, it just works.

w0fms
08-07-2013, 06:20 PM
There is supposedly quite a bit of difference between the old original Hi-Points and the newer polymer frame pistols and carbines as well. The old ones are reportedly "junk". Like I said.. I've been pleasantly surprised by my 45 pistol... Accurate as all get go and goes bang every time...for $140. Disposable at that price as well...

Fishman
08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I like my newer style .45 carbine and it shoots cast fine. I do have a strange issue in that the sights adjust fine, but poa doesnt change. I know, it doesnt make sense but in two range sessions I have had no luck. May need a red dot. The gun goes bang every time and it was cheap enough.

Prospector Howard
08-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Well, I got my 9mm carbine back from Hi-Point the other day. I'll give them a thumbs up. They fixed it like the warranty says. They even replaced one thing I didn't even ask them to. An extra 10 round magazine to help with shipping costs included. Took almost 6 weeks, but who's counting. The only thing that I noticed, when I took it out of the box, it was cocked and ready to fire. Oops, not good for the firing pin springs. They should have dry fired it before putting in the box to ship. Now we'll see if it stays fixed.

crowbuster
08-22-2013, 09:45 PM
No complaints 6 months on my 45 acp carbine. Accurate and loves lead. Buddy has 9 and 40 as well. All shhot well and are perfect for what they are. Got mine to ride along if I need to bug out with a bucket of ammo and my 1911.Trigger needs some help however.