PDA

View Full Version : Door from X-ray room safe?

jdhenry
10-11-2007, 03:36 AM
I have a guy that said I can have a door from an old x-ray room for free as long as I come pick it up.

I just want so see if it is safe to use. Also has anyone ever delt with one???

How much lead do you think I would end up with??

And is it worth it?

Thanks

mauser1959
10-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Get it , it is pure lead and is as safe as any other kind of lead that you can use . The most dangerous part of the lead from an x-ray dept is going to be melting it down due to lead fumes... same as melting any other bulllets.

randyrat
10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Yep, good stuff. I got one and i think it had a good 100 lbs but was a pain in the **** to seperate the laminate from the lead GLUED on. I smoked the yard up good that day and i wore a respirator.

Char-Gar
10-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Some years back, I got the lead sheathing from an entire X-Ray room when a hospital was being remodled. Came to about a ton. All good stuff... I have just about shot it all up. I mixed it with linotype to make No. 2

smokemjoe
10-11-2007, 08:24 AM
How much pure to lino. do you use. I got alot of pure also from X ray. Thanks- Joe

Ohio Rusty
10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I have a pure lead cask that radioactive isotopes came in. It's about the size of a small coffee can and must weigh 20 pounds of pure. Never melted it down and use it for a door stop mostly ....
Ohio Rusty

jdhenry
10-11-2007, 10:16 AM
The guy for got to tell me his job site was 100 miles down the road:( Not worth my time for around 100lbs.. I'd rather go buy some over priced ww's......5 min from home.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Bullshop
10-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Ohio Rusty
Those things are not pure lead. They are hard lead that will test at about the same as WW. I have about a ton of them in various sizes. The lead sheeting from the room itself is pure but not those containers.
BIC/BS

454PB
10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
I have some, and Bullshop is right. Mine hardness test at 11 BHN.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1278&d=1144720231

fatnhappy
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Ohio Rusty
Those things are not pure lead. They are hard lead that will test at about the same as WW. I have about a ton of them in various sizes. The lead sheeting from the room itself is pure but not those containers.
BIC/BS

I have a bunch too, my wife works in Radiological Oncology, and bless her heart, she knows my affinity for lead. Mine also test out pretty close to WW.

jdhenry
10-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Anyone around Portland Oregon that would want to get the door?? P.M me and I'll give you the guys #

It would be a shame for this to go to a meth-head just to be scrapped:(

Scrounger
10-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Isn't Orygun Mark, or Crazy Mark as he calls himself now, in the Portland area? Someone should contact him.

crazy mark
10-12-2007, 12:08 AM
About 105 miles south. I work at a medical center and get all sorts of containers and lead sheets free. Doors are a pain to render down. Thanks for thinking of me though. Mark

bigbear
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm a health care professional, which areas in the hospital should I be poking/asking around for scrap lead? Thanks.

Char-Gar
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Joe... I mixed either 50-50 lino to lead or 4 - 5.5 - .5 (lbs) lino, lead and tin. Bullets come out in the 15 to 16 Bhn range.

trooperdan
10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Bigbear, check with nuclear medicine; the isotopes they use come in lead casks. Also, obviously any X-ray lab and don't forget the dental lab! Even those little films they use are protected with a thin lead foil.

Shiloh
10-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Several years ago, the Radiology Dept remodeled and removed many hundreds of pounds of sheet lead. Management was bemoaning that it would cost a bundle to have Haz Mat folks haul away the lead, as there was LOTS !!

A few enterprising fellows suggested that if it was left on the loading dock on Friday, close to the edge for convenient dragging, it would be gone by Monday, with no expensive disposal fees.

This was shot in BP rifles and alloyed with other lead to become some fine shooting boolits!!
Shooters were happy, the bean counters were happy also!!

Shiloh :castmine:

Aaron
10-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Bigbear, I'll tell what dept in the hospital to check with. It is not X-ray, the techs will just look at you like you are crazy. Nuc Med is a possibility, but in todays world, unlikely. Typically radiopharmaceuticals come in unit dose containers that are sent back to the nuclear pharmacy. The nuc med dept would have to be a big dept to break down their own generators. You can ask the nuclear medicine dept where they get their radiopharmaceuticals from and check with their supplying pharmacy. There is rarely more than one nuclear pharmacy in a town with a population of 300,000 or less. That is where the 20-40 pound lead pigs come from that others here speak of. They are what the bulk radioactive isotope is shipped in and what the unit doses are drawn from. Anyway, here's the secret, check with the bio med or clinical engineering dept. If they do most of the work on the X-ray equipment or even have a first look contract, they will probably have a few hundred pounds stashed somewhere. Likely they have shooters in the dept though...

Aaron

bigbear
10-14-2007, 12:45 PM
THANKS!!! Will get on it tomorrow.

crazy mark
10-14-2007, 11:37 PM
The regular Hospital engineers usually have access to more lead. The Bio's don't usually like to get dirty so they "allow" the engineers to remove the lead. If it comes out of a x-ray head it is usually covered in oil. Mark